Learning How To Draw Mangas/Comics

Yorth

Swordman
Hey, you! You're being arrested for the crime of being a weeb. Anything you do or say CAN and WILL be used against you in court!

So you like mangas, and really really wanna draw one, but no matter how you look at things you just don't know from where to start! Don't worry, papa Yorth here will show you the path to light.

Now you might think that you'll need some amazing skills to learn how to draw very detailed backgrounds or really nice sword or magic effects. You don't need those for now, so just forget about it. The MOST important skill you need to learn first is how to draw characters. From body movement to character design, you need to learn all the tricks and techniques first before thinking of anything else.

Here is a cool video that details how to show body movement.

For character design, you need to draw from reference a lot before making your own originals. Even professional mangakas reference fashion magazines for their character's clothing. So, Never ever think that referencing is bad or that it's stealing. As long as it's not just full-on tracing, you should definitely do it. Don't let the horde of angry amateurs in deviant art tell you otherwise!

Also, here is a playlist from a pro mangaka that details how to actually draw mangas and the thinking process behind it. Enjoy!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
character motions? mind if i suggest the highly regarded manga series Grappler Baki for starts?

it's pretty fuckin great

you want action? You fucking got it. a grown man throwing a boy to the ground? why the fuck not?

and the same boy kicking the shit out of another man? you got that

how about a revived samurai slicing the absolute shit out of the yakuza boss who, mind i state is only seven-fucking-teen and is built like a soviet tank on asteroids. not steroids, asteroids

you want the same samurai beating a disabled kenpo fighter? oh boy do i have a treat for you

how about a karate master bullying the son of Muhammad Al? WE FUCKING GOT THAT

DONALD FUCKING TRUMP DOING THE HITLER HEIL WHILE OATHING TO SUCK A JAPANESE OGRE'S (ego) DICK

we got INVISIBLE SWORDS

we got SUMO BARA

whatever the fuck you want, we have it

and those were just the latest chapters, not accounting the previous 4 fucking series that came before it.

boi we got degrading art style

and as a bonus, the one who drew the manga is the father of the mangaka of FUCKING BEASTARS

what the fuck are you doing why aren't you reading

go right fucking now

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Everything starts with stick figures.

If you can draw a circle and smooth lines you got it right.:blob_evil_two:

Yorth

Swordman
Just to put my thoughts out there, I love baki. I've watched all of the animes, and working on the manga. I think it has the best fight scenes of all action mangas

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just to put my thoughts out there, I love baki. I've watched all of the animes, and working on the manga. I think it has the best fight scenes of all action mangas
any scene with the yakuza boss is exquisite wine, imma put that out there first

"dude i got some bullets and HA GOTCHA I HIT YOU SO HARD THEY FIRE IN YOUR FUCKING MOUTH"

and that part in the prison with olivia and baki beating through 5 cages and that thumbcuff and that wallbreaking punch and oh fuck me gotta wash my chair hold on