Feeling bad because of AI

Nixil

This is my latest artwork:

I was working on it when I heard about Dalle 2 and I lost a lot of motivation to do art. Then I read articles on Dalle 2 and AI in general and it just became even more depressing. I was only doing it as a hobby so I probably don't feel as bad as artists who may directly lose their jobs from the release, but I don't feel any enjoyment from doing art if I know AI can do it faster and better than I could. Maybe not Dalle 2, but in the very near future.

Reading about how all jobs and creative fields could be impacted by AI in the near future made me want to get back to work even though I was on break.

I also only recently realised how long I stopped watching anime and only recently watched demon slayer and jujutsu kaisen. If you can, could you recommend me some anime from like the past decade.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author

I was working on it when I heard about Dalle 2 and I lost a lot of motivation to do art. Then I read articles on Dalle 2 and AI in general and it just became even more depressing. I was only doing it as a hobby so I probably don't feel as bad as artists who may directly lose their jobs from the release, but I don't feel any enjoyment from doing art if I know AI can do it faster and better than I could. Maybe not Dalle 2, but in the very near future.

Reading about how all jobs and creative fields could be impacted by AI in the near future made me want to get back to work even though I was on break.

I also only recently realised how long I stopped watching anime and only recently watched demon slayer and jujutsu kaisen. If you can, could you recommend me some anime from like the past decade.
I can understand that. I'm signed up for Dalle 2 release so I understand your fears. Though the ai works by taking art or photos from other places to form the picture. Yeah, it works but artists will always be needed to make more intricate and detailed art such as character illustrations and comics. Dalle and Dalle 2 will only be able to create images using pre-drawn samples so artists will still have work. however, it may only be for the best-skilled artists.

As for anime, I would recommend Darker than black, Steins gate, Vinland saga, jobless reincarnation, and black lagoon.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
AI won't overtake creative jobs. They will innovate it.

It's like speeding up the engine by several times. Imagine how faster movies and comics will be created. All the wrist destroying monotonous works will be done by the AI so that the artist can concentrate on the actual content.

Jemini

Depends what genres you like. I have quite the library of anime to recommend, but would need to narrow it down a bit to give best recommendations for you.

Some off the top of my head...

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Slice of life Isekai about a major bibliophile who gets reincarnated as a 5 year old peasant in a medieval-technology civilization where books are only for the nobility. What action there is will be a minor part of the story and usually only occurs in the final 2 episodes of any given season, but it is INCREDIBLY good.

And now, just to show my range...

Black Lagoon: A mature seinen action anime about a delivery company out of the most crime-riddled port in the world, controlled by 4 major mob-bosses (the Bronfa, the Triads, the Mafia, and the Cartels,) the city is a site of almost daily shoot-outs and turf-wars. The insane action and violence in this series, combined with a gratuitous use of the F-bomb by one screw-loose character in particular, make this series the one you show to your non-anime viewing friends who you want to lure into the world of anime. I promise you, if they like R-rated action, they will like this series.

And a personal recommendation...

Daughter of 20 Faces: A true criminally underrated gem of an anime inspired by the works of Edogawa Rampo. This somewhat touching action/adventure/mystery series follows the adopted daughter of the Phantom Thief of 20 Faces, and her time spent with his troupe of thieves. You get to watch as she grows up and develops her skills in acrobatics, combat, deception, and disguise as this already bright and determined girl gains the tools and skills she needs to survive in a harsh world.

There's your little grab-bag. I also concur with the recommendations given by @Paul_Tromba but would mention that Darker than Black is somewhat generic. I mean, it's definitely good enough to warrant a 4/5 star rating, but it's kind of paint-by-numbers so far as action super-powered anime go. (Yes, I've gotten to THAT level in terms of my anime tastes.)

EDIT: (That said, you stated you enjoyed Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen, both superior works in the same general theme as Darker than Black. So, you'll probably like it well enough. Although, if you're going that route, I'd more strongly recommend something from the FATE series. Namely, Fate//Stay Night, Fate//Zero, or Fate//Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, or the movie trilogy (starting with Heaven's Feel.) Those 4 are the only ones in the FATE series that are really worth the time IMO. The rest are just the Disney Star Wars of the Fate universe.)

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

future.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does this mean that you draw not to express yourself but to feel that you are better than others?
isnt that all artists?

D

Deleted member 54065

Not really. Some do it for the buck and don't give a shit about being superior. And some draw to satisfy and spread their sexual fetishes; god bless their souls, we need more of those.
And I do it because my stories need some illustrations. And because I can, I'd rather do it than hire another artist.

apexaltra

As an artist, I don't think AI will ever fully replace people in this regard. Even if AI gets to the point where it can generate art without smooshing existing pictures together (which yeah, that might not be far off, if it hasn't already been developed) there will always be a market for art drawn by people, because some customers will see non-AI art as being inherently more valuable. Plus, when you're working with an artist you can ask them to make edits, add or subtract details, etc- the art will be more intricate and customized to what you want, as opposed to the art an AI can pop out.

Also I feel like there's a good chance that, if an AI that can independently create illustrations gets released, that sucker will probably be licensed to big companies for a hefty price. Regular people will probably still need to commission artists.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Oresuki
lol. Nope, you good.

Attachments

• lol-nope.PNG
    lol-nope.PNG
    732 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
You're overthinking it. People also talk a lot about how AI will make translators lose their jobs and the like and... Honestly, it's nonsense.

AIs are useful and get some jobs done, but there are some things that simply require a human element to work out properly.

In terms of art, it's simply a matter of user input. There is a limit to how much the AI can make that will fit the needs of the requester... Like, sure, I can get a pretty functional cover by using something like Waifulabs, but if I want a cover that perfectly fits my book and my vision for a cover, then I need to commission an artist. That won't ever change no matter how much the art AI improves, because the AI simply can't hear my detailed requests, send me drafts and hear what I want changed, what kind of art style I want and whatnot. A human element is necessary there.

Similarly, on the translation area, machine translation is fantastic for scientific texts and the like, because those only need technical knowledge to be translated and nothing else. Which is where a machine excels at... But once you start looking at fiction, the machine falls apart. It simply can't understand implied stuff or references to past chapters (or pop culture references). It also can't understand the intent of the text and go beyond the literal translation... And well, it becomes even worse when there are things like rhymes and rhythm for songs and stuff.

So like... Seriously, stop overworrying. Artists are not going to lose their jobs or anything. AI can help people to some extent, but it has a limit that is impossible to overcome. The human element is required for some things, so the artists will keep on having their jobs~

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
That's the first I'm hearing of it. I had to go look it up. That's rather exciting to me as a person who wants cheap illustrations. The things I've been poking at suck when it comes to humans.

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
guessilldie.jpg

Dall-E 2 makes you hopeless? Here, learn about Imagen too o(*≧▽≦)ツ┏━┓

Oreo

The thing about AI is they're only as smart as the people who made them. They might be able to better themselves with enough data, but we don't have to worry about them yet as long as they don't apply to an art school that will reject them.

Honour_Rae

AI is very, very limited. I've been told for years that drones were going to take over my RL job (house delivery). You'd think it would be simple, right? Have a drone drop a package in front of customer's front door.

Yet the AI systems can't manage it and even the demos they put out a couple times a year are staged for the easiest examples in wide open suburbia. The AI can't find doors that might be on the side of the house, or houses that don't have big visible addresses out front, or those weird houses that are just around the corner from where you'd think they were. They can't account for fast growing foliage that obscures signage, or construction, dogs out front, complex apartments... it goes on and on.

Hype aside, if an AI can't figure out how to drop a package on a rando's front step--something any idiot can do, and I know because I am one-- we're a long way from it making creative decisions with a lot of human input guiding it.

T.K._Paradox

Was Divided By Zero: Looking for Glovebox Jesus
The thing about AI is they're only as smart as the people who made them. They might be able to better themselves with enough data, but we don't have to worry about them yet as long as they don't apply to an art school that will reject them.
To create an A.I. to replicate human brain you'd have not only understand how to how the brain works in the entirety. But also how to program every single one of those functions.

That is literally impossible.

Mortrexo

I was working on it when I heard about Dalle 2 and I lost a lot of motivation to do art.

See this video, it may remotivate you. You can work with AI to create absolutely awesome works!