Implemented For the sake of human civilisation, give the schedule publishing a "military" clock.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Pls, give us the option to organise scheduled chapters according to a 24-hour clock, and not AM and PM. It might be good for Americans, but for the rest of the world it is a pain in the arse, and a highly fustrating experience. It is not the first time my release misfired because of AM/PM complications.

1643112170613.png

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
XD Do you even read yourself? Of course not, you are wonderful comedy, as usual. It obviously unnecessary to talk with you, so the question is only why I am so stupid to believe in you? Who knows. Maybe it is human nature. Maybe it is me being optimistic. I can't tell.
Then can you clarify to me what is hard to you about switching between 22h and 10pm?

Because I really don't get your whole problem here. You make a pointless feature request, then complain when people tell you the obvious? I'm the one confused here.
Have you never heard about time zones? What if I am on the other side of the date line? You must subtract, and not add. And careful, the system doesn't know 00:00.

This is absurd, it is a system proven obsolete and detrimental, just give me my 24 hour clock.
No if you work with UTC!!!

And that is the point, your comparison is wrong, this is not a matter of metric, you are more analogous to imperial than metric! You have a system where 12:59 is before 1:00! How absurd is that!
And uhn... Well, since you made those posts, I guess I'll ask this just to be sure.

You did change your timezone on your settings, right? So as to let you schedule your chapters based on your current timezone instead of scheduling it based on UTC... Because if you are scheduling with UTC settings without living in the UTC timezone, then you need to do two conversions (one to know what time it is on UTC, and another to get it to the AM/PM system) to know when you want to schedule your chapter, which I guess can be kinda annoying.

Assurbanipal_II

Then can you clarify to me what is hard to you about switching between 22h and 10pm?

Because I really don't get your whole problem here. You make a pointless feature request, then complain when people tell you the obvious? I'm the one confused here.

And uhn... Well, since you made those posts, I guess I'll ask this just to be sure.

You did change your timezone on your settings, right? So as to let you schedule your chapters based on your current timezone instead of scheduling it based on UTC... Because if you are scheduling with UTC settings without living in the UTC timezone, then you need to do two conversions (one to know what time it is on UTC, and another to get it to the AM/PM system) to know when you want to schedule your chapter, which I guess can be kinda annoying.
Look, Shiki, I leave you the honour of the last word.

AliceShiki

I can't memorize this, so I always have to google time conversion. But it's, as you said, a minor inconvenience.
Fair point tbh, I'm really used to switching between them two, so it's hard for me to understand it, but... Well, I guess if you basically never use one system and only need it for the sake of Scribblehub, I guess it can feel not worth your while to get used to it.

Kinda like how I'll probably never remember the meter to mile conversion, but can remember the °C to °F conversion because I had to use the latter back in high school, but never needed the former.

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
If you really want to be flexible with time, you can always write a world where the number of hours in a day is actually different! (I didn't do this, but both my host and I have made stories where the definition of a minute was something other than 60 seconds. It's fun.)

If you know programming to a relatively advanced level, maybe you can write a browser plugin that swaps "X PM" with the correct GMT (Because I'm a brat and picking something other than UTC just because I can ;3)

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Well, I prefer 24h system and I once messed up the scheduling because I didn't click pm correctly. I was pretty sure I did, but alas, phone screen and fins fingers are no good match to publish chapters not to mention scheduling. :blob_neutral:

Pretty sure even people who are used to 12h system also mess up scheduling. One more dropbox you have to set means one more point of possible error. :blob_hmm:

AliceShiki

Not what they meant, since this doesn't work for publishing works on the actual site, but thanks for pointing it out. I didn't even realize that was a setting, so it's nice now that I can see when people actually post on my time zone.
Those settings exist in the main site too, and they do allow you to change when you're scheduling it accordingly, since I did make my schedules based on UTC -3 back when I was writing my first novel.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I actually do think the clock needs some work. Especially the scheduling clock. It would be super convenient to be able to tell when you're posting in relation to the daily reset, in addition to any times you care about.

It's not really important, though.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating

Assurbanipal_II never said it was difficult. She said it was error prone, which is true, and as she has pointed out, is the reason the military uses it. Otherwise, changing clocks would just inverse the conversion, all of the americans would have to switch between 10pm and 22pm.

It is easy to mistake 10 PM as 10 AM, but it is hard to mistake 10:00 with 22:00. This is not an issue in everyday life, but with scheduled posting, where getting the time right is the whole point, you really should choose the most reliable method. As an added bonus, it only uses one dropdown box instead of two.

Is this a pressing issue ? no. Is this worth Tony's time? Yes, eventually.

It is one of the many small things that contributes to the user experience. I notice it each time I post, and while I may never voice out a complaint, it will imperceptibly lower my satisfaction. On it's own it is nothing, but it is one of the many factors that make me prefer posting on other sites rather than scribblehub.

User experience is built upon dozens of such small things, that all contribute to the user satisfaction. You are welcome to prefer any clock type you want, but in this particular instance, the military clock has unique features that make it more suitable as a scheduling clock. Therefore, logic dictates it is the one that should be used.

Last edited:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Assurbanipal_II never said it was difficult. She said it was error prone, which is true, and as she has pointed out, is the reason the military uses it.
It is easy to mistake 10 PM as 10 AM, but it is hard to mistake 10:00 with 22:00. This is not an issue in everyday life, but with scheduled posting, where getting the time right is the whole point, you really should choose the most reliable method. As an added bonus, it only uses one dropdown box istead of two.
Is this a pressing issue ? no. Is this worth tony's time? yes
Exactly, it's prone to errors. No matter how easy it is to convert 10pm to 22h, it would make scheduling 1. easier to use at first glance 2. there is no misunderstanding or mishap in scheduling.

While we are at it, would it be hard to display the current set timezone beside the scheduled time? Like 1 January 2022 10:00 (UTC+?)

Scheduling should work intuitively, but I get the feeling that I'm not the only person who has problems with it. I already scheduled a lot, but I still have this looming fear of messing up due to the first few fails when I started out.

Assurbanipal_II

Assurbanipal_II never said it was difficult. She said it was error prone, which is true, and as she has pointed out, is the reason the military uses it. Otherwise, changing clocks would just inverse the conversion, all of the americans would have to switch between 10pm and 22pm.

It is easy to mistake 10 PM as 10 AM, but it is hard to mistake 10:00 with 22:00. This is not an issue in everyday life, but with scheduled posting, where getting the time right is the whole point, you really should choose the most reliable method. As an added bonus, it only uses one dropdown box instead of two.

It is one of the many small things that contributes to the user experience. I notice it each time I post, and while I may never voice out a complaint, it will imperceptibly lower my satisfaction. On it's own it is nothing, but it is one of the many factors that make me prefer posting on other sites rather than scribblehub.

User experience is built upon dozens of such small things, that all contribute to the user satisfaction. You are welcome to prefer any clock type you want, but in this particular instance, the military clock has unique features that make it more suitable as a scheduling clock. Therefore, logic dictates it is the one that should be used.
It is a sign for me that the site was only conceived for American users in mind. That wouldn't be an issue if the site wasn't international.

I come from a country where is 24 hour is the iron standard and never in my life I have used the AM PM system, so of course confusion arises.

The fact that the site only offers me 12 hours, and not 24 hours as an option, clearly shows me that either not a single second was spent on users abroad, or a deliberate decision was made to accommodate the American user base with what they are familiar.

Both acts are a acts of open disregard for other users, which leaves a bad aftertaste. The clock is basically telling me every time, just shut up an adapt to our system! We don't care about you!

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
It is a sign for me that the site was only conceived for American users in mind. That wouldn't be an issue if the site wasn't international.
[...]
Both acts are a acts of open disregard for other users, which leaves a bad aftertaste. The clock is basically telling me every time, just shut up an adapt to our system! We don't care about you!
I don't think you should assign malicious intentions to this so easily.
As far as I understand it, this site is the work of a single man, "All hail Tony", who is probably american. He most likely uses the AM_PM clock himself, so when he made the scheduling feature, it would have never occurred to him that he was making a mistake.
However, I must reiterate that the mistake that I see is that he was using a system that is prone to confusion, which is objectively worse in this scenario. It is not that he somehow disregarded me by not giving me the system I am accustomed to.
Would the website gain from being "international"? That depends on their strategy, but if they want to appeal to everyone, then yes, that would probably be better. So there is an argument to be made about using international standards everywhere, whether or not they provide specific benefits. However, not doing so does not equate to disregarding the foreign user base.
Tony does not have a team of dedicated subordinates who can plan out every small feature. He is one man, doing a remarkable but ultimately not flawless job.
We do not know him, we know his work. We can judge the features, saying "this is confusing", but we cannot judge his intentions, saying "he doesn't care about us".

Assurbanipal_II

either not a single second was spent on users abroad, or a deliberate decision was made to accommodate the American user base with what they are familiar.

I don't think you should assign malicious intentions to this so easily.
As far as I understand it, this site is the work of a single man, "All hail Tony", who is probably american. He most likely uses the AM_PM clock himself, so when he made the scheduling feature, it would have never occurred to him that he was making a mistake.
However, I must reiterate that the mistake that I see is that he was using a system that is prone to confusion, which is objectively worse in this scenario. It is not that he somehow disregarded me by not giving me the system I am accustomed to.
Would the website gain from being "international"? That depends on their strategy, but if they want to appeal to everyone, then yes, that would probably be better. So there is an argument to be made about using international standards everywhere, whether or not they provide specific benefits. However, not doing so does not equate to disregarding the foreign user base.
Tony does not have a team of dedicated subordinates who can plan out every small feature. He is one man, doing a remarkable but ultimately not flawless job.
We do not know him, we know his work. We can judge the features, saying "this is confusing", but we cannot judge his intentions, saying "he doesn't care about us".
I left the option open by stating "either not a single second was spent on users abroad, or a deliberate decision was made to accommodate the American user base with what they are familiar."

It is either or, but I am well familiar with "ignorance" without malicious intention. Not that it matters for the other side, as the damage is already done by such an attitude.

And, yes, we can clearly judge him. We live in a globalised world and contact with other systems should be at least be considered. It is not as if this is his first site, far from it. He has years of experience by this point, and the clock debate isn't any new. In fact, if I look now, the site uses Month Day Year as formatting. Less essential, a further sign for whom the site was designed in mind.

As such, Tony cannot claim ignorance for what I would consider at this point best practices and professional diligence. You can understand why he did what he did and where he comes from, but that doesn't mean that it is acceptable. He might not be guilty (morally), but he is still responsible (logically).

AliceShiki

Fair point there~
Month Day Year as formatting. Less essential, a further sign for whom the site was designed in mind.
On a side note, I always get confused with dates for as long as they use any format that is not year/month/date.

I've seen Day/Month/Year and Month/Day/Year in so many different sites by now, that my head kinda naturally mixes both up and I never know which one is the one being used by the site... Sometimes I even got confused on my own computer's clock because of that.

... So, after a while I just started setting everything (if possible, of course) to Year/Month/Day in order to stop myself from being confused~

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I just want it to sync.

I come in and a post is marked as, "yesterday at x:xx."

>updated 17 minutes ago while it's near noon here.

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
No if you work with UTC!!!

And that is the point, your comparison is wrong, this is not a matter of metric, you are more analogous to imperial than metric! You have a system where 12:59 is before 1:00! How absurd is that!
It doesnt matter if you work with UTC or not, 12 hour clocks and 24 hour clocks have no real difference.

And while I do not care which clock should be used, your point is dumb.

- You have a system where 23:59 is before 00:00! How absurd is that!
- As you can see ignoring the complete data to produce such a dumb comparison gets you the nonsense you just spewed.

The 12 hour clock is no more imperial than the 24 hour clock.

As a sidenote, and as we are on a topic of time systems, if you think 12 hour clocks are error-prone, than so is the 12 month system with varying month sizes. and 60-based second/min/hour system that is in no way SI-like. And the weird shit the savings time. Leap year corrections.

As it is quite clear that the current time systems sucks ass from top to bottom, well, atleast choose something which is more than a non-issue at best to complain about? Like MM/DD/YY?