Adventurer guilds in fantasy

rain-090

How do yall feel about how adventurer guilds are generally done in fantasy worlds? What do you think they should be like, or if they should even exist at all.

D

Deleted member 54065

Adventurer's guild, in my opinion, is just a glorified/romanticized mercenary company staple of fantasy stories.

Honestly, I don't incorporate it in my isekai/fantasy work, as it is really cliche in other stories that I don't read the mechanics anymore and still follow the narrative through.

Ninini

Capitalism! But sadly I do survival stories more, so not much. My latest idea is has no society.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
A global organisation that just exists for the sake of the people, foregoing any kind of influence it could have? Yeah, no.

In most stories they just exist for MC to flex and or getting a cheap ID.

rain-090

A global organisation that just exists for the sake of the people, foregoing any kind of influence it could have? Yeah, no.

In most stories they just exist for MC to flex and or getting a cheap ID.
What influence could they have?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
What influence could they have?
An organization that has almost all of the worlds most powerful people? Maybe a bit more than being a temp agency. I mean they could effectively take over the world without any problems and yet in most stories they just exist for MCs

aattss

From what I understand, they're basically in between freelancers and people who need stuff done. Though sometimes they'll also have some sort of influence over the freelancers working for them, I guess because it's harder for people to get work without going through them, or because they have political power due to the freelancers being pretty strong relative to guards/the army.

I suppose I feel like it's a bit overused? Like, there are other, less systematic ways of having the protagonist encounter problems that need solving or sell the loot they got from hunting/exploring.

unknownking

your local shitposter
it depends on what kind of guild we are talking about. Are we talking about craftmanship guilds? Mercenary guilds and so forth. As for craftmanship guilds, they are more regulatory bodies. They dictate the quality of the products one can sell, as well as who can even sell those products, and to whom you are even allowed to sell, + set up prices. To keep it short, they are kind of monopolies.

Depending on how your fantasy world is built, and how the guilds are (for example, in my case local and kingdom guilds coexist), guilds could for example act as "Fantasy amazon one-day delivery, which wouldn't be uncommon if they have a wide network).

The dynamics between kingdom guilds and local guilds could be even more interesting since both might have clashing interests, for example.