Dump your abandoned story ideas here

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
As title said. Felt like dumpling some of mine and decided to make a thread where everyone could do that. I can't remember if there already was one though.
An eldritch creature that feeds on the despair of living things. It exists outside all of space and time and occasionally gets attracted by despair of some creatures in some fragments of spacetime.

It would then find the cause of the despair and act in the usual contract with the devil manner, enticing its victims to sell their despair to it in exchange for a wish. The actual price is the soul of its victim and everything about them: their thoughts and memories and feelings and bodies become parts of a greater whole that is the demon. The victims now become the hosts, they are vessels for the demon to act. They keep their own autonomy and largely are the persons they used to be, but also no longer their previous selves, serving only the demon's will.

The demon's hosts are bound by a set of rules called the dining etiquette that largely limit their actions and the number of their victims.

The demon would be featured in its own story that would have a character arc for each host out of a bunch, each would explain different kinds of despair and mostly would act to take revenge.

The main antagonists would be the Spacetime Bureau, a huge organisation made from the survivors of the worlds destroyed by the demon. Their goal would be to contain its influence.

It's place in my lore would be it being a servant of Aralthen Bo Trekkil, the Caterpillar of the Fog and a host of the demon would have a cameo in another one of my novels, "wasn't my life in another world supposed to be easy?"

Dropped because it's too hard to write so many characters and my interest fades too quickly
The firstborn of a minor feudal lord of the Russian Empire. It would be a slice of life about an earnest young man working to manage the several villages that he inherited, building an infrastructure and trying to make a profit. No magic or fantasy elements, no modern day references, it would be a historical drama that would go in-depth in the daily life of such a noble without any unrealistic elements.
I was inspired after reading World and Peace by Tolstoy and I very excited to try my hand at this, but I dropped it because the amount of research I would have to do and the limited time I have.
A series in the same setting as another novel of mine, Magic of Love. While Magic of Love would focus on the bigger picture behind the Demon Wave as well as the romantic relationships between its protagonist Jennifer and the overpowered yandere's after her, Magic of Live would be about a native citizen of Ulte trying to make it through a Demon Wave and it would be more action-oriented.
Dropped because I haven't finished Magic of Love and I have basically lost the interest in the world where the stories' settings would take place

CL

I just have the one idea that I don't want to write. The reason why is because I don't want to write sad stories. I'd rather write uplifting or fun ones. Something I can laugh or, at the very least, smile about.
Feel free to take this concept. It's not fleshed out, but a good idea to start rolling with whatever you all can imagine. :blob_popcorn:
The usual isekai, except that the parent has a very important reason to return to their world. And that reason is waiting for their mommy or daddy to come back home.

Malonymous

I just have the one idea that I don't want to write. The reason why is because I don't want to write sad stories. I'd rather write uplifting or fun ones. Something I can laugh or, at the very least, smile about.
Feel free to take this concept. It's not fleshed out, but a good idea to start rolling with whatever you all can imagine. :blob_popcorn:
The usual isekai, except that the parent has a very important reason to return to their world. And that reason is waiting for their mommy or daddy to come back home.

That reminds me of the TV show Continuum, not a single parent but female MC gets sent back in time away from her son. It has one of the best bittersweet endings I've seen from western TV.

I've had a lot of ideas for sci-fi over the years but I've always found fantasy easier to write, even when it was just worldbuilding. Here is one of my sci-fi favorites from a year ago:

WIP title: Clone 5 (because it's harder to come up with sci-fi titles too for some reason xD)

In the near future of Earth, a new deadly virus threatens to destabilize modern civilization by killing all exposed post-pubescent humans. The MC is a ~12 year old daughter of a prominent scientist who was teleported to a semi-abandoned offshore research station until the good guys find a cure and save the world. The only others on the station are an AI named Al (as in Albert, don't ask) and to her surprise a slightly older ~14 year old girl with darker hair we'll call girl 1 who is dark and brooding. MC is surprised because there wasn't supposed to be any other human there! Girl 1 says that the station's mech bay was apparently sabotaged when a transmission was received claiming to be a cure for the virus, except the 'cure' is just code that repurposes teleporters that draw from a biomass reservoir to create a slightly younger almost clone when normally the one teleported gets simultaneously deconstructed into biomass.

Al and girl 1 keep MC strangely in the dark about what is happening on the mainland. Eventually MC decides to try out the code because they need an extra set of hands to do a thing or whatever. The teleporter creates a slightly younger version of her only with memories up to when she was ~10 we'll call girl 2. MC is spunky/adventurous trope, girl 2 is cheerful/timid/klutz trope. They keep living on the station until girl 2 gets lonely with MC and girl 1 being better friends, so she uses the code to create another 'clone' that's a younger ~8 year old kuudere/child genius girl 3. Girl 1 flips out at girl 2 for being careless, and in a dramatic moment girl 3 goes to sacrifice herself back into biomass but MC tries to stop the process but can't and instead changes it. There's a glitch when the teleporter runs low on biomass and the last is used to create an even younger clone girl 4 who is the 'sleeps and hungry all the time' trope. Things are weird but happy for a while until MC wants to venture to the mainland with all 5 of them and find the source of the transmission, and girl 1 is strongly against. There's a dramatic climax where they fight until MC beats girl 1 and the truth is revealed: MC is a clone of girl 1 who was the original sent to the station two years ago (gasp!). Modern civilization on Earth is in ruins with no cure found and no signs of life, and watching the decline nearly drove girl 1 insane. Her hair was stained a darker color by oil in the mech bay explosion, her real hair color was similar to the clones. Girl 1 wanted to stay on the self-sufficient research station where they would be safe but eventually she agrees to help them repair the mech bay and the five of them teleport to the mainland in a mech that they pilot. (I abandoned outlining the specific story progression here because this was the most fun part and the rest is a slightly different genre)

The family of 5 clone 'sisters' encounter bandit survivors, a colony of children immune to the virus like Little Lamplight in Fallout 3, the remnants of the good guy faction working on a cure, and an evil organization who is trying to destroy what remains of humanity or some evil crap like that. The virus is revealed to target anyone with sufficiently short telomeres because cell telomeres get shorter with age as cells divide more, which is supposed to be one of those semi-plausible (but not really) sci-fi explanations for the phenomenon. Lots of suspense because girl 1 is right around the age where she could start getting infected by the virus, but she doesn't die because plot armor of course. Also suspense when girl 4 is analyzed and found to have immortal cells with telomeres that don't shrink and there's drama like "we should study her for the cure" "no she's our sister!!!!" kind of thing. Oh, and they meet girl 1's scientist father who had sent the original transmission to the offshore station as a backup plan, and it was supposed to be the cure by creating de-aged clones of the host who could be immune or something but it was never perfected until the glitch that created girl 4 and they make a cure serum with her help.

The climax occurs during the final battle when the good guys launch a raid on the enemy stronghold. MC and co. infiltrate and plan to teleport in elite fighters inside the base, but climactically they run short on biomass at the teleporter and the four clone sisters who were 'never supposed to be' agree to tragically sacrifice themselves into biomass so the good guys can complete the teleport. Girl 1 is devastated: they saved the world, but she lost her family of clone sisters :blob_teary:

It is said that a side-effect of repeated teleporting exposure can drive one insane. The story tragically ends to girl 1 going mad studying the teleporter data trying to get her sisters back...

...But that's too painful, so in the after-credits scene she succeeds and happily reunites with her sisters :blob_melt: The end.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
These aren't abandoned per say... Just put in the back burner since the skill level to write them requires too much of a degenerate like me.

A guy reincarnates in the body of his sister, he finds this odd but he then figures out his emotions are attached to an amulet his sister gave him which carried over to another world. Those emotions happen to belong to his sister... So he's straight!(or not) Without it, he can't feel shit and can only think logically. He has the power to "save" at one point in time, and "load" back when he dies. Problem is, he's just a little girl so he needs the help of others to get anywhere. Essentially, genderbent re:zero but Honda gets a cheat code by abandoning her emotions... Which means abandoning his sister... Yeah.

A girl wakes up, and all she knows is that she's a demon lord and has to protect her demon core. Elder demon lord infodumps her and tells her she has to suck the life out of a world to grow stronger and that she has to fight gods that can squish her with a finger and the only reason they don't is a contract with elder demon lord's that stipulate they have to send heros instead. She gets the combined personality of her demon core and elder demon lord which both happen to be complete perverts, strangely this makes her less of a pervert. If you couldn't tell, demon core is reincarnated dude. Her objective is to survive for 100 years so she can open a portal and gtfo.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I have a handwritten draft of this, and I started typing some of it, but I gave up on it long ago. I'll dump it here just in case anyone finds it interesting.

A village healer in a polyamorous society can "see" inside human bodies and manipulate them on the cellular level.

Before she discovers her powers, she loses her first love in an attack by an evil god-king, who has his own terrifying ability to read the mind of anyone he is touching. The god-king and his sons abduct several village women and rape others that they leave behind. In a previous attack many years ago, the mother of her best friend was raped. The mother of her best friend dies in childbirth. As a result, her best friend becomes her adopted sister. Her mother sets our protagonist up with new men. She likes them, but she refuses to have vaginal intercourse with them, knowing that she cannot become the village healer if she becomes a mother. Instead, she decides to become a father by manipulating the genetic material from her own eggs into her boyfriend's sperm. She impregnates her best friend in a threesome, and her best friend gives birth to a daughter. As a father, she brings food and other gifts to her best friend often. She has no responsibility to care for the child, but she and her boyfriend help out every so often because children are adorable. This is similar to the "walking marriage" of the Mosuo:

Our protagonist becomes an apprentice to the current village healer and learns how to use herbs even though her abilities are far more effective. Eventually, she takes over and becomes the new village healer in a ceremony that involves performing surgery on herself. She cauterizes her own fallopian tubes rather than using her powers, as tradition demands.

The god-king returns to terrorize the village and decides to occupy it this time. He kills all the males in the village, and he and his sons force the women into marriage. He rapes the protagonist and abuses her because she does not produce a child. After enduring the abuse for several months, the protagonist uses her powers to heal her fallopian tubes and bears a child for the god-king. His treatment of her does not improve.

Eventually, the protagonist discovers the god-king's weakness and defeats him. It has something to do with the bronze helmet he always wears. Oh, and her best friend has the power to manipulate metal, so her best friend makes a weapon for the protagonist to use against the god-king.

I hope that was clear enough. If anybody is interested in taking this up, please let me know, and I can edit it. If it's good enough, I might even tell my boss to publish it. Yes, that's TELL, not ASK. You have to be a good writer, though. Also, I want lots of sex scenes in it!

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
The usual isekai, except that the parent has a very important reason to return to their world. And that reason is waiting for their mommy or daddy to come back home
There was a story called Displaced where the main Summoned Antagonist had this as her motivation. But I stopped reading it a few months ago because something about it frustrated me too much.
Her objective is to survive for 100 years so she can open a portal and gtfo.
I like this one. Sounds like it'll be a little too heavy on the Ecchi stuff, but you can't have everything.
She has no responsibility to care for the child, but she helps out every so often because children are adorable.
This reminds me of one of my own abandoned stories. One of the Monster Lords.
After enduring the abuse for several months, the protagonist uses her powers to heal her fallopian tubes and bears a child for the god-king.
This deeply confuses me. That power is horrifically OP in terms of combat potential, so I can't imagine someone who has it either not killing him immediately, or dying in the process. If his domination is absolute, then she would never have the opportunity to discover his weakness or exploit it. Basically the plot falls apart as soon as he comes back to occupy some meaningless village and personally enslave its random villagers...

Well, my own abandoned stories are fairly easy to summarize, I guess.

I had a DnD Campaign about a group I called the Oddities, which were a bunch of really, really weird monsters and 'monsters' that grouped up around the MC and went around helping people. The whole point was to make characters that defied stereotypes. For instance, Harpy Knight. Werekin Monk. Yandere Yuan-ti. Fun times.

Then I had a very Isekai inspired story where the whole world was newly created and being populated sporadically by 'supernatural' means. I was leaning heavily into a theme of Four sets of similar beings. Four Summoned Heroes, Four Demon Kings, Four Monster Lords, Four Lesser Dragons, and two sets of Four Average-Not so Average People(Humans and Demi Humans). It was a shitstorm of epic proportions. I also tried to integrate it with a more typical Isekai setting that I was working on, but that sort of ruined the theme of Four, since it meant there were extra heroes and demon lords. In the end, I really don't like anime tropes as much as I thought I did. 😅

Lastly was my first idea, before I got heavily invested in either of those other stories. It was based on an idea all of my novels inherited. In a parallel world multiverse, you could theoretically end up in a world where everyone made 'the right decisions'. For example, religion and magic were never conceived of, and instead everyone devoted their focus to advancing animal husbandry and genetic manipulation. A world of pure biotechnology. And the idea I had was for a world of Biotech, a world of Tech, a world of Magic, and a world of Religion; all to be squished together (like in a certain Piers Anthony story) into a single world with access to all of the most powerful technologies of the four worlds. I have no desire to continue writing that specific story, but all of my stories use that general layout. My current novel is sort of... a distilled version of that old idea.

Reactions: CL

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I like this one. Sounds like it'll be a little too heavy on the Ecchi stuff, but you can't have everything.
I thought up of that one when I was still a horny teen lurking the depths of reddit, so that's probably why. I still am, but my degeneracy goes to things other than my writing. I remember the way she's supposed to escape is to gather enough power and "become one" with her demon core ;). The process isn't actually lewd, but I guess it's kinda like marriage?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This deeply confuses me. That power is horrifically OP in terms of combat potential, so I can't imagine someone who has it either not killing him immediately, or dying in the process. If his domination is absolute, then she would never have the opportunity to discover his weakness or exploit it. Basically the plot falls apart as soon as he comes back to occupy some meaningless village and personally enslave its random villagers...
I just remembered the god-king has the power to read minds, not control them, and he has to be touching a person to do it.

It's more of a cultural/moral/personal/psychological thing on why she doesn't kill him immediately. The men are supposed to protect the women and do the fighting. The men of her village failed her by dying, and she's suffered too much trauma to fight back immediately. Aside from that, the god-king has his moments when he treats her well. The thing is that I wrote this stuff towards/during the end of the relationship with my emotionally abusive ex-boyfriend (2009-2014) so I personally experienced this stuff. That's why I lost the motivation to write the story as well. My life got better, and I didn't feel like reliving that stuff again.

What is her breaking point? Well, she uses some DNA from one of her boyfriends that she stored inside her body to produce the child, and when the god-king finds out it's not his, he brutally murders it.
Again, it has been so long since I wrote this, and I can't remember fully, but maybe she's the only one whose mind can't be read, and that's why the god-king finds her more intriguing than the other women. She's a challenge, a trophy. Breaking her is pleasurable to him. Maybe he's telekinetic, too. Maybe she's actually a descendant of his tribe, since most people in her village don't have special powers.
Actually, come to think of it, her best friend is a descendant of his tribe. Her best friend's mother was raped at a very young age and died in childbirth, not abducted now that I'm piecing the story back together in my mind.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
too much trauma to fight back immediately
I only feel spite balanced against fear when someone goes after me, so I guess it's hard for me to understand. I'd honestly rather die with my teeth in the other party's throat than get raped. I'm pretty weak though, so success is unlikely. I can understand running away if the price isn't too high, but my fuse is way too short to stick around and do nothing.
Well, I get how it can happen, I guess. I just can't relate to it at all.

Yamemai

Uhh, some sort of story book hero thing.
Basically some mage/bard combination that lets you sort of become characters of stories you've added to your grimoire or whatever.

Edit: To add on; IIRC, the backstory: some noble controlling some territory had taken initiatives to ensure the orphans in their territory become productive adults, building orphanages and getting people to hire said orphans. MC, as you can guess, is an orphan. He enjoyed the bard tales and was able to get a job helping the library and cleaning bars. Think it there was a class system, and MC's starting/unlocked class was storyteller, but he wanted to adventure like some of the tales were about. Was able to after getting some sort of skill/class combo, or something like that. Dunno, was years ago.

Last edited:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Uhh, some sort of story book hero thing.
Basically some mage/bard combination that lets you sort of become characters of stories you've added to your grimoire or whatever.
Imagine fighting Monty Python or Sherlock Holmes.

CL

There was a story called Displaced where the main Summoned Antagonist had this as her motivation. But I stopped reading it a few months ago because something about it frustrated me too much.
Thank you for making me aware of its existence. I'll likely give it a peek sometime this week (and see what's frustrating about it too). :blobthumbsup:

EternalSunset0

As title said. Felt like dumpling some of mine and decided to make a thread where everyone could do that. I can't remember if there already was one though.
An eldritch creature that feeds on the despair of living things. It exists outside all of space and time and occasionally gets attracted by despair of some creatures in some fragments of spacetime.

It would then find the cause of the despair and act in the usual contract with the devil manner, enticing its victims to sell their despair to it in exchange for a wish. The actual price is the soul of its victim and everything about them: their thoughts and memories and feelings and bodies become parts of a greater whole that is the demon. The victims now become the hosts, they are vessels for the demon to act. They keep their own autonomy and largely are the persons they used to be, but also no longer their previous selves, serving only the demon's will.

The demon's hosts are bound by a set of rules called the dining etiquette that largely limit their actions and the number of their victims.

The demon would be featured in its own story that would have a character arc for each host out of a bunch, each would explain different kinds of despair and mostly would act to take revenge.

The main antagonists would be the Spacetime Bureau, a huge organisation made from the survivors of the worlds destroyed by the demon. Their goal would be to contain its influence.

It's place in my lore would be it being a servant of Aralthen Bo Trekkil, the Caterpillar of the Fog and a host of the demon would have a cameo in another one of my novels, "wasn't my life in another world supposed to be easy?"

Dropped because it's too hard to write so many characters and my interest fades too quickly
The firstborn of a minor feudal lord of the Russian Empire. It would be a slice of life about an earnest young man working to manage the several villages that he inherited, building an infrastructure and trying to make a profit. No magic or fantasy elements, no modern day references, it would be a historical drama that would go in-depth in the daily life of such a noble without any unrealistic elements.
I was inspired after reading World and Peace by Tolstoy and I very excited to try my hand at this, but I dropped it because the amount of research I would have to do and the limited time I have.
A series in the same setting as another novel of mine, Magic of Love. While Magic of Love would focus on the bigger picture behind the Demon Wave as well as the romantic relationships between its protagonist Jennifer and the overpowered yandere's after her, Magic of Live would be about a native citizen of Ulte trying to make it through a Demon Wave and it would be more action-oriented.
Dropped because I haven't finished Magic of Love and I have basically lost the interest in the world where the stories' settings would take place
Does it have to be full stories or initial premises? Because my series is the first time I tried writing anything of this capacity, but the concept has been around since 2017. Just had to rework stuff because I wrote myself into a wall back then. It's a good thing the story never made it out of my docs, or else it would have become another one of those abruptly abandoned stuff :sweating_profusely:

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Does it have to be full stories or initial premises? Because my series is the first time I tried writing anything of this capacity, but the concept has been around since 2017. Just had to rework stuff because I wrote myself into a wall back then. It's a good thing the story never made it out of my docs, or else it would have become another one of those abruptly abandoned stuff :sweating_profusely:
Anything you consider 'abandoned'. I mainly made this thread so that these premises wouldn't be forgotten and so that you (as in the person who put the premise) could return it whenever.
Also out of curiosity but that's not important

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
There was a book I was writing 6 years ago, but I gave up after about 100 pages, and I'm simply not feeling it anymore to ever continue. I'm pretty sure the text files are lost, but here is the synopsis

The work of fiction I envisioned 6 years ago-but sadly, never finished-was a magical girl science fantasy likley inspired by shows such as Lyrical Nanoha, Symphogear, Strike Witches etc. It was set in alternate universe 2040's, where humanity was more or less unified under the guiadance of much more efficent version of UN and under the constant attack of otherworldly monsters from the dimension known as the Abyss, which resembled a mix of Symphogear's Noise and Gastrea from Black Bullet.

To protect against these monsters the UN have selected young girls with high aptitude for magic(normally not present in males) to essentially be child soldiers.

However humanity's struggle for survival was just a background of the main plot line that
followed unreliable narration from the perspective of 3 protagonists-each of them representing a different side of the conflict.

The first faction indtroduced to the reader is the UN's Science and Research Department, represented by enigmatic figure of Professor X. We're introduced to them one day after The Incident, a battle between forces unknown, fought at night over the skies of Hong Kong that resulted in signifcant damage and civilian casualities in one of its most populated districts. Professor arrives personally to examine the battlefield, making comments, predictions and sharing her observations with the ever loyal Assistant. Eventually they discover a wreckage of unregistered machinery crashed into one of the civilian apartments and from the rubble they recover a cybernetically cybernetically enhanced body of young Cyborg, still breathing.....

The second faction was the Moon Rabbits. Called so for cybernetic implants resembling ears screwed to their head, they are ancient human sub race composed of women only, inhabiting the Moon-in truth, a huge space colony/battlestation hidden inside a rock. For millenia they were seperated from the rest of humanity, looking down on Earth with disdain, and only with the recent outbreak of the monsters from the Abyss they decided to get involved. Every single one of them is capable of magic, and they "breed" in machines through cloning and advanced gene manipulation. They are also capable of controlling the transfer of very soul, and indeed, they keep dabs on who gets reincarnated into who and when. Thus, from certain point of view, they are "immortal".

The main protagonist of this perspective is top operative called Rabbit A. Her objective is to guard the reincarnated Princess during dangerous operation meant to forcefully retrieve a VIP Crystal escorted in convoy one faithful night in the human city of Hong Kong, during the battle that will become an Incident....
However this storyline begins several days before the incident, detailing Rabbit A's life in 1984 inspired Moon society, with lore dumping about technology and introducing minnor bunny characters.

Final faction was the Corporation, a finiancial and criminal gargantuan operating from North Korean capital of Pyonyang. It was led by 10 year old genius girl known as The Leader, and the main protagonist is her right hand The Agent. Their storyline begins right during the Incident and detail their sucessful acquisition of the VIP Crystal from the hands of both the UN Convoy and suddenly appeared force of Moon Rabbits led by the Princess. The price paid was the loss of one of their top artifically created magical girls, the Cyborg.....

So that was the gist of the prologue. Many pages were also spend detailing the technology and lore of the world presented, from the moon rabbit tech to magical girl weapons forged from the rare ores mined from the Abyss, the rarest of which is the VIP Crytal ore which was supposed to be central to the unwritten rest of the story.

It doesnt sound so long, right? but somehow it took me 100 pages to write just that. 100 pages of rewriting everything over and over again, never satisifed with quality of my writing, and faced with gargantuan task ahead I just dorpped it. I gave up.

All the names given are of course just placeholders as I suck at inventing names.

skillet

a frying pan
uhhh this is a synopsis that happened (long story, but basically I was playing this 'you're a writer!' game and I edited the auto-generated synopsis to this because it felt more interesting) but will probably not happen so I'll leave this here. It reads like a YA novel, actually. Lol.

Gasten was supposed to be the next Academy Mage. He became a killer instead.
Everyone knows of the prophecy about a hero who would come to save them all, and they had never been so in need of one as when the orcs invaded the unprepared kingdom of Morzecia. So they hold th Tournament, put together to call forth the true hero of the prophecies... which fugitive Gasten should have nothing to do about.
But at the end of the Toru Tournament, Morzecia will have to see that even a killer mage like him can do something beneficial for their kingdom.

side note: if I wrote this, Gasten would not have been the prophesied hero. That's usually not how I roll (lol). Also, Morzecia is such a nice name so I might at least use that one day :D

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
My abandoned story ideas? Well, they're more like lost story ideas. I'm still looking for them.