Insta-love/Fated mates - thoughts??

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Bit of a Friday ramble - I hate those tropes. Really, whenever I see them in a description, I fling the book to the four corners and hope a demon eats it.
But are they really so bad? I am writing that very thing. I think the problem I have is when the characters know they're 'fated' to be together and the second they meet, are all over each other. If it just works like a normal relationship would, with both parties attracted to each other and subtly showing it, then it's fine - you can reveal the 'fated' part some other way. Because, unless they have a bit of paper with the name of their mate and that they're fated, how would they know?

So for those who love fated mates - why? Do you prefer it to a normal relationship? Do you like to see that they're fated early on, from the time they meet?

Or, like me, do you prefer it to be more of a slow burn, a gradual reveal, because even they don't know they're fated? And if insta-love comes with the package, what do you like about that?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Bit of a Friday ramble - I hate those tropes. Really, whenever I see them in a description, I fling the book to the four corners and hope a demon eats it.
But are they really so bad? I am writing that very thing. I think the problem I have is when the characters know they're 'fated' to be together and the second they meet, are all over each other. If it just works like a normal relationship would, with both parties attracted to each other and subtly showing it, then it's fine - you can reveal the 'fated' part some other way. Because, unless they have a bit of paper with the name of their mate and that they're fated, how would they know?

So for those who love fated mates - why? Do you prefer it to a normal relationship? Do you like to see that they're fated early on, from the time they meet?

Or, like me, do you prefer it to be more of a slow burn, a gradual reveal, because even they don't know they're fated? And if insta-love comes with the package, what do you like about that?
most of the time i love it but only because i read that in erotica and the attraction is what's present foremost. I can understand that, its normal. Havng an unbearable attraction. The problems arise when they are irrationally jealous and possessive. I hate that. But im fine with instant attraction and even love so long as its not unreasonable toxic alpha male bullshit where you cant even talk to their women without them getting pissy.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Depends on genre. Since what I’m writing isn’t a romance, all the romantic stuff will bog it down. I’m writing a smut so the need for smut is stronger than the need for romance.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Hm. Random desire to make the reference, but William the Ever Randy--dunno how many of yall would know who that is--is probably my favorite character when it comes to these types of stories. The dude is fucking remorseless womanizing badass who made even a cuck out of Zeus himself.

Love everything about him, really. Reminds me so much of myself
What does this even mean
four corners of the world. Its an expression

TroubleFait

I think it's interesting.

It's fiction, sometimes the author decided the characters will end up together. And the author can do that in varyingly contrived ways. "Random chance, of course, it absolutely isn't just the plot, why would you think that."

I like it when a fiction avoids those pitfalls by acknowledging its tropes. So the characters are going to end up together no matter what? They're fated lovers. It can be more or less explicit.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I personally am rather neutral to this trope, as long as it's shown in reasonable way. Having fated lovers meet and develop their relationship from simple infatuation to something deeper is completely alright, because that's more or less how a crush works.

Though I have seen (and myself wrote, before I learned to do it better) many examples that are simply unbearable, because the fact they are fated lovers doesn't mean they have to be instantly the happiest couple in the world. Even if they fall in love at first sight, there should be some kind of conflicts and doubts about their relationship that would give it depth and show that you need to shake a container to mix two things properly.

Also, fated lovers are fine with me as long as they are portrayed as humans, not f*cking loving machines who have only one thing playing on repeat in their minds. One thing I did't like in almost any story I've read is obsessiveness and possessiveness, because way too many authors don't understand that loving someone to death doesn't mean having that person only for yourself and getting jealous when they only talk with another person of matching gender. Being a bit possessive is nice, but love story revolving around being possessive is just revolting.

Another thing is having one person fall in love and do everything to get the person they want disregarding anything else, and I genuinely hate that. Sometimes it's done well, but I've developed an apathy to this kind of behavior because of tons of tragedies where someone falls in love and does everything to get the other one to even notice them while not being cute and lovable doing that, but stupid and hard to even understand, much less empathize with. Even worse if it's on both sides, and the whole story is about unsuccesfully trying to say three damned words.

Like some stories (mostly cultivation stories) where the mc goes to hell and beyond because someone hurt his girl. I understnad why someone would do that, but in my opinion it's just unnecesarily cheesy and unoriginal, especially if we're talking about harems, and shows the way of thinking not along the lines of 'she was hurt so I must make sure she's alright' but 'she was hurt so I'll kill everyone responsible so they won't do it again'. Blergh. That's love for an object, not deep love for a person.

I got kinda derailed in the end, but well. Hope that answers the question.

Last edited:

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
So what would you say about fated mates, one whose sole goal is an all-consuming quest for power, no matter how many die in the process? As they are fated, how will the other cope when they decide this is wrong and they can't stand by their mate's side?

In many of these fated mates things, the two seem to lose all sense of self once they meet. But why do authors think it should be that way? it would be interesting to read about a character who's pulled in two directions at once - if he has to choose, he's going to lose some part of himself. If that was handled well, that would be awesome. How much of himself could he hang on to, if he's not going to be able to live away from his mate?