Before and After: How different are your characters during planning and writing?

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
Just a thread for people to express how their characters changed during writing, it happens and if anyone has anything interesting to talk about or just vent in that regard go for it.

For me it was between rewrite of Transmigration and Fantasy (Or T&F for short) aka Re:Maou
My second protagonist Rosia (The pink-haired girl in cover of both versions) was more moral and supposed to act as a sort moral compass for Maova (who's the first protagonist), can a bit impulsive and usually don't show too much emotion, which looking back I'm really bad at writing that particular trait, mind you she was never meant to be nice and more of an anti-hero but not a murder happy psychopath who look down on almost everyone either. That was kind of the initial plan for her when I didn't plan things out quite yet.
Now onto Re:Maou. I pretty much keep all the plot points but changing her from anti-hero to more of a villain. Apathetic to almost everyone, violence is yes, actually writing to make her seem emotionless better than last time, killing is always an option, may have done unspeakable things to girls in the cells back home, try to charm girls and break their minds for her amusement, and wouldn't hesitate to castrate men in the most painful way possible. The only redeeming thing about her is that she doesn't do any of these things to her loved ones which aren't many.
Basically Rosia went from anti-hero in T&F to villain protagonist in Re:Maou.
Think the reason why I made her more sadistic and cunning overtime is because I partially based her on Zizel from Witch's Heart, another pink-haired demon I can't get out of my head, and she's no saint despite sticking to the protagonist's side, but honestly it's also because I think making the love interest of the Demon Lord a worse person than she is is funny.

Did I make this thread because I want to point the change in the character I created myself? Maybe.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I don't really plan out characters. Usually, I just create a base character that is meant to fulfill a specific role in the story and let their personality bleed onto the pages as I write.

And yes, this means there are some accidental stereotypes. @Anon2021 about your question a while back involving the use of Fairies, no, they will not willingly dive bomb a person's asshole. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
And yes, this means there are some accidental stereotypes. @Anon2021 about your question a while back involving the use of Fairies, no, they will not willingly dive bomb a person's asshole. However, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
If I recall correctly it was @SailusGebel who brought that up. I think I only mentioned that fairies had certain applications in smut.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Whaaa? I was talking about fairies? Are you sure you don't mistake me with Saileri like Oreo does?
You posted the picture of the fairy near some person's behind. I didn't mention that at all and was just trying to clarify my question had nothing to do with fairies dive bombing someone's ass.

SailusGebel

You posted the picture of the fairy near some person's behind. I didn't mention that at all and was just trying to clarify my question had nothing to do with fairies dive bombing someone's ass.
You know, your clarification only confused me even more. And the fact that I don't remember a thing doesn't help me. Welp, it's the usual me, not understanding a god damn thing that is happening.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
It has happened to me several times during the course of my novel.

In one part, introducing one of the antagonists, Vilhelm, I had planned for him to be a noble, genius strategist, cold and meticulous. In the end he ended up becoming all that, but he has a strange obsession with the protagonist's mother because she is the only one who has defeated him. Vilhem sees her as a kind of unattainable goddess that he hopes to match. Similar to Kira from Jojos bizarre adventure part 4.

I also had another character, Lisa, a yandere succubus who is in love with the main character, she tries to control herself and not to go completely crazy. I had planned for her to be a dramatic character, a constant struggle to contain herself, a tension that she could kill someone at any moment. But by the time I wrote it, she ended up as a comic character. It's just very funny how she reacts completely different from what a normal person would do, or how she tries to do something with good intentions, but her own personality betrays her.

But I think that the one that has changed the most has been the sister of the protagonist because she was just a tool for the reader, a short-term reason to understand why the protagonist did what he did. He ends up rescuing her in a short time and after that he had nothing planned for her. Obviously I kept writing about her trying to integrate her into the story in a coherent way, after all this happened for her, I couldn't just kill her off. Well, the more I wrote about her, the more I came to understand that she should be someone who supports the main character, she knows she can't do everything he does, but that doesn't mean she can't help other people as well. I'm trying to get her to end up wanting to become a doctor after saving her brother from various injuries after a hard battle.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Replying with based to Lloyd's comments.
and if you'd look to your left, you can find Sailus being a simp
Then what’s the first best
its morbin time
Just a thread for people to express how their characters changed during writing, it happens and if anyone has anything interesting to talk about or just vent in that regard go for it.

For me it was between rewrite of Transmigration and Fantasy (Or T&F for short) aka Re:Maou
My second protagonist Rosia (The pink-haired girl in cover of both versions) was more moral and supposed to act as a sort moral compass for Maova (who's the first protagonist), can a bit impulsive and usually don't show too much emotion, which looking back I'm really bad at writing that particular trait, mind you she was never meant to be nice and more of an anti-hero but not a murder happy psychopath who look down on almost everyone either. That was kind of the initial plan for her when I didn't plan things out quite yet.
Now onto Re:Maou. I pretty much keep all the plot points but changing her from anti-hero to more of a villain. Apathetic to almost everyone, violence is yes, actually writing to make her seem emotionless better than last time, killing is always an option, may have done unspeakable things to girls in the cells back home, try to charm girls and break their minds for her amusement, and wouldn't hesitate to castrate men in the most painful way possible. The only redeeming thing about her is that she doesn't do any of these things to her loved ones which aren't many.
Basically Rosia went from anti-hero in T&F to villain protagonist in Re:Maou.
Think the reason why I made her more sadistic and cunning overtime is because I partially based her on Zizel from Witch's Heart, another pink-haired demon I can't get out of my head, and she's no saint despite sticking to the protagonist's side, but honestly it's also because I think making the love interest of the Demon Lord a worse person than she is is funny.

Did I make this thread because I want to point the change in the character I created myself? Maybe.
exact same. I always made characters first. Sometimes i write down little details such as likes or dislikes, but i often just select a personality i want for them and keep it pretty consistent. i dont often do things outside their character.

Rather, how would i? People are controlled by their peronalties. If im a coward or cautious, i aint gonna be the one investigating weird sounds in the woods first. It just wouldnt be "me." People just react to things differently based on who they are as a person.

I remember bitching about this once. A character ws described as cold, merciless and cautious...then fuking goe out and antagonies a powerful force for the sake of saving some random people he met only recently and has no deep connecton with. He's suppoed to stay low profile and get revenge for his brother...WHY IS HE TRYING TO RESCUE STRANGERS FROM POWERFUL ORGANIZATIONS?! And then he recklessly baits two fations into fighting te other, then reaping the spoils...like, thats fine, but a drying dragon is still a dragon. and you'r a lvl 10 noob. Fuking stay in character, know what i mean?

SailusGebel

and if you'd look to your left, you can find Sailus being a simp

Horizon209

My character in my current novel is Catalinna Ignis. I wanted her to be someone who rivals my mc who she's mostly annoyed with while being a hotheaded, battle junkie. Decided to change her to someone nice and gentle to some characters and points out the bullshit of other male characters, especially my mc but still willing to fight anyone who hurts him or any of her friends.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
My character Shiro from Caninstinct just gets progressively doomer each year. Just when you thought you couldn't snuff out any more light from his eyes they turn darker yet again.