Writers block tips?

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
Any useful advice to push through depression induced writers block?
Look through your work more and find the stuff that you think is good. If not that then take a break from writing and do something you enjoy or just relax.

LostLibrarian

Write. Hate it. Write again. Hate it more. Write.

A lot of blocks follow "writing yourself in a corner" or "don't know what to do next". So challenge yourself, write that chapter, see if it fits and if not, delete it and write again. Waiting for the muse to come and give you the right idea seldom works.

New motivation follows a new cool idea, and ideas follow a lot of grind. Make your brain think about your scene/plot over and over and over again. Until you find that one solution you like. And that solution will push you forward once more...

D

Deleted member 54065

Whenever that happens to me, I stop, do something else until I get tired of it, and try to return to writing.

If it doesn't work, I rest. Gather some ideas, then try to write.

Now here's the thing. Most likely, you'll produce something during those moments, but you won't like it. My suggestion is keep those notes/drafts. It may read worse now, though in the future when you feel much better, it may be one of the best you've ever written.

Depression is a strong feeling after all, and most of the time, powerful emotions helps in writing.

And yes, keep on writing as well, if you can force yourself through it. Think of your situation like an 'unsharpened pencil'. Your ideas would develop the more you 'sharpen'/write about it, eventually leading you out of your block.

whitewoman

i just do creative shit horizontally. If i don't feel like writing i rhyme, if i dont feel like rhyming i produce and then so on. Or go read/watch stuff. Your mind will turn gears in the background.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 57675

Pats. Treat yourself to something you'd like.
Do other creative stuff besides writing.
Upturn everything to clean every speck of dust.
Go somewhere you can relax.

Paint helps but idk everyone else is different. Spme people like socialize, some like to be more withdrawn and reclusive for time to selfheal (or try too). I feel like treating oneself but that can be lead to bad shopping habits if you don't control yourself. Also crying it out at things/others that stress you sometimes helps relieve temporarily.

As you can see, I'm not a good adviser.

Last edited by a moderator: