Implemented Alert Preference: new Chapter

Itisn1tmyname

I was looking at the alert preferences and noticed that while there is an option to get an alert if an author I follow publishes a new story (probs for that, btw!), but no such option for when a story already in my reading list gets updated. I do not know if such a feature already exists, and if so, where to find it; but I do suggest to add the option to Settings->Alert Preferences.

My current way to keep on top of those sweet new chapters is to have a reading list tab open and refresh it every once in a while. While I will continue doing so (mainly because I have a whole monitor dedicated to my various reading lists, sooo...), it would be nice if the alert bell was able to remind me of new chapters as well ^-^

Edit: After playing around with the reading list and promptly adding a personal list for stories I am not currently reading but will come back to later (i.e because most stories right now are far too short), I furthermore suggest that if alerts for new chapters are implemented, individual lists should be "mute-able".

Last edited:

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
There is rss feed for that I think

Itisn1tmyname

There is rss feed for that I think
Ah, but this is a little different. The RSS feed is just that - a feed. What I am suggesting is that the bell in the top header, the one labeled "Alerts", that pings with a red number if someone replies to your comments or your thread when you are locked in and doing stuff like reading or commenting, would also ping with a red number when a new chapter of a story you follow comes out. It's got all I would want from a feed - i.e, the information that there is something new - without the hassle. Plus it's an alert; it alerts you. Duh ^-^

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Ah, but this is a little different. The RSS feed is just that - a feed. What I am suggesting is that the bell in the top header, the one labeled "Alerts", that pings with a red number if someone replies to your comments or your thread when you are locked in and doing stuff like reading or commenting, would also ping with a red number when a new chapter of a story you follow comes out. It's got all I would want from a feed - i.e, the information that there is something new - without the hassle. Plus it's an alert; it alerts you. Duh ^-^
Given how Scribblehub and Scribblehub's forum are very disconnected sites I don't think that's particularly possible. I do think that it would be very useful to have alerts like that on Scribblehub itself (which has it's own separate alerts system).

Itisn1tmyname

Given how Scribblehub and Scribblehub's forum are very disconnected sites I don't think that's particularly possible. I do think that it would be very useful to have alerts like that on Scribblehub itself (which has it's own separate alerts system).
...Yes, to clarify; I *was* talking about the alert system of Scribblehub itself, not of the forum.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
...Yes, to clarify; I *was* talking about the alert system of Scribblehub itself, not of the forum.
There aren't really threads on Scribblehub, so that part of the post threw me off, but I've been thinking that it'd be really helpful to get alerts for chapter posts.

Itisn1tmyname

There aren't really threads on Scribblehub, so that part of the post threw me off, but I've been thinking that it'd be really helpful to get alerts for chapter posts.
Ah, terminology. Threads as in comment chains.

Well, I have to admit, I have not tested commenting and being replied to on Scribblehub yet. Though seeing the Alert options, being replied to and getting alerted to that reply seem possible, so comment chains should be a thing.

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
Ah, terminology. Threads as in comment chains.

Well, I have to admit, I have not tested commenting and being replied to on Scribblehub yet. Though seeing the Alert options, being replied to and getting alerted to that reply seem possible, so comment chains should be a thing.
They are. I was one of the ones who tested the alert system on SH and it works quite well.

Lir

Still waiting for it. Please do, it's difficult to keep track of the latest chaper for each story, so am always unsure if they've been updated or not.

Taovkool

Bumping this thread because alerts are vital thing for net fictions.

An email alert everytime a story I follow get a new chapter would be nice. You know, like the ones in FF and AO3. Not really familiar with coding though, so I'm kinda wondering if it's feasible or not.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
If this suggestion is still under consideration, I would like to express my support for it too. Getting a conspicuous red alert is a lot more convenient than having to keep a reading list tab open and refreshing now and then.

I also think that alerts will foster more activity in the comment section since there is a higher chance that readers will stop reading at around the same time and comment/reply to existing comments with a good chance of immediate reply from other readers or even the author.

crimson_carnation

Yes, such a thing really would be helpful. Especially if it comes with the function to mute alerts for certain reading lists. Additionally, if there is any concern about mixing the chapter update notifications with the message and comment notifications, then maybe there could be a small book icon added beside the bell that would show notifications for new chapters only? But then again, it isn't strictly necessary either.

Drizaro

I am also in favor of an email alert when a story in my reading list gets updated.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
I'm still refreshing my reading list when I wake up every morning to check out what new chapter is out for me.

UndyingEmbers

I'd like to also request this feature. It'd be nice to know when I have chapters to read.