How do you comment on chapters without sounding like an idiot or writing something almost meaningless?

RyreGruel

I know it’s a stupid question but how do you write a meaningful comment on chapters that aren’t a climax without sounding like an idiot for trying to make comments with literally just fluff for content?

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
As an author I'm happy with any comment on my chapter even if it's just a thank you or an emoji. It shows that someone cares enough about my story to at least leave a message. In any case, if you want you can just say something that stood out to you in the chapter.

EternalSunset0

As an author I'm happy with any comment on my chapter even if it's just a thank you or an emoji. It shows that someone cares enough about my story to at least leave a message. In any case, if you want you can just say something that stood out to you in the chapter.
Seconded. I literally don't mind fluff comments because some of them also open the floor for conversation.

Cipiteca396

🌺🌑🐉🪶 Anxiety Overdrive
I often wonder this when reading. Then when I write, I'm like, "Ah, only one comment again." lol. Those emoji comments are ironically the right idea, I think.

Most non-emoji comments are questions or answers. As in, the author asked something and got answers, or the readers wanted to know something. Without those, it's hard to start a conversation.

Then again, they're called comments because you commented on the chapters contents. It's alright if it's a bit redundant, I suppose, just saying what happened in the chapter and how you reacted to it. If you didn't react at all, that means the chapter didn't need to exist, right? That's sad as an author. If it did need to exist as build up or something, than it's fine to say something like, "Ooh, I wonder/ This looks interesting/ looking forward to next" or whatever.

(Now if only someone could tell me how to respond to them without scaring people away. :blob_nom:)

SailusGebel

Write about your speculations or the things you did like in the chapter. You can write a comment with mild criticism, it's valuable and meaningful, or you can point out a typo, which is a great help for an author. Some authors like it when you ask them questions about the story.

Redemit

I only comment when I have a question a correction a joke a suspicion or if the chapter was beyond my expectations and very very rarely a complaint and I hate seeing those "thanks for the chapter" people they just seem so robotic to me

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I hate seeing those "thanks for the chapter" people they just seem so robotic to me
I completely disagree with this, what is wrong with showing your thanks for a chapter? I know it's basically copy and paste, but they're still appreciating the author's works. First comments on the other hand... Well I wouldn't mind them on my story, but I can understand that it can get annoying.

Derin_Edala

You can just quote your favourite line and say "this made me laugh" or "this character is so stupid I love him" or whatever response it evokes in you. It's easy and authors love this kind of feedback because it's extremely valuable in telling us what sorts of lines are hitting the best.

SailusGebel

I completely disagree with this, what is wrong with showing your thanks for a chapter? I know it's basically copy and paste, but they're still appreciating the author's works. First comments on the other hand... Well I wouldn't mind them on my story, but I can understand that it can get annoying.
When people thank me for the chapter, I assume they didn't like the chapter enough to write something meaningful. In other words, when I see thanks, I know that I failed as an author, so I don't like the "thank you" type of comments that much. They are good to gauge the number of people still invested in your story, though.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
I had a comment asking so much questions.
So i told the reader this.
Did you read chapter 1 or you skipped it cause chapter one should give you a idea or clue.
Cause anyone familiar with a religions about a god can easily know that the god changed the MC game avatar tp female and changed it's name.
I just sighed cause i was targeting people who are familiar with religion or god's sending someone into another kind of series like anime and manga.
Comments differ depending on the story you made and how you made the series.

Last edited:

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
When people thank me for the chapter, I assume they didn't like the chapter enough to write something meaningful. In other words, when I see thanks, I know that I failed as an author, so I don't like the "thank you" type of comments that much. They are good to gauge the number of people still invested in your story, though.
Please don't think like that. Some people say thank you because they genuinely just want to thank the author for releasing a chapter. Back when I still binged I found a few stories that ran for 30+ chapters without ever having a comment from a reader. Even the most well written stories will have people saying "thank you for the chap" or something like that, not because it sucks, but they just really wanna be grateful. I won't say that it's everyone's intention, but that's what I feel about it.

Jemini

Write about your speculations or the things you did like in the chapter. You can write a comment with mild criticism, it's valuable and meaningful, or you can point out a typo, which is a great help for an author. Some authors like it when you ask them questions about the story.

Completely second this.

Also, funny comments or observations. I still like to tell the story about how this one commenter decided my MC was a closet squirrel due to the fact that the scenario in the chapter had her sneaking around in order to steal a magical tree nut. I was not even thinking about the parallel to squirrel behavior there, and it made complete sense to play that scene straight in context. I did not even realize the hilarious comedic elements that were under the surface there, and calling her a "closet squirrel" was just the perfect comment to drag all the comedy hidden in the scene to the surface.

SailusGebel

Please don't think like that. Some people say thank you because they genuinely just want to thank the author for releasing a chapter. Back when I still binged I found a few stories that ran for 30+ chapters without ever having a comment from a reader. Even the most well written stories will have people saying "thank you for the chap" or something like that, not because it sucks, but they just really wanna be grateful. I won't say that it's everyone's intention, but that's what I feel about it.
I never said that they are doing this for some bad reasons, though? It doesn't matter if they feel obliged, or if it's because of their good feelings or because they genuinely want to thank me. If my story ain't enough for people to start discussing the story, it means I did a bad job. That's my point. If they want to thank me instead of discussing the story it's bad. Also, you can comment on the chapter AND write a thank you in a single sentence. So being grateful doesn't stop you from discussing the story.

I know the quality of my story. I usually have a feeling whether the things I wrote are bad or good. And when I write a plot twist or spend a long time doing a 4k+ word r-18 or fighting chapter and everything I hear in return is thank you, well, that just means I did a bad job. Instead of evoking discussion with my trump card, I hear: "Thanks!" I already got proud once, feeling my writing is good cause no one was saying otherwise. I won't repeat this mistake.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
I never said that they are doing this for some bad reasons, though? It doesn't matter if they feel obliged, or if it's because of their good feelings or because they genuinely want to thank me. If my story ain't enough for people to start discussing the story, it means I did a bad job. That's my point. If they want to thank me instead of discussing the story it's bad. Also, you can comment on the chapter AND write a thank you in a single sentence. So being grateful doesn't stop you from discussing the story.

I know the quality of my story. I usually have a feeling whether the things I wrote are bad or good. And when I write a plot twist or spend a long time doing a 4k+ word r-18 or fighting chapter and everything I hear in return is thank you, well, that just means I did a bad job. Instead of evoking discussion with my trump card, I hear: "Thanks!" I already got proud once, feeling my writing is good cause no one was saying otherwise. I won't repeat this mistake.
I suppose I misread your intentions. Thing is, readers don't usually go read a story to discuss things, especially if it's a litRPG, usually they keep it to themselves. They need something to 'spark' discussion like a poll or a question. It's best to put an author's note every now and then(not every chapter) asking your audience if they like how the story is going(if you are doing this already, forget I told you). Anyways, I suppose everyone has their different opinions on the "thanks" comments. If that is all I get I would think that its my failure to interact with the audience, not with my writing.

Last edited:

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
1630506096660.png