Recommendations Stories where the protagonist dies by the end of the story.

OP1000

I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some good stories where the protagonist of a story dies at the end. I know I am spoiling the ending for the stories you may recommend to me given the title, but even if that is the case, there are other things that I can look forward to, so no spoilers besides the fact that the protagonist dies in the end.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some good stories where the protagonist of a story dies at the end. I know I am spoiling the ending for the stories you may recommend to me given the title, but even if that is the case, there are other things that I can look forward to, so no spoilers besides the fact that the protagonist dies in the end.
Dragon ball gt

Zmpoint

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures Part 1

LilRora

Mostly formless
We're Not So Different, You And I, as long as you don't mind some trangender themes or girl's love. Those are not the main focus of the story though, so even if you're not good with them you might still enjoy it. It's one of the best stories I've read.

I'd give one more if I remebered the title, but I don't.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I can recommend one but It's not completely finished yet so it would be a big spoiler if I said it. It should be completed in a couple months.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Does it have to be stories where the MC stays dead? Quite a few stories like killing the MC or a major character during the ending and having them come back at the very last moment

SMILEME

Attack on titan, EREN Yeager died at the end and was killed my his lover

Tsuru

Mushoku Tensei
^Yep. Old age
The series that lighted the fire for the trend of jp-isekai we all see today

Le_ther

I am legend.

basically the guy was guilty at the end and was currently being judge by the new species. In the book he dies full of regret as far as I know. /SPOILER]

OP1000

Does it have to be stories where the MC stays dead? Quite a few stories like killing the MC or a major character during the ending and having them come back at the very last moment
Yes, the MC should stay dead by the end of the story.

ACertainPassingUser

Gundam 0079 -> Zeta Gundam -> Char's Counterattack
-> the whole three series started with rivalry between Armuro and Char, they both die at the last film since one series isn't enough to end their journey

Zeta Gundam
-> Even though Camille, the protagonist doesn't die, this story still has a bad ending comparable to those who died. the protagonist fail to survive before the war even ends.

Idk if you want pure "dead" as the protagonist turned into corpse. But the Camille we knew is as Good as dead since his mind as been fucked up and destroyed by his enemy.

Even if he did recover as his mind finally able to talk and walk, the old Camille with his memories and personality is simply gone. It's pretty much replaced with someone new.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
-> The whole struggle of the Rebel against the government really show how strong is protagonist and it still shows the flaws of their methods too

The reckless protagonist died recklessly too.

Well, most Gundam have bittersweet ending and rarely bad ending where the MC is dead/something as worse happened.

But there's more bad ending than good ending in Gundam.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
desert punk

ps. who already watched shhhhhhhh

Jemini

Mushoku Tensei
^Yep. Old age
The series that lighted the fire for the trend of jp-isekai we all see today
Dang it. Somebody stole mine already.

Do like the fact that you correctly stated that it's the one that "lit the fire for the isekai trend" instead of calling it the original isekai as so many people had incorrectly called it. It's just a series that did isekai so damn well that it turned the previously overlooked genre into one of the biggest things in the entirety of all fantasy narratives across the board.

I think my favorite part about MT is that... you know how in most stories where the hero is fighting the demon lord, and in order to get the strength they need to fight the demon lord they have to rely on knowledge from the past and they keep on and keep on discovering that all the best creations that lead to their eventual victory were all created by the same wizard some hundred or so years in the past?

Well, Rudeus IS that wizard who did everything to path the way for the future hero. And then he dies before the demon lord ever revives. Also, the reader is never told how the future struggle against the demon king goes. The entire story is all just Rudeus's early life in the first half of the story, and then him creating the tools of the future for future generations to use in the second half of the story. It's all about how the small struggles we face now are actually of vital importance to the larger struggles that will be faced by future generations.

Last edited: