How to write about the world

TotallyHuman

I've been reading a novel called The Terror Radio Broadcast. The author does a very good thing in trusting his readers to not be stupid enough to need to have everything spelled out for them. So having it all worked out behind the scenes and just showing it, hoping that your readers won't feel lost is one way to do it.

Dieter

the Writer
You should have a note aside where you dump any lore you write in. When you do a second draft, you can plan it out.

Love4NovelGuy

It’s about the perspective you see your story.

If you see writing as giving information the reader processes into a story, then it becomes like that.

See the fiction more like a ‘story’ with ups and downs, then you’ll find out that some things are easier shown.

At least, that’s just a thought.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Jump straight into the action and reveal the world as needed.

LilRora

Mostly formless
Probably the best way (according to my experience) is to put small bits and pieces into dialogues and other events, which gives readers an idea of the world, and explain things in detail as they become relevant.

For example, even if the characters should have known about a certain place beforehand, they didn't have any use for this knowledge. Instead, when they get to know they need to go there, you give an idea of this place in the dialogue, maybe with some additional explanation in form of character's thoughts. The detailed description should be given only when they actually are at this place.

This, of course, will not always be the best way. There are some places you can mention a lot, but don't describe at all, for example if you want a generally feared place or if the place is so well known everyone assumes it doesn't warrant an explanation.

IshiharaNiaoka

I've been reading a novel called The Terror Radio Broadcast. The author does a very good thing in trusting his readers to not be stupid enough to need to have everything spelled out for them. So having it all worked out behind the scenes and just showing it, hoping that your readers won't feel lost is one way to do it.
Thanks
Probably the best way (according to my experience) is to put small bits and pieces into dialogues and other events, which gives readers an idea of the world, and explain things in detail as they become relevant.

For example, even if the characters should have known about a certain place beforehand, they didn't have any use for this knowledge. Instead, when they get to know they need to go there, you give an idea of this place in the dialogue, maybe with some additional explanation in form of character's thoughts. The detailed description should be given only when they actually are at this place.

This, of course, will not always be the best way. There are some places you can mention a lot, but don't describe at all, for example if you want a generally feared place or if the place is so well known everyone assumes it doesn't warrant an explanation.
Cool I shall try

BVarnell89

How can I write about my world without making it sounds info dumpy
There's a lot of different ways to do it. I recommend doing the following:

1. Use snappy dialogue between the characters.
-Example: Have one of your characters tell a story that ties into the history of your world.
2. Describe the world as seen through the eyes of your protagonist.
-Example: Describe buildings, food, and what sort of fashion people wear, but do so through your protagonist's eyes so it feels natural.
3. Sprinkle lore in-between the plot.
-Example: Writing about how magic or money works when the character is about to use a spell for the first time or is buying something.
4. Trust that your audience is smart enough to figure things out without being spoonfed everything.
-There's no example here. Just don't treat your audience like they are dumb.

udin-san

Do you have an example of how you usually do it? I want to take a look at it.