Writing How do you describe voice?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

Currently having trouble trying to describe a male character's voice for a story. Its not deep at all but not that light. Trying to avoid describing the character and making it sound like feminine.

How do you describe voices in your story?

D

Deleted member 45782

Tenor is the high range for men, with baritone being in the middle.
Have heard of that before. Trying to find other ways to describe their voice beyond just a nice tenor voice.

Funnyface

Describe it as high pitched yet masculine or describe everyone else’s voice as a ‘rough growl’ or similar.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Basically, try to compare voices to sounds on what you hear, such as a guy's tone being metal screeching softly(like being high tone for a man) or something like that. I dunno since I am not really good at giving discriptions out of my knowledge.

skillet

a frying pan
you could also just say "his voice was not deep, but also not that light"
That's a valid description in my book haha

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Currently having trouble trying to describe a male character's voice for a story. Its not deep at all but not that light. Trying to avoid describing the character and making it sound like feminine.

How do you describe voices in your story?
I usually avoid direct adjectives in the topic of voices. It's definitely useful and paints a vivid image, but sometimes simply calling it "dark voice" or "deep voice" or "high-pitched" or "baritone" or "growl" or "gruff" gets boring. I know I've listed a lot of examples but let's be real, you're gonna get tired of it soon after writing it for so long.

Instead of going for boring adjectives, I write comparisons and analogies.

Say you have a soft voice, and a high-pitched one at that. Instead of simply writing THAT, I write: She had a voice that would shatter from a drop of a hammer.

And what if I want to write about a guy who's very convincing? I could simply write that he has a convincing tone, or I could write: He could sell you a brick and you'd buy it.

A guy with a deep tone? I could say: It was as if God gave him a cavern for a windpipe.

A guy with a squeaky voice? I'd write: Every word he uttered was like twinging a high note a badly tuned guitar.

It's more interesting for me as a writer, and probably interesting for readers too.

Saileri

Your Friendly Neighborhood IT Guy

Draconite

Exist in the void
Voice is a phenomenon caused by the vibration of the vocal cords which produces sounds that the human ears can hear

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
I don't really have the words you need but I do have an idea of how to deal with the situation. You can describe his voice through the words or thoughts of another character who also doesn't have the words to describe them.

Something like - "His voice had something that attracted me. Although not deep, there was something distinctly masculine and comforting about it."

I have no idea of what situation is going on but you can tweak it to suit.

D

Deleted member 45782

you could also just say "his voice was not deep, but also not that light"
That's a valid description in my book haha
Gp. XD
Something like - "His voice had something that attracted me. Although not deep, there was something distinctly masculine and comforting about it."
Sounds like perfect sentence i wanna use to describe him. Thanks! :D

I feel like this would really help me describe the character's voice, besides just how they say things as. 😍😍

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

morhamza

Honestly, I kind of write in a daze. Words pop up in my head and I go with it. Descriptions therefore aren't my forte, but I try to describe as little as possible to give readers room to imagine.

That said, descriptions are all about being creative for me. I could go, "his voice was a deep growl that almost vibrated the air around him when he spoke," or, "he had a nice soothing voice. It wasn't too low, nor too high pitched. It had a nice soothing effect on all who heard it, a voice song birds would envy."