Is there really a point in making a male character 'gender-bent' into a girl?

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
My one question to authors who write gender-bender male-to-female and then add in 'Girl's Love'... why? Just make the character a girl-loving girl from the beginning. I just cannot understand it, and in my opinion, it sometimes messes up the way that the stories are shown by tag. Like, I might put away GL or BL and suddenly I get hit with 'gender-bender' with no GL or BL tag. Then, I have to go and filter out 'gender-bender' as well... or, I filter out gender-bender and get hit with GL or BL. It would just be much easier to filter out just two tags rather than one... I know I'm complaining about a few extra clicks... but hey, I have a lazy personality.

No offense to any gender-bender writers, tho.

Edit: Apparently, just 2 posts below this one, there is another thread talking about gender bender... oops. But it doesn't talk about the GL and BL tags to Male/Female ---> Female/Male.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Because its popular, that's basically the main reason why. Not saying authors can't come up with another reason, but that's mostly what i see from the things I read, its pretty much what power fantasy is to isekai. People fantasize about turning into a cute girl and doing yuri stuff, that's basically it.

Edit: This is the same the other way around, I know some female->male stories over in wattpad where the MC is a self-insert for yaoi plots to occur and stuff.

Last edited:

DerbyGhost

Trans people exist, are queer, and want positive excapism. Reading and writing gender bender stories made me realize I was trans, and now I write them to give trans people something cute and fun. Because God knows we don't really get that in most mainstream media.

So... Yes. There is a point.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Me: Writes an Asexual Male who genderbends into female yet still Asexual

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
There's a couple clashing reasons for this. The first is that SH has a large transgirl audience. Isekai is the quickest and easiest way to write a positive transition without having to deal with dumb real life issues like transphobia, expensive and painful medical stuff, etc.

There's also some people who have a fetish or something, and who think turning into a girl and dating a guy would be gay. Unpleasant, but it's difficult to appeal to one crowd without drawing in the other as well.

Your best solution is to just not read the stories you don't like. The Filter exists for a reason, and it's quite easy to use once you have some practice.

Last edited:

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty

:blob_uwu:
I GB a male to a female, yet they are straight still. And they don't even know they were a male in their other life! Another one is a book, who got a body GB! From sexless to having a sex.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are plenty of other stories out there! There are other types of GB that could be fun! Just read what you like :3 ignore the others even if it takes a few clicks to run away from them. Such as reincarnation... Though people here see it as transgender, when in reality it is a rebirth.

They were born in the sex they wanted all their lives? I mean, we don't pick our sex at birth. It is given to us. What we choose to do with it after birth, then we can change it. Gender is fluent, depending on the brain the person was born with. So I don't understand the people calling it a fetishization, but heck, they can do that too, I guess?

There is also the question of if that person feels right in that new body? Wouldn't they want their snake back? I mean... I kind of would feel stuck in that situation. But there is rarely any realism in there. So this is just me.

Aaqil

Cookies!
:blob_uwu:
I GB a male to a female, yet they are straight still. And they don't even know they were a male in their other life! Another one is a book, who got a body GB! From sexless to having a sex.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are plenty of other stories out there! There are other types of GB that could be fun! Just read what you like :3 ignore the others even if it takes a few clicks to run away from them. Such as reincarnation... Though people here see it as transgender, when in reality it is a rebirth.

They were born in the sex they wanted all their lives? I mean, we don't pick our sex at birth. It is given to us. What we choose to do with it after birth, then we can change it. Gender is fluent, depending on the brain the person was born with. So I don't understand the people calling it a fetishization, but heck, they can do that too, I guess?

There is also the question of if that person feels right in that new body? Wouldn't they want their snake back? I mean... I kind of would feel stuck in that situation. But there is rarely any realism in there. So this is just me.
ello cat, have some popcorn :blob_popcorn:

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
o I don't understand the people calling it a fetishization
There are people who can read gender bender, fap, and then talk about how disgusting they think LGBT people are. It's the same kind of person who can look at a perfectly healthy lesbian relationship and say, "You know, this relationship is missing something. And that something is my dick."

That's the fetish, not the gender bending itself. They only look at it as a tool for their sexual pleasure, and ignore any other meaning or value.

transgenderism
Apparently this is a word, though I've never seen anyone on this site use it, lol.

Malonymous

When it comes to wish fulfillment, there's a world of difference there. The whole MtF transformation (and how it affects the MC) is a part of the experience that GB + yuri readers are specifically looking for :blob_wink:

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
My one question to authors who write gender-bender male-to-female and then add in 'Girl's Love'... why? Just make the character a girl-loving girl from the beginning. I just cannot understand it, and in my opinion, it sometimes messes up the way that the stories are shown by tag. Like, I might put away GL or BL and suddenly I get hit with 'gender-bender' with no GL or BL tag. Then, I have to go and filter out 'gender-bender' as well... or, I filter out gender-bender and get hit with GL or BL. It would just be much easier to filter out just two tags rather than one... I know I'm complaining about a few extra clicks... but hey, I have a lazy personality.

Edit: Apparently, just 2 posts below this one, there is another thread talking about gender bender... oops. But it doesn't talk about the GL and BL tags to Male/Female ---> Female/Male.
Just make the protagonis a trans woman who can’t transition. Though, I don’t believe it would be gender bending at that point………..right?

Also, where are the gay/bi guys? I believe that that would make a more interesting, a gay man one day turns into a girl. His crush falls in love with him in this body. Does he tell his crush his past? If so does he choose to become male once more when the chance arise???

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Trans people exist, are queer, and want positive excapism. Reading and writing gender bender stories made me realize I was trans, and now I write them to give trans people something cute and fun. Because God knows we don't really get that in most mainstream media.

So... Yes. There is a point.
THIS^
My best friend is trans, and she was my boyfriend back in high school. Exploring her gender identity took a lot of courage as well as vulnerability. Reading is a safe way to do that, especially if you are a minor afraid of getting disowned or worse. The more representation out there, the better!

Also, this is why I write about polyamory.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor

Yeah.1, there's trans people
2. there's the whole chock thing
and 3. If you consider it normal like I did with Necro, there's the whole stigma and behavior changes related to it

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's a form of escapism for trans people. No need for self-mutilation or barbaric practices such as "licensed gender reassignment surgery" which more often than not, are basterdized versions of what the envisioned crotch should be; just wake up one day and viola, you have working ovaries and as an extra, giant fucking bonkers. We have yet to progress beyond the stigma against gender dysphoria and good enough medicine, so for now, this is the closest we get to that utopia.

There's also guys who think it's hot as shit to fuck girls while being a girl. It's a Venn diagram between GB and just straight up Futa. It's basically a win-win situation. Plus, there's a difference between being just a girl and becoming a girl as a guy. The former is boring ol' regular Yuri while the latter is like a peasant being presented the doors of Shangri-la. Paradise tastes better when you've been through the mud first.

Just think of it as harem for guys. On the flip side, most people don't understand or even abhor the idea of us boys liking our asses hunted down (romantically) by 6 different flavours of women™. It absolutely won't happen in real life, and if it does, you probably know a lot of gold diggers. Different folks; different strokes, you see. We can't experience our ideal world in our universe, so we opt for better contexts and circumstances in webnovels.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
It's a form of escapism for trans people. No need for self-mutilation or barbaric practices such as "licensed gender reassignment surgery" which more often than not, are basterdized versions of what the envisioned crotch should be; just wake up one day and viola, you have working ovaries and as an extra, giant fucking bonkers. We have yet to progress beyond the stigma against gender dysphoria and good enough medicine, so for now, this is the closest we get to that utopia.
well, this is something I don't understand

When I read this shit when mc gets a perfect body and then enjoys a perfect life in new body and new gender with a harem of girls and guys madly in love with him or her...

the only thing I think there is "good for you, motherfucker". It's like taking a depressed person, showing them an image of some happy family enjoying themselves, and saying "feeling happy yet?".

or taking a person without legs, writing them a fiction about growing back legs as "wish fulfillment". But when he stops reading and looks down, his legs are still gone. So what was all this wish-fulfillment for, if the reality is as bleak, or perhaps even bleaker than it was before?

Thinking about things that can't be, is like scratching one's wounds.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Can we just talk about the fact that even without concrete tags, the core complaint is "Please don't write novels with genres I don't like, I don't want to be forced to exclude more."

or taking a person without legs, writing them a fiction about growing back legs as "wish fulfillment". But when he stops reading and looks down, his legs are still gone. So what was all this wish-fulfillment for, if the reality is as bleak, or perhaps even bleaker than it was before?
> tomboy

the same reason why people like playing girl characters as a guy, i guess.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
well, this is something I don't understand

When I read this shit when mc gets a perfect body and then enjoys a perfect life in new body and new gender with a harem of girls and guys madly in love with him or her...

the only thing I think there is "good for you, motherfucker". It's like taking a depressed person, showing them an image of some happy family enjoying themselves, and saying "feeling happy yet?".

Thinking about things that can't be, is like scratching one's wounds.
Well shit, what's the alternative? Get better parents? Grow legs? I can get adopted or get some prosthetics sure but in the meantime, can't a homie get down with some fantasies? It's an itch that'll never get healed but at least scratching it is better than letting it fester.

Okay, bad analogy but you get the point
the same reason why people like playing girl characters as a guy, i guess.
True, but for different reasons. If I play a game, I'd rather stare at a woman's ass than some guy's buttcheeks.

Save for Chris from RE5 he's double cheeked up on a Thursday afternoon.
Can we just talk about the fact that even without concrete tags, the core complaint is "Please don't write novels with genres I don't like, I don't want to be forced to exclude more."
It's like a cycle at this point. You'll get people talking about Gender Bender, Harem, Loli, just about once every one or two months.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
"Why do people write about X ?"
Because they want to?

Gender bender is imo an easy way for people to write inbetween the two "hard" genders of female/male and still reach part of the main crowd of straight readers due to Yuri/BL fetishism and bending is a fetish itself, too