How well can you take criticism?

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
I eat that stuff like I eat dry rice, by reading it while drinking a soda.

Bonus

I don't mind criticism because it helps me know if something is wrong.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I'll take fucking ANYTHING at this point. Praise or poison. Something to know someone's reading my stuff and paying enough attention to warrant an opinion from their experience.

Dieter

the Writer
If this is about your earlier post where someone called you pretentious then know that its because your English isn't that good yet.
There isn't anything wrong with imitating or trying to write dramatically; I prefer those ones over the barebone myself.
But if you wish to exhibit style, you require knowledge, which requires time and toil. So I suppose, you should read more good books.

And also, I beseech you to resize your signature. It takes a quarter of my monitor. Thanks.

Immortal_17

There are some people who intentionally wish to bring you down which will make you remove your story. They get mad over one thing then rate your story one star. I'd rather ignore these sadistic idiots.

Jailbreak571

Former CEO of Kamazon. Active lurker
Hmm, I don't know. I guess I can take some normal criticism but I'll probably think about it a lot, like a lot lot. I don't think I take some big ones but I guess it helps me take down my arrogance pretty well? It's pretty complicated not gonna lie.

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
legitimate criticism, no problem.

criticism that's just someone being a giant phallus because trolls gonna troll? well, they can go suck on a live grenade that's missing it's pin.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
If this is about your earlier post where someone called you pretentious then know that its because your English isn't that good yet.
There isn't anything wrong with imitating or trying to write dramatically; I prefer those ones over the barebone myself.
But if you wish to exhibit style, you require knowledge, which requires time and toil. So I suppose, you should read more good books.

And also, I beseech you to resize your signature. It takes a quarter of my monitor. Thanks.
Oh no, that's unrelated, English is my native language, and my best subject; The syle of my blurb was an educated choice, and preference.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Over the time I've been publishing my stories (a bit less than half a year) I already developed a sort of indifference to criticism. I'm not saying I don't care about it, but the few I receive that are legitimate opinions (and not someone being a dick) I think through and see what can I do better basing on them. I'm generally in worse mood if I get a lot of criticism, but that's not sky falling down and it happens.

Though large reason for that is the fact that I mostly know what my story lacks. When someone points out something I didn't even notice before, then I can get real grumpy.

ModernGold7ne

That fly you can't swat.
Over the time I've been publishing my stories (a bit less than half a year) I already developed a sort of indifference to criticism. I'm not saying I don't care about it, but the few I receive that are legitimate opinions (and not someone being a dick) I think through and see what can I do better basing on them. I'm generally in worse mood if I get a lot of criticism, but that's not sky falling down and it happens.

Though large reason for that is the fact that I mostly know what my story lacks. When someone points out something I didn't even notice before, then I can get real grumpy.
Somewhat relatable, like I find it easier to ignore 0.5 ratings on royalroad because of the many positive reviews that enforced that my story is doing well,

D

Deleted member 54065

Depends on the quality and aim of criticism.

Most of the criticisms I received here and in Royal Road complained about my MC's apparent 'beta'-ness, which is based on my plans for him to grow as the story progressed (and his personality as well; I risked giving him one to avoid generic isekai MCs). Or some reader who's pushing me to change the word I've written to what he thinks is better (though I really intended it to be like that). Or some reader who kept on complaining, "Where's the seggs?" (Realizing how most readers of SH love smut, I came to an understanding that I won't receive a good feedback here.) So, I threw all those criticisms away as 'worthless'.

I received negative criticisms on other sites too, but those are for improving the work, since the reader invested a lot in my stories. Those are the criticisms I take seriously.

Edit: I also encountered a nitpicker on WebNovel (from Jamaica), which I really took time to answer each and every of his concerns. In the end, he realized he's making an idiot of himself, and he quietly withdrew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aaqil

Cookies!
I eat that stuff like I eat dry rice, by reading it while drinking a soda.

Bonus

I don't mind criticism because it helps me know if something is wrong.
I do not understand how you can eat dry rice with soda, or anything with soda, :blob_hmm_two: :blob_hmm_two: :blob_hmm_two: :blob_hmm_two: :blob_hmm_two: :blob_hmm_two: :blob_cookie:
Pretty bad. I show up to feedback threads acting like I can take the hurt but in reality I get scared to even open the notification when they do reply :blob_pat_sad:
aaqilPat.png

J_Chemist

With a knife to a fishing line and the catch on the end of the line is whether or not I care about it.

If it's useful and helps my story, I take it seriously and reel it in. If it's complaining or someone trying to flex, I cut the line.

EternalSunset0

Depends on how it's being said or how harsh it is. I typically take criticism well as long as it's balanced or delivered in a more "backhanded" (for lack of better term) way. There's a difference between "this is downright awful" to "I think this isn't good at all." Or a whole tirade versus "this really could use some work." Or "these characters are awful and I hate them" against "I don't like them because I can't care about them."

You get the picture.

The former I don't like and actually demotivates me or gets me "then don't read" type of defensive, the latter I really like, especially if it comes with a whole explanation on what parts the person doesn't like, which helps me see if it's a negotiable or not, which I'll then work on and adjust.