Relatively new here and could use some help

TheWoodenOne

I really love coming up with new things and thinking up stories, but I never get to write them. I want to write a story and just maybe finish it. Its just that before I ever get that far I lose the motivation, the perfect timeline I planned out just vanishes, and suddenly everything doesn't make sense anymore and there is plot in my holes. Does some have any tips or maybe their own experience to share on this? I really want to write and get further than just one or two chapters.

Thank you to whoever is reading this, even if they might not know something that could help.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
The best thing I can say is to write without thinking of what people will say. If your first novel has plot holes that can serve as a learning experience. My first novel has many problems, but I still write out of enjoyment.

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
I really love coming up with new things and thinking up stories, but I never get to write them. I want to write a story and just maybe finish it. Its just that before I ever get that far I lose the motivation, the perfect timeline I planned out just vanishes, and suddenly everything doesn't make sense anymore and there is plot in my holes. Does some have any tips or maybe their own experience to share on this? I really want to write and get further than just one or two chapters.

Thank you to whoever is reading this, even if they might not know something that could help.

What is usually happening here is that you came up with a neat idea that you were able to describe within a chapter or two. Once the bulk of that is done your brain labels it as a "task done" and gives you "feel good" reward hormones and turns off.

And then you feel dopamine crash as the feel-good drugs running out and you don't really want to write anymore.

What you want to plan first is the end of the story. Push your neat idea as far down the plot as possible so your brain still thinks you are achieving that task. Come up with intermediate neat ideas that would guide you from the beginning of the story till the end (if you are the planner type) or just write in the general direction of your neat idea if you prefer to fly by the seat of your pants.

Colinllama

I've found posting chapters online has kept me motivated to carry on writing. Although I'd hoped to have received more feedback, seeing the number of views climb on here is addictive.

Write 2-3 chapters, then start posting on here. It might just give you the push you need to finish your story.

RockiesRetriever

For all writing needs, I recommend this creative writing series by author Brandon Sanderson. It's focused on sci fi and fantasy, but it has application in all genres. It has helped me substantially, and I'm certain that the video on plotting will help you a lot.

TheWoodenOne

What is usually happening here is that you came up with a neat idea that you were able to describe within a chapter or two. Once the bulk of that is done your brain labels it as a "task done" and gives you "feel good" reward hormones and turns off.

And then you feel dopamine crash as the feel-good drugs running out and you don't really want to write anymore.

What you want to plan first is the end of the story. Push your neat idea as far down the plot as possible so your brain still thinks you are achieving that task. Come up with intermediate neat ideas that would guide you from the beginning of the story till the end (if you are the planner type) or just write in the general direction of your neat idea if you prefer to fly by the seat of your pants.
I do that already but even if i havent reached my "goal" I just crash and burn.
For all writing needs, I recommend this creative writing series by author Brandon Sanderson. It's focused on sci fi and fantasy, but it has application in all genres. It has helped me substantially, and I'm certain that the video on plotting will help you a lot.

Already watched that one and am watching the other ones... i started watching them while procrastinating.
The best thing I can say is to write without thinking of what people will say. If your first novel has plot holes that can serve as a learning experience. My first novel has many problems, but I still write out of enjoyment.
I dont really get to the enjoyment part because it annoys me if stuff is messed up to much...
I've found posting chapters online has kept me motivated to carry on writing. Although I'd hoped to have received more feedback, seeing the number of views climb on here is addictive.

Write 2-3 chapters, then start posting on here. It might just give you the push you need to finish your story.
Tried it and failed... somewhat same story as I've described.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
Write a short story, that’s what I did. My latest story is just a small scene set over only a few minutes. Some of my favorite stories are short works.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Set a schedule you can stick to. Before I became a mom, I would write every night before bed, but now I have to use my hands to prevent my toddler from kicking me in the face while sucking my nipples instead of using my hands for writing.

doravg

103/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Hm, you need to gamify your experience. 86 days ago, I was before a burn-out. I nearly skipped a writing day, and, although I didn't skip it, I still wrote less than my quota. Then, I found WriteNext. A site that gives you badges and achievements for words written. Now, I have half a million words written in those 86 days alone. Here is a link to the site:
WriteNext
It is completely free, you just need a registration.
Here are my stats:
Untitled.png

Temple

I dont really get to the enjoyment part because it annoys me if stuff is messed up to much...
Ah, you're probably looking for the perfect start. If this is a game, it's like you messed up a character and then want to restart, and restart, and restart. I'm also similar in that I want to write my story differently and all that. I think what's stopping me from doing that are the readers. It's another thing though to find the readers to support you when starting out.
Then, I found WriteNext.
Oh hey this is cool. This is also sort what I do, but I use 4thewords to gamify my writing experience.

TheWoodenOne

Ah, you're probably looking for the perfect start. If this is a game, it's like you messed up a character and then want to restart, and restart, and restart. I'm also similar in that I want to write my story differently and all that. I think what's stopping me from doing that are the readers. It's another thing though to find the readers to support you when starting out.

Oh hey this is cool. This is also sort what I do, but I use 4thewords to gamify my writing experience.
Yeah sounds about right...

Hm, you need to gamify your experience. 86 days ago, I was before a burn-out. I nearly skipped a writing day, and, although I didn't skip it, I still wrote less than my quota. Then, I found WriteNext. A site that gives you badges and achievements for words written. Now, I have half a million words written in those 86 days alone. Here is a link to the site:
WriteNext
It is completely free, you just need a registration.
Here are my stats:
View attachment 14722
I'm gonna check it out.

apexaltra

How much planning goes into your story? If you're thinking up the plot as you go along, try outlining your story and writing some short character descriptions. You don't need to have every detail mapped out from beginning to end, but have some major plot points, scenes, arcs, character arcs, etc. in mind that you can use to help guide you.

For actually writing, personally what helps me is to have a fairly short words-per-day goal. Typically 200-400 words. That way I can write without getting burnt out, and it adds up over time. Plus I usually end up writing more than planned.

For plot holes, how much do you edit your works? It might benefit you to write a few chapters or an arc at a time, and then go back and do 2-4 rounds of editing before you start on the next part of your story. That's what I do at least. Or, you can take the more traditional novel-writer's approach and write your story in its entirety before editing. But also, I wouldn't worry too much about plot holes especially if you're just starting out. People might not even notice them, and if someone does, they might not care if your story in entertaining enough.

TheWoodenOne

How much planning goes into your story? If you're thinking up the plot as you go along, try outlining your story and writing some short character descriptions. You don't need to have every detail mapped out from beginning to end, but have some major plot points, scenes, arcs, character arcs, etc. in mind that you can use to help guide you.

For actually writing, personally what helps me is to have a fairly short words-per-day goal. Typically 200-400 words. That way I can write without getting burnt out, and it adds up over time. Plus I usually end up writing more than planned.

For plot holes, how much do you edit your works? It might benefit you to write a few chapters or an arc at a time, and then go back and do 2-4 rounds of editing before you start on the next part of your story. That's what I do at least. Or, you can take the more traditional novel-writer's approach and write your story in its entirety before editing. But also, I wouldn't worry too much about plot holes especially if you're just starting out. People might not even notice them, and if someone does, they might not care if your story in entertaining enough.
Planning around two weeks up to a month, the most was two months so far. Mostly with writen notes, timelines and sometimes descriptions of the world the story plays in.

The word goal might be worth trying since I have not done that before. As for editing... I'm a bit perfectionistic and cant bring myself to write the next chapter if I'm not satisfied with the one I was working on. The fact of know other might not care doesnt reall help since its more an issue of pride or ego.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
Those Brandon Sanderson lectures are really good. I watched them all. The books by KM Weiland are also really good too. The only other thing you can do is read and critique other works (this works, really well) and JUST WRITE.
Even if you know before you even start that it will stink. Do it anyway. You can edit and rework shite. You can't edit nothing at all.
and there is plot in my holes.

yeah, plot in your holes.... :ROFLMAO: