Would it be possible?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Do you think it'd be possible to explain to a human from ten thousand years ago that our everyday items aren't the outcome of magic?

And if for some reason, your answer is yes, would our so called magic become science in their eyes?

Maldon

It could take a while, but I'm sure it's not impossible, people of the past weren't stupid after all.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Well, you need to find the right audience who are open minded and willing to listen.

If not, you are at best seen as a fool or at worse, a witch.

Also, do yourself a favor and don't talk to the church. Seriously, don't

D

Deleted member 54065

Ironically, some of the early scientists are church men. And the ones that kept 'knowledge' and 'literacy' alive during the dark ages are also monks from the monasteries.

Example: Gregor Mendel (genetics) is an Augustinian friar.

Nekroz

Well, you need to find the right audience who are open minded and willing to listen.

I believe you have a misconception about churches my good... Err person. Its not don't talk to the church, rather, don't talk to the wrong church.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Ironically, some of the early scientists are church men. And the ones that kept 'knowledge' and 'literacy' alive during the dark ages are also monks from the monasteries.

Example: Gregor Mendel (genetics) is an Augustinian friar.
Where there are people, there will be politics.

While saying things that seem magical aren't it might be fine to the clergymen. However, if you decide to go slightly atheistic or even against their teachings, it is the roman candle for you.

I believe you have a misconception about churches my good... Err person. Its not don't talk to the church, rather, don't talk to the wrong church.
Slightly hard to tell whose the right church when the main boi of the old days is the Roman Catholic Church. IIRC they declare everyone else as heretics.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Yes, though it depends on how old the person is and how much time you have to explain. Ten thousand years ago, our species wasn't much different from the way it is now in terms of brain development. We've been gradually building safer societies and making more of our brain power, though we still have a long way to go.

D

Deleted member 54065

Where there are people, there will be politics.
Of course. It's a given. Even within your family, there are politics.

And the 48 laws of power is really effective in manipulating 'power' to your benefit.
While saying things that seem magical aren't it might be fine to the clergymen. However, if you decide to go slightly atheistic or even against their teachings, it is the roman candle for you.
Yeah, one thing that is weird about church and science is that, one has to 'align' themselves with the teachings of the organized religion, yet they are also 'free to discover', as long as it aligns/don't contradict with the views of the church leaders. The life of Galileo Galilei comes to mind.

In any case, while there are hiccups, I guess it's wrong to assume that the church is fully 'anti-science', for--just like in modern politics--everyone's views evolve over time.

D

Deleted member 57675

Do you think it'd be possible to explain to a human from ten thousand years ago that our everyday items aren't the outcome of magic?

And if for some reason, your answer is yes, would our so called magic become science in their eyes?

Agreed, especially if one already stood out by appearance/gender. You would be condemned a witch and tortured/burnt unless you look semi passable to look like an oddball but not a crazy heretic.
It could take a while, but I'm sure it's not impossible, people of the past weren't stupid after all.
True. Not all of the old them but the few that are more open minded. Theres always some no matter where one goes.

Cap

Realistically? Probably not.

I don't personally know anyone who speaks Proto-Indo-European.

Dieter

the Writer
I think you have a misconception of science. Scientific Inquiry is a process grounded in reason where by contributions of many we eliminate bias and come to a conclusion that is good enough for action. Though this, we accumulate and build upon concrete knowledge laid down by previous luminaries. Forward a hundred or so years and we have the modern world.

Science and Magic aren't opposed with each other. You can suppose if we discover the existence of magic today, it will be classified as a phenomena and studied.

As for your question, ten thousand years isn't that long and they'd be just as mentally capable as we are. They don't have the blessing of complex culture as we do, which will make teaching many concepts to near impossible, but given a generation or two, we can probably even absorb them into our society and no laymen would be able to tell the difference.

Arkus86

First you would have to establish a common language and then teach them all the concepts behind the tech not known in their time, so it's theoretically possible, but good luck actually succeeding.

There were not many organised churches ten thousand years ago. Rather, I would go so far as to say there were none.

So maybe don't talk to the wrong shaman