Is it true that female writers are better at writing romance?

forli

One thing to keep in mind is that there seem to be a lot more women writing romance than there are men. So logically, the best romance authors are more likely going to be women, but so are the worst.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I feel like it is sort of true but not 100% true. let me know your thoughts on this.
Probably because they are basically the only one who read romantic stuff and naturally are oriented towards lovey dovey stuff. And well the dating situation where women get the prizes and men get the leftovers probably is playing a role in this

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
If you mean in general, out of some genetic or sociological factors, then I doubt it. Best romance I've read had been written by men - although mostly because it was from classical literature, where men are more dominant. But I don't read romance much out of own volition and with the intent to read romance itself, so maybe I'm missing something.

Agentt

Thighs
Feck no.
Like, I can't even explain how big a fecking no this is
I got a headache reading that question, that's how big a no that is
Like...geez, how did you even reach that conclusion....just wow...
*inhales*
I want to say something like fan service related, that women know what girls like, but that's still a no, such a big no, Gawd, my fingers are refusing to write anymore

Last edited:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
If I let the male soul in me through when I'm writing gay romance, then yeah, he's better. If I'm writing teen-angst goth het-rom, then he's out and she's in. As to which of them thinks they write it better, I'm not even going to go there. Busy enough as it is. :ROFLMAO:

Asdark

i think its all up to imagination and who can be more descriptive and eye-catching at the same time

PancakesWitch

Yes, most male authors are not itnerested in writing romance, and if they do, the way they write it is often geared to male audiences (For example all the bullied/loner boy meets popular girl infesting all of japanese LN nowadays)

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Not necessarily. Female writers are generally better at writing emotions. Sure, it's a stereotype, but it's more or less true. That sometimes translates into a more heartfelt or sweet romance. However, there are many types of romance, and female writers are bad at some of them. Examples include twisted romance, tragic romance or action romance.

Even in this case, there is no clear-cut line. Let's take Titanic for example. Ai-chan can write how they feel, their thoughts and their longings. However, if you ask Ai-chan to write their trysts and challenges in the setting of privileged vs downtrodden, you can bet that Ai-chan will have no idea how to even start.

Ai-chan is also quite good at writing Harlequin romances. Ai-chan just needs them to accept blood-related brother sister incest. So far they have only allowed stepsiblings romance, but that's boring.

Redemit

I've read all kinds of stories from both male and female writers and I'd say I think the absolute best and realistic romances I've ever read were written by men BUUUT they are very few and far between where as women in general write better romances than the majority of male authors

Imahermit

Well, for women they wrote the best romance, for men I’ve experienced I like male written romance more, not smut though, go away

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
I feel like women are more exposed to romantic literature than guys, hence they have a generally better idea of how to write a romance novel. A lot of stories catered to girls involve romance and drama, but it's more action-adventure stuff for guys. So if guys read as much romance as girls we would do just as well.