Any Personal Quirks/Kinks Made It to Your Writing?

Armored99

Harem-phobic
9cc3be8a63808e90e80accfc79aece00--really-funny-memes-film-quotes.jpg

BackWoodsJ_ACK

Birbs, dog, and burbers
I like to have MCs with a gray morality since i don't like goodie goodie main characters who're to scared to get their hands dirty. Also, I like writing gray morality stories 'cause I lean more towards it.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Well, yes. Personality quirks abound. I'm practically a living mass of personality quirks! As for kinks. . . Mmmmaaybe I've been thinking of some BDSM stuff with a certain Tomboy and Half-Elf Girl combo. (Hint, the tomboy is the submissive one)

Also; Holy crap, did I just see a picture of Shiroyasha? I love Problem Children! Especially her.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I tend to have the mc start ignorant of the world, but have them think they are smart/knowledgeable. Good for Lovecraftian horror, but that could just be the haughty young master trope if used slightly differently...

EternalSunset0

Well, yes. Personality quirks abound. I'm practically a living mass of personality quirks! As for kinks. . . Mmmmaaybe I've been thinking of some BDSM stuff with a certain Tomboy and Half-Elf Girl combo. (Hint, the tomboy is the submissive one)

Also; Holy crap, did I just see a picture of Shiroyasha? I love Problem Children! Especially her.
I thought the elf would have been the sub at first haha.

Yay another fan of proto-NGNL, as it's often been joked about.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I like to have MCs with a gray morality since i don't like goodie goodie main characters who're to scared to get their hands dirty. Also, I like writing gray morality stories 'cause I lean more towards it.
On this, I usually have the mc start on one side, only to move into the grey area. For example, in Junji Ito’s Uzumaki the character Shuichi Saito.
starts ignorant, and gradually figures out what’s happening. He didn’t start grey, but quickly became so. With the grey area being wanting to leave Kurouzu-cho, because the town was a spiral keeping its inhabitants in, this shows that he was willing to break from the norm.
I have fun making grey areas unique to the worlds in my stories. So, shifting from normal to grey, allows my characters to breathe life into the world around them!

Vicky

No matter what I write, I have to actively keep myself from turning the chapter into masochist smut.

HokuouTenrou

Pretty much the reason why I started writing in the first place lol

Unless it's galge, my favorite kind of heroine usually never treated as a serious contender, let alone won. So there you have it, a main heroine who is a blonde, busty, blue-eyed, British bourgeois Senpai with small drills as a side dish (hair?) and (relatively) cool/calm personality; not a tsundere or... Uhh... Charlotte/Rem expy. You know, those kind.
Even the side "heroines" are deliberately made older than the protagonist, whether it's Senpai or Sensei. And yes, assertive (even though inexperienced) onee-san types are the best.

Or how about the protagonist, since I usually like the shounen rival/lancer types but I (try to) make them more affable; I dislike the "dumb" hot blooded shounen MCs, I dislike the unrealistically scared harem MCs, but I ALSO dislike their (apparent) antithesis a.k.a. the edgy, fuck everyone """chad""" "anti-hero" (although I do try to write my MC as a soft anti-hero, if only because I dislike the knightly, paragon types too). I mean, why went to the extremes, is what I never understand.

every story i write eventually will turn into a cultivation novel for some reason

probably since i read so much of them, it started seeping into my blood

_oinkchan

As authors, we all have our own biases. We all have stuff that we all hate or love so much from a personal standpoint. How have you noticed those appearing in your work? Any personal character traits you like/hate that you intentionally transpose into your characters or world, probably stuff that readers would notice eventually as they read more of your story/stories?

Perhaps a specific design choice that you unconsciously put on a lot of your characters, or you can share even the more risque sides of the equation.

And yes, I intentionally worded the title that way to include the more NSFW sides of the whole thing. So yeah, come at me with your fetishes and such, too. Maybe you find yourself writing smut that heavily favors a certain kind? Maybe you find yourself really loving to torment your characters or have them mentally break down? Or maybe you're so fond of shounen anime you double down on the nakama power or something?
Yeah, my mc too narcissistic. He likes rubber duckies.

ForestDweller

So there you have it, a main heroine who is a blonde, busty, blue-eyed, British bourgeois Senpai with small drills as a side dish (hair?) and (relatively) cool/calm personality; not a tsundere or... Uhh... Charlotte/Rem expy. You know, those kind.
Even the side "heroines" are deliberately made older than the protagonist, whether it's Senpai or Sensei. And yes, assertive (even though inexperienced) onee-san types are the best.

You're my kind of writer. (y)

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Hm.

I noticed that I've been adopting my MC's quirks lately, rather than the other way around. I've always done something similar when reading, so that I can physically imagine what the characters are doing. But now it's just getting excessive, since I started writing consistently.

The thing I do notice about a lot of my characters(especially when drawing) is the color purple. I don't know why. It's not even my favorite color. But for some reason it feels like it's the perfect color to match whatever skin tone or outfit. I've had to stop myself from making purple things. It's bizarre.

More intentionally, I like to make my characters quiet and decisive. But not because I act that way, it's because I envy that kind of personality. I do spend a lot of time in silence, thinking. But the second I open my mouth, it's like my ability to think flies out the window. Typing really is the best...

As for kinks... My story is smut free. Sorry. 😜

Flashwolf96

Kuuderes. I will never not put a kuudere (or otherwise stoic character) in my stories.

No but seriously, I love psychological stuff. I think I said it best in my very first forum post:

As for me, I prefer protagonists (and characters in general) that show off the vulnerabilities of the human conscience. I find it extremely interesting to watch how a person suffers after experiencing great tragedy, or to see how a person with an unhealthy or self-destructive mindset thinks and interacts with others. Not that I'm good at writing either of those things, but still.

To that end, I find myself liking weaker characters that struggle to overcome personal issues such as low-self esteem, anxiety, inferiority complexes, and the like. Whether they find a way to overcome these issues or fall deeper into them until they're consumed by their own insecurities doesn't matter to me as much as seeing the developments leading up to that point.

Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance is a favorite of mine, and Aku no Hana is also up there in that same vein. I also loved the beginning of the manhwa See, Hear, Love, as it showed through flashback sequences the protagonist's slow descent into despair as he began to lose his vision while trying to simultaneously take care of his mentally-ill mother and work as a manhwa artist.

Am I a psychopath? Probably. Do I care? Nope.

My friend/editor hates how often I pitch story ideas to him that feature protagonists that are basically terrible people, like with my story Dregs Game, because he swears they would make excellent antagonists, and yet I still insist on making them protagonists instead. The reason is because it's far more interesting and relatable to me to explore the morally grey area of characters who do bad things but also had bad things done to them that influenced their mindset, as opposed to people who are inherently good or inherently bad. I resonate with characters like that the most, and I can't not have that part of me reflect in my own writing.

Uh... tl;dr, I love nothing more than when fictional characters prove that they are truly human by being selfish, cowardly, petty, greedy, and, as I put it in the most recent chapter of my story Micah Ever After, disgustingly imperfect. Striving to be a "good" person despite our flaws is what makes us human, and any character that shows how truly hard it is to accomplish become instantly memorable to me.

Edit: Did that... address the topic? I know I have a bad habit of rambling, so I hope it did. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a firm believer that no matter how much we try to hide it, deep down we're all selfish, cowardly, petty, greedy, and disgustingly imperfect people, and that cynicism will almost always translate into my writing and create stories that are inherently dark most of the time.

Last edited:

ForestDweller

I mean, when in anime, you just see it in passing instead of having the action stop or having it plastered all across the screen. I'm not picky, but there's an art to pseudo-subtlety

Maybe like in those action shots where a miniskirt wearing girl jumps, and someone will catch it as a freeze-frame bonus of the panties slightly peeking out.

Speaking of that, it's really hard to translate that into writing.

Like the meme of how anime camera angles are perverted. How do you translate that to words? A pantyshot is only a pantyshot if another character sees them.

EternalSunset0

Speaking of that, it's really hard to translate that into writing.

Like the meme of how anime camera angles are perverted. How do you translate that to words? A pantyshot is only a pantyshot if another character sees them.
You really can't. Probably go into the head of a character for the scene and make a slight commentary of it.
Edit: Did that... address the topic? I know I have a bad habit of rambling, so I hope it did. What I'm trying to say is, I'm a firm believer that no matter how much we try to hide it, deep down we're all selfish, cowardly, petty, greedy, and disgustingly imperfect people, and that cynicism will almost always translate into my writing and create stories that are inherently dark most of the time.
Both that and the Kuudere answer would do.
Unless it's galge, my favorite kind of heroine usually never treated as a serious contender, let alone won. So there you have it, a main heroine who is a blonde, busty, blue-eyed, British bourgeois Senpai with small drills as a side dish (hair?) and (relatively) cool/calm personality; not a tsundere or... Uhh... Charlotte/Rem expy. You know, those kind.

Or how about the protagonist, since I usually like the shounen rival/lancer types but I (try to) make them more affable; I dislike the "dumb" hot blooded shounen MCs, I dislike the unrealistically scared harem MCs, but I ALSO dislike their (apparent) antithesis a.k.a. the edgy, fuck everyone """chad""" "anti-hero" (although I do try to write my MC as a soft anti-hero, if only because I dislike the knightly, paragon types too). I mean, why went to the extremes, is what I never understand.
Those girls never win lol. That example reminds me of Seles from Bahamut Chronicles. Or Claudia from Asterisk War.

I'm also not fond of the hotblooded MCs. Same with the uber edgy anti-hero types, too.

I noticed that I've been adopting my MC's quirks lately, rather than the other way around. I've always done something similar when reading, so that I can physically imagine what the characters are doing. But now it's just getting excessive, since I started writing consistently.

The thing I do notice about a lot of my characters(especially when drawing) is the color purple. I don't know why. It's not even my favorite color. But for some reason it feels like it's the perfect color to match whatever skin tone or outfit. I've had to stop myself from making purple things. It's bizarre.

More intentionally, I like to make my characters quiet and decisive. But not because I act that way, it's because I envy that kind of personality. I do spend a lot of time in silence, thinking. But the second I open my mouth, it's like my ability to think flies out the window. Typing really is the best...

As for kinks... My story is smut free. Sorry. 😜
Doesn't have to be smut to insert a few fetishes here and there :s_wink:

Interesting observation on the color purple.

And yeah, I can relate to that in the character department. As I heard from someone, it's not uncommon that we model our characters after parts of ourselves or at least the self that we want to have.

HokuouTenrou

Those girls never win lol. That example reminds me of Seles from Bahamut Chronicles. Or Claudia from Asterisk War.

I'm also not fond of the hotblooded MCs. Same with the uber edgy anti-hero types, too.
1st point is really sad for me lol. Celis & Claudia, along with IS' Cecilia and Unionism's Silveria, are definitely secondary inspirations for my main heroine; primary is WalRoma's Celia (feels like I mentioned this before? or was it with someone else?)

2nd point, I actually don't mind some hot-blooded guys, I should probably wrote it as "the typical dumb, hot-blooded Shounen J*mp MCs" lol
Some hot-blooded guys like Brave series' Maito and Gai are really cool and smart (wait, both of them are super robot pilots...)