What if ‘The Walking Dead’ has magic?

BlackKnightX

Let’s say; Rick Grimes woke up in a hospital bed, got out of the hospital, and noticed that the world was ruined.

Then, he noticed a zombie walking toward him. Not knowing it was a zombie, he called out, when suddenly, the zombie’s head was engulfed in flame! Rick turned to look in the direction the flame came from. It was Morgan.

So after that, he learned that after the world was ruined, people started awakening magical abilities. He too awakened to one after sometime.

And so, with his newfound abilities, his journey of looking for his family began!

———

How do you think the show will turn out with such an absurd element mixed in?

Reyezwriting

Why making it fan fiction? Do your own story and characters mixing these two elements. Zombies and magic.

D

Deleted member 51605

Let’s say; Rick Grimes woke up in a hospital bed, got out of the hospital, and noticed that the world was ruined.

Then, he noticed a zombie walking toward him. Not knowing it was a zombie, he called out, when suddenly, the zombie’s head was engulfed in flame! Rick turned to look in the direction the flame came from. It was Morgan.

So after that, he learned that after the world was ruined, people started awakening magical abilities. He too awakened to one after sometime.

And so, with his newfound abilities, his journey of looking for his family began!

———

You know strangely enough the pitch for TWD was just as ridiculous, because Kirkman dead ass went in there and said "Zombies from x movie" and the guy was like "nah mate we want to own the story." So then he was like "Ok then just zombies." and the reply "Nah we need something original."

"Alright, I got it, alien invasion with first phase being a zombie virus."

Goes without saying that never happened because Kirkman lied so he could get it to publication and just went on to create TWD as we know it.

BlackKnightX

Why making it fan fiction? Do your own story and characters mixing these two elements. Zombies and magic.
Nah, I don’t plan to make such a story. I’m just curious to know all your thoughts about this, since I really like the show.
What else should I say? Should I say that a bunch of modern-day zombie apocalypse novels with magic or superpowers or some other bullshit already exist?
That why I said I do agree with you on this one. 😂

I created this thread cuz I wanna know how specifically the show will turn out. Will the fight with The Saviors be even more intense?

Sure enough, zombies won’t be too much of a threat anymore. But what about the other human? It will be quite fun, IMO.
You know strangely enough the pitch for TWD was just as ridiculous, because Kirkman dead ass went in there and said "Zombies from x movie" and the guy was like "nah mate we want to own the story." So then he was like "Ok then just zombies." and the reply "Nah we need something original."

"Alright, I got it, alien invasion with first phase being a zombie virus."

Goes without saying that never happened because Kirkman lied so he could get it to publication and just went on to create TWD as we know it.
Still fun to watch, though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 51605

To actually address the question there's a lot of routes they could take, they could do what the doom film did and use the same lore that technically everyone's already infected so it's just a matter of someone unlocking their mystical powers(or sci fi super power), or they could do what resident evil did which is the character could become infected and enhance themselves possibly even unlocking some lite esper powers. Though if they want to abandon the grounded feel they could also add other fantastical elements to the outbreak, such as hives that operate on some form of mana, and they could also just make it like the infamous series where characters are given vague control over some element.

The show would still definitely reach a niche because the character drama would be undercut by the viewer anticipation for what power a villain might have. Imagine the governor with telekinesis, or neegan with acid spray. It kinda makes it weird but definitely increases cool factor.

I at one point had an idea for a story on this kind of premise but I didn't plan it as magic but more like a scifi with rogue genetic manipulation, the likes of which would be similar to bioshock where the zombies would be those who lost their sanity (like the splicers) while the protagonists are those who have their abilities under control and even have some pretty powerful tech on their side to mitigate the self harm that's caused.

BlackKnightX

To actually address the question there's a lot of routes they could take, they could do what the doom film did and use the same lore that technically everyone's already infected so it's just a matter of someone unlocking their mystical powers(or sci fi super power), or they could do what resident evil did which is the character could become infected and enhance themselves possibly even unlocking some lite esper powers. Though if they want to abandon the grounded feel they could also add other fantastical elements to the outbreak, such as hives that operate on some form of mana, and they could also just make it like the infamous series where characters are given vague control over some element.

The show would still definitely reach a niche because the character drama would be undercut by the viewer anticipation for what power a villain might have. Imagine the governor with telekinesis, or neegan with acid spray. It kinda makes it weird but definitely increases cool factor.

I at one point had an idea for a story on this kind of premise but I didn't plan it as magic but more like a scifi with rogue genetic manipulation, the likes of which would be similar to bioshock where the zombies would be those who lost their sanity (like the splicers) while the protagonists are those who have their abilities under control and even have some pretty powerful tech on their side to mitigate the self harm that's caused.
That sounds very interesting. Why didn’t you realize that project?

D

Deleted member 51605

That sounds very interesting. Why didn’t you realize that project?
I had the idea between 7-9 years ago, a time when I practically had zero internet access and was hardly interested in writing, I was more entertained by these ideas as a distraction from boring classes. And there's also some elements that were added into it while it was still fresh in my mind but I'd probably have to readjust it to be able to write it.

just add superpowers to the zombies to match it up.

i have yet to see zombies that can make the survivors vomit blood by insulting them. though probably won't work unless the survivors knew chinese.

let's probably add shameless necromancers who would force people to do mexican sugar dancing.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I never got the idea behind "zombie apocalypse" zombies. Those things are dumb, slow and can't cooperate. Those are the slimes and goblins of apocalypses.

Unless there's spontaneous zombification of nearly 90% of humanity, it would take no more than a few weeks and maybe a few weapons to remove that thread.

And you want to add magic to something that would be no thread for most (functioning) modern governments?

BlackKnightX

I never got the idea behind "zombie apocalypse" zombies. Those things are dumb, slow and can't cooperate. Those are the slimes and goblins of apocalypses.

Unless there's spontaneous zombification of nearly 90% of humanity, it would take no more than a few weeks and maybe a few weapons to remove that thread.

And you want to add magic to something that would be no thread for most (functioning) modern governments?
I posted this thread purely to talk about ‘The Walking Dead’ since I like the show. It should be an easy threat in the other story, but in The Walking Dead it isn’t. If you’ve watched the show, you’ll know what I’m talking about.

What I wanna know is how do you think the show will turn out with the element of magic adding in. Sure, the zombie won’t be a threat anymore, but what about the people? The governor, Negan, these guys will be far stronger as well, and the fight will be more epic.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

———

If people can have magic, then the zombies will have magic too, since they were former human. What this means is:
1. Shooting the head will no longer kill them, because they are no longer governed by logical biological functions
2. You can have zombies who also shoot magic at you.
3. Zombies can get resistance to magic.
4. The show would be significantly more boring, as screenwriters would handwaive everything using magic. At least without magic, they have to at least abide by physics.
5. You get flying zombies that fly using magic.
6. You can get magically reinforced barricades being broken down by magically reinforced zombies. Basically fighting nukes with nukes.

That is not to say that it can't work. The House of the Dead franchise is basically magic zombies fought with guns, which is way more interesting because as the underdog, you, the player is constantly on edge. If only humans have magic yet the zombies don't, you got slice of life Japanese isekai stories.

Mary Sue characters are not interesting. You can write it, but don't expect people to like it. Struggles and strife makes a good story, always has. If you take out all the struggles and strife from the epic of Troy, all you got is:
1. Handsome playboy steals another dude's wife (It wasn't that simple. This was started by Eris, trying to cause strife among the gods)
2. Angry dude whose wife was stolen rallies the whole of Greece to get his wife back. (It wasn't that easy, Odysseus resisted joining for a long time because he claimed he never signed the treaty. Ended up being someone punished by the gods for joining the war)
3. Greece dudes curbstomps Troy's dudes and takes the wife back (It wasn't that simple. They were told the war would take so long that those who joined would be old and grey by the time the war ends)
4. Greece dudes returns home happy and Troy's dudes learn their punishment. (They actually didn't. Agamemnon was killed, Ajax drowned, Diomedes was attacked by Athenians and found his wife committing adultery, Odysseus took 10 years to return, on top of the 9 years of the siege, and Menelaus and Helen landed in Egypt instead of Sparta)
5. The end. (It wasn't the end, their punishment was just beginning)

BlackKnightX

If people can have magic, then the zombies will have magic too, since they were former human. What this means is:
1. Shooting the head will no longer kill them, because they are no longer governed by logical biological functions
2. You can have zombies who also shoot magic at you.
3. Zombies can get resistance to magic.
4. The show would be significantly more boring, as screenwriters would handwaive everything using magic. At least without magic, they have to at least abide by physics.
5. You get flying zombies that fly using magic.
6. You can get magically reinforced barricades being broken down by magically reinforced zombies. Basically fighting nukes with nukes.

That is not to say that it can't work. The House of the Dead franchise is basically magic zombies fought with guns, which is way more interesting because as the underdog, you, the player is constantly on edge. If only humans have magic yet the zombies don't, you got slice of life Japanese isekai stories.

Mary Sue characters are not interesting. You can write it, but don't expect people to like it. Struggles and strife makes a good story, always has. If you take out all the struggles and strife from the epic of Troy, all you got is:
1. Handsome playboy steals another dude's wife (It wasn't that simple. This was started by Eris, trying to cause strife among the gods)
2. Angry dude whose wife was stolen rallies the whole of Greece to get his wife back. (It wasn't that easy, Odysseus resisted joining for a long time because he claimed he never signed the treaty. Ended up being someone punished by the gods for joining the war)
3. Greece dudes curbstomps Troy's dudes and takes the wife back (It wasn't that simple. They were told the war would take so long that those who joined would be old and grey by the time the war ends)
4. Greece dudes returns home happy and Troy's dudes learn their punishment. (They actually didn't. Agamemnon was killed, Ajax drowned, Diomedes was attacked by Athenians and found his wife committing adultery, Odysseus took 10 years to return, on top of the 9 years of the siege, and Menelaus and Helen landed in Egypt instead of Sparta)
5. The end. (It wasn't the end, their punishment was just beginning)
Thanks for the long comment! Though, I do have to disagree with you on the Mary Su thing. Honestly, I love Mary Su. I love reading it and never think of it as bad at all.

But first, let’s define what a Mary Su really is. For me, it’s the character that’s perfect at everything and well loved by everyone, though that doesn’t necessarily make them defeat the bad guy with just a snap of their fingers.

They still have limitations of their powers that will make things more interesting. But whatever is fine as long as they’re OP and better than the other characters.

I mean, they are the protagonist, the center of the story, so they should have something more special than the others to make them worth following.

I can read the story with an underdog protagonist, but honestly, it’s a big turn-off whenever they make a bad (stupid) decision and get defeated by the bad guy. I really hate that.

I love it more when the character is in control of everything. When they take action to get what they want instead of reacting to things.

So, I have no problem with Mary Su at all, as long as they don’t make some stupid decisions and do something I don’t like.