How much money before you turn full-time?

Simo

A lazy sloth
I'm quite curious, there are a lot of fellow authors out there who use Patreon as means to get income, some are doing great others are still not so good. Now my question is, how much money do you think is enough for you to turn writing into a full-time job instead of just for fun?

I know its different for each person, cause of responsibilities and such hence why I'm curious. 500$ per month? 1k$ per month? 2k?

LostLibrarian

Given my age and responsibilities, the income would have to more or less equal what I would do in a lower level dayjob + a percentage above so that I could save up for times where I would have to change back from writing or have a low income month. In the end, 1.5k would probably be the minimum I would need to get, so adding tax cut and patreon costs and all the stuff, we would probably land somewhere between 2.5k and 3k $.
And that would be the time I would start to think about things depending on how much fun I would have at that time... :blob_teary:

So yeah, going full-time with Patreon alone will never happen. It's nice to have to add some illustrations/covers or save for a holiday or whatever.
But living in one of the most costly first world countries, going full-time outside of traditional publishing seems like a stretch.
Especially given my overall low activity and small popularity :ROFLMAO:

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Of course,
one million dollars.png

GodlessEmperor

Emperor of trash writing
Given my age and responsibilities, the income would have to more or less equal what I would do in a lower level dayjob + a percentage above so that I could save up for times where I would have to change back from writing or have a low income month. In the end, 1.5k would probably be the minimum I would need to get, so adding tax cut and patreon costs and all the stuff, we would probably land somewhere between 2.5k and 3k $.
And that would be the time I would start to think about things depending on how much fun I would have at that time... :blob_teary:

So yeah, going full-time with Patreon alone will never happen. It's nice to have to add some illustrations/covers or save for a holiday or whatever.
But living in one of the most costly first world countries, going full-time outside of traditional publishing seems like a stretch.
Especially given my overall low activity and small popularity :ROFLMAO:
I feel you on that one.
Unlike you, I still have the possibility of moving into a cheaper country. That way, I would have a chance of living off Patreon, etc.
Well since I just started and have basically no audience it's not gonna happen anyway :blob_frown:

Cossimeri

Purveyor of Yuri Adventures
I'm not the primary breadwinner for my household or anything, so I think $1,000/month would be just enough for full time. Though I would probably keep a part time job even at that amount just to be safe. Better to build savings you don't need than to end up with a bill you can't pay.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
It depends a lot on consistency. If you can maintain a level of consistent work that makes roughly enough to match the cost of living in your area, plus a little more to be comfortable, you are golden.

Jemini

I work a pretty chill night shift, so I would likely keep working until I'm earning around 5X what I do at my job.

(Maybe less. Going full-time would allow me to re-arrange my writing work habits in order to dramatically up my chapters per week, thus potentially increasing my earnings faster.)

Kenjona

Not a real author, but 10k a month to go full time, that is of course before taxes. I have a good job, it helps pay for medical/dental insurance, and a retirement plan, amongst other things. I am not a single 20 something who can drop everything and go live in a tent with a laptop that I can recharge at McDonalds and use their wireless. Though somedays I wish I was. Maybe when I retire I can do the Van life thing for a summer or two, I have always wanted to do.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
1k a month and I'll move to Malaysia or some other country that's super cheap to live in. Then I can live like a king and be a based author full time.

Simo

A lazy sloth
1k a month and I'll move to Malaysia or some other country that's super cheap to live in. Then I can live like a king and be a based author full time.
I don't think Malaysia is that cheap, maybe Cambodia, Vietnam, or Indonesia?