How do other sci-fi authors gain readers?

Menilik

I've been posting chapters on Royal Road, Scribblehub, and HFY (Reddit).

I find the trickle of new readers to be good. But I was wondering if any other authors out there have tips for gaining readers? Like my mum told me my story was good. But I don't think WOM is going to snowball into a large reader base.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

I find the trickle of new readers to be good. But I was wondering if any other authors out there have tips for gaining readers? Like my mum told me my story was good. But I don't think WOM is going to snowball into a large reader base.
Good thumbnail

I think no matter genre you are on, the most important thing is being consistent.
I personally won't read novels that only has so few chapters unless I'm reading smutt.
As long as you have decent writing skills, then all you need to do is be consistent, have a lot of chapters that readers can spend time with, cause readers can easily switch or find another novel they can read if the update is slow or if the novel has too few chapters losing their interest in your novel.

Menilik

I think no matter genre you are on, the most important thing is being consistent.
I personally won't read novels that only has so few chapters unless I'm reading smutt.
As long as you have decent writing skills, then all you need to do is be consistent, have a lot of chapters that readers can spend time with, cause readers can easily switch or find another novel they can read if the update is slow or if the novel has too few chapters.
Is there a way to convey that mine is all fully written? Like I’m just posting a book that’s already written so want to give people confidence that I’m not going to stop half way through.

ARedFox

Is there a way to convey that mine is all fully written? Like I’m just posting a book that’s already written so want to give people confidence that I’m not going to stop half way through.
Write it in the description somewhere.

Beyond the amazing tips above consider more platforms. RR and scribblehub are great, but they are only 2 of many. Try to have a main site (or a few) and link it in the description or mention it if they ban links. Maybe you post 1-2 chapters more there for incentive. Main sites are to try to avoid getting overwhelmed and spending more time than you should on reading and replying. Easier to have interactions in only a few places.

If you decide to post on more sites, try this and this, although I am sure you can find or ask for more. Keep in mind some like A03 are more for fan fiction but there are plenty of non fan fiction stories there. Read the site rules to be sure. And do keep in mind those sites might not get you anything and you may just end up wasting time. There is a reason not everyone does it and some sites will make it more of a pain to post on multiple sites or not promote you if you do so.

Tsuru

Want to hear the truth ?

Go read more chinese and jp novels, and study the current state of nowadays readers

Switch your cover first
Internet is now a mess unlike years ago. Most people grew up and internet is full of "zoomers", often them having a poor IQ.
IRL not sure if you know, teenagers now all accept animes unlike before "it is for degenerates", look at "shipcore" with the anime cover, it is on main page in rankings. [EDIT : Shipcore is a great series and with a great cover. I am a anime-lover myself and i am not bashing anime culture]
Reasoning analogy : Why would a teen be attracted to a cover of a random spaceship when 1) not interested in space 2) nothing special to the spaceship when other novel have a spaceships with big GUNS exploding an enemy ? 3) a gorgeous girl is better than a spaceship, because most readers are males AND even women prefer talking a beautiful woman compared to a unattractive man

Next, write a very interesting summary, the kind of eye-catching
Related to first point, readers now have too much FREE CONTENT available. Before there was just a few games, and dozens of mangas or novels. But NOW ? You got hundreds of free games OR paid games where you can......... , mangas = you dont even have enough time to finish the long list that accumulate, and novels, oh boi, english ones are enough to make you busy, but you take into account the chinese/jp ones than you are busy for years, BUT THEN it's even crazier because people now read MTL (machine translation) and go to the raws with THOUSANDS of novels full of THOUSAND CHAPTERS
One of my chinese favorite author said :
[[[Now readers are bad quality. They drop any series for any small reason. Also you can't even write a not handsome MC anymore or FL not being gorgeous. The old masterpieces are lucky, bc if they appeared nowadays they would flop easily. Especially some specific ones. Because green-hate/rape is a big taboo now.]]]

Title
Now it's mainstream to write the title AND/or summary with spoilers
Just like for cover, people don't have time to guess your plot and your mysterious summary.
AND they got HUNDREDS of novels to pick in the list. AND they surf far too fast on internet to pay attention to non-eyecatching things
Now authors beside already-famous ones don't use "poetic" titles/summary
Analogy : Which is more attractive for a teen : "The wind is surging" OR "I learned to manipulate wind and became the most mysterious assassin"

Third : thriller, serious-english plot, is "hasbeen"

Now it's more about coolness, epicness, comedy, vanilla, romance, etc
Before there was NTR-boom in doujins but now it's vanilla-boom. Also if you check, lot of novels prefer the "mc is op easily" compared to "grow slowly". Not that it started the genre, but Onepunch-man basically explain that OPness is attractive.
Readers have not enough time to wait for the MC doing 3 full arcs of plot where he finally get his full gear.
and anime-culture is far too popular globally
See old animes doing cliche of otaku-guy is alone in corner and hiding hobby ? Now the whole jp class probably watch animes (but still lot of douches)
Also you know Warhammer IP ? If we ignore the recent very popular trailer of a new Warhammer game, how many fans do you think like it vs the ones that like animes ?
And gears of war ? If you give choice of picking Gears of War vs Zelda breath of the wild, to all teens in the world, which would win in your oppinion ? Not that it's not attractive, but anime-culture invaded everywhere.

TIME. People's time is limited and unlike before, time is even more precious
Now people got smartphone. Even the time in the toilet or waiting in the bus, can be occupied with entertainment.
Also unlike before, TIME is precious. For 5min, people could do a quick game, or read a fast-food novel where MC killed hundreds a double-hand sword, or explode battleships at the dozen. In 20min, they could have watched dozens of videos that are funny.
LoL big long matches are now less popular compared to URF, because they are freaking too long.
TikTok showed the road of "condensed time". If you look at some youtube videos, they get far less views and comments compared to the version posted on YOUTUBE-SHORTS. Heck, lot people like watching "nutshell/recap" and not whole movies.
Even jp authors now do popular "1 page = 2 images" mini-mangas on twitter
Now forums are far less populated, especially bc of "discord" app. And most zoomers (and coomers) hate long paragraphs.

Last : now people want relaxation or excitement
Smut is far more popular
vs SFW. Teens are a bunch of hormones. Even girls. Reddit is proof.
Also it's why "fast-food" novels are more popular. Why care of a no-powers dude that go a haunted mansion and searching, when you could use this time to read a necromancer MC use an unkillable zombie army to destroy a city.
But there are also the older audience that want to MC living slowly in the countryside or inventing stuff or dating sweetly peacefully
Now shitty love-triangle romance lose in popularity compared to MC-FL dating or married from ch1.
And the very dumb MCs appear less often

If before people wrote their novels far more seriously, now it's more about catching popularity, even if they must not write what they like.
If before there was Mushoku tensei (the anime only now but novel is the ancestor of isekai-trend) with quality, now you see dozens of
If you check pixiv, most freelance jp artists focus on popular theme or the anime currently popular in the season (spy x family for example or genshin)
Also english novels are far less attractive than all existing jp/chinese/KR novels
AND scribblehub is just one among many english websites

Last edited:

Menilik

Write it in the description somewhere.

Beyond the amazing tips above consider more platforms. RR and scribblehub are great, but they are only 2 of many. Try to have a main site (or a few) and link it in the description or mention it if they ban links. Maybe you post 1-2 chapters more there for incentive. Main sites are to try to avoid getting overwhelmed and spending more time than you should on reading and replying. Easier to have interactions in only a few places.

If you decide to post on more sites, try this and this, although I am sure you can find or ask for more. Keep in mind some like A03 are more for fan fiction but there are plenty of non fan fiction stories there. Read the site rules to be sure. And do keep in mind those sites might not get you anything and you may just end up wasting time. There is a reason not everyone does it and some sites will make it more of a pain to post on multiple sites or not promote you if you do so.
I was thinking of posting on a few other websites. But you're right there are a ton of them. I had 'Spacebattles' on my list.

I did hear it's best to post every day. So I thought I might wait until next year and then post for like 2 months in a row on some of those sites.

Le_ther

I find the trickle of new readers to be good. But I was wondering if any other authors out there have tips for gaining readers? Like my mum told me my story was good. But I don't think WOM is going to snowball into a large reader base
It morally depends on how interesting your premise, thumbnail, prologue/beginning chapters, and title.

This is bias but I really do take a novel depending on it's first look than reading till it gets good

Well I checked your numbers and for only having a couple of chapters, I'd say you are doing very well. you have quite a lot of views, readers and in general you are doing pretty well number wise

Erios909

My cover got hated on. :blob_teary:

Snusmumriken

Vagabond and traveller
The first thing that pops out to me is the inconsistency of releases.

Since you have the book fully written, my recommendation would be to post it every other day to maximise the reach on SH itself. A lot of story discovery on SH happens in the story finder (and trending obviously but if you are hitting trending you don't really need beginner advises as much) where potential readers mostly search by Tags and Genres and they sort the novels either by page views or by recent releases.

This is where consistent posting shines. As long as your story isn't filled with extremely popular tags like action, your story will stay on the first page of a specific tag search for about a day. Posting a chapter every other day would maximise that visibility (and somewhat boost your trending numbers) while giving you longer stretch of posting time.

Once you have that, make sure that your tags are up to par. Popular tags might bring higher visibility but lower engagement, while specific tags tend to bring dedicated readers but at a lower rate.

Lastly, remember that some sites simply don't have enough audience looking for certain stories. You have a moderate to good cover, a rather generic title (would personally recommend deleting tags from it however) and a descriptive synopsis. But AFAIK SH isn't well known for sci-fi novels so I am not sure how many readers here actively looking for stories like that.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I just join random discords and type RAPE over and over. It might tank your story rating, but damn does it attract readers. It's like the magic phrase for internet authors.