How many chapters to make before uploading?

IanWhite2105

So one of my least favourite things to see is a novel being uploaded with (a) wonderful title, description, genre(s) and tag(s), yet only 1 chapter has been uploaded. Most readers will think “too little chapters, I’ll comeback when there is more” but very few will actually comeback later. Even if they do comeback, a good portion of writers will drop the book because of low support.
So my thought process is “how many chapters should be uploaded at first to 1: make sure the writer is set on writing this novel, 2: to allow readers to give it a try, and 3: to make sure the author has enough chapter in backlog to keep a steady upload speed.
My personal thought process 20-40 chapters before uploading. 20 chapters is enough to get a good idea if you want to continue writing. It is also not small enough such that it will dissuade readers from reading. I also say an additional 20 to make sure you can keep a steady upload pace.
What is everyone else's thoughts on this?

MissPaige36

✨Senior Forum Citizen✨
I think on scribble hub, its less about chapter and more about word count? Especially writers who write 1k per chapter, usually you’d need to have at least 20 chapters to peek a readers interest. But if you write 3-5k words, having 10 or more chapters is enough. That’s only my opinion though

Asami_Shirogane

First off, I'm guilty as charged when it comes to getting around to seeing my favorites update. Seeing as to how I'm still rewriting my own story and have no set upload frame. Other people uploading short chapters doesn't really bother me, since I figure they have their own things going on in their lives. If people actually want to read my story, that's perfectly fine. If not, then I'll continue to write whatever I want regardless if people read my story or not. I feel like people should do whatever they want, as long as the story has some sort of continuation to it.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
So one of my least favourite things to see is a novel being uploaded with (a) wonderful title, description, genre(s) and tag(s), yet only 1 chapter has been uploaded. Most readers will think “too little chapters, I’ll comeback when there is more” but very few will actually comeback later. Even if they do comeback, a good portion of writers will drop the book because of low support.
So my thought process is “how many chapters should be uploaded at first to 1: make sure the writer is set on writing this novel, 2: to allow readers to give it a try, and 3: to make sure the author has enough chapter in backlog to keep a steady upload speed.
My personal thought process 20-40 chapters before uploading. 20 chapters is enough to get a good idea if you want to continue writing. It is also not small enough such that it will dissuade readers from reading. I also say an additional 20 to make sure you can keep a steady upload pace.
Just have enough to stream line it

Renaxan

Enthusiastic about a lot of things.
I would say 5 is enough to me, knowing how hard actually to put effort on writing a single chapter.

halfBlooming

I need at least 10-20k words, or 2-3 chapters with many parts---like 1.1 to 1.3, 2.1 to 2.3 etc---so I can get to know what's to expect from the story. I think it's enough to understand how consistent the author's writing style is and how they deal with pacing.

AliceHealer

I've migrated from rotal road, but beware of chicken did great imo. First 3 chapters covered the intro, the premise and the core story begins. One small arch that finishes on chapter 3.
Like if one chapter or 20 achieves nothing plot wise it hasn't started
I've migrated from rotal road, but beware of chicken did great imo. First 3 chapters covered the intro, the premise and the core story begins. One small arch that finishes on chapter 3.
Like if one chapter or 20 achieves nothing plot wise it hasn't started

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on how long and complicated your story is going to be. Maybe think more in terms of what % of the entire story you are going to release. 20% is a pretty good start.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Depends on whether you're trying to get readers who will subscribe monetarily or not. If you're just writing for fun, you can just write one and start with that.

If you're doing it for money, probably have at least 10k words to get readers hooked at the beginning.

IanWhite2105

I need at least 10-20k words, or 2-3 chapters with many parts---like 1.1 to 1.3, 2.1 to 2.3 etc---so I can get to know what's to expect from the story. I think it's enough to understand how consistent the author's writing style is and how they deal with pacing.
Personally I don’t think chapters that are formatted “1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc...” are actually chapters. They are more like a scene or subplot.
It depends on how long and complicated your story is going to be. Maybe think more in terms of what % of the entire story you are going to release. 20% is a pretty good start.
So 200-250k words is about 100-150 chapters. Which is a respectable novel size (unless you’re a chinese man trying to “milk the meta”[?]) so 20 chapters is good then?
Depends on whether you're trying to get readers who will subscribe monetarily or not. If you're just writing for fun, you can just write one and start with that.

If you're doing it for money, probably have at least 10k words to get readers hooked at the beginning.
It is more to get notice and “traffic” towards your book/novel. Personally I never read a novel on the “recently uploaded” feed unless it is at least 15-20 (if it catches my brain). The purpose of the first novel(s)/book(s) you upload isn’t for money, but validation (If not then ye need yer goals straighten).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

As many as you can fry out and serve.

Last edited by a moderator:

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
I write as I go, though I had three chapters before posting.

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
I never do this type of things.. I just write as I go. So that is also an answer to my low update schedule or no schedule at all..