Is it in bad taste to use historical figures in an isekai?

daroot1998

Finally wanted to write my first story as I feel I got a pretty good idea, but the thought above keeps bumming me out about it.

While I would agree using any of the mustache men from the 20th century would definitely be in bad taste( not planning on it lol), would any of the other ruthless leaders of the ancient and medieval eras be in bad taste as well?

While I plan for my story to be 100% a parody, it's still a thought I have, especially since I haven't seen anyone write a story like that I dunno. Maybe someone from the time period would be a better idea instead?

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Why not? I had historical figures in my portal fantasy story so it should be fine. Can't think of any historical figures being in bad taste so long as you can make it believable and a part of the plots progression. The anime Drifters even has Hitler as one of the shows main plot progressors without him being portrayed in a good way. Any historical person can be in good taste if you use them well.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Read a few chapters of a story about Alexander the Great transmigrating to a world of magic, gaining electric and flame powers, and riding some mythical horse while challenging wars across the fantasy world.

I don't see anything wrong with it. You need to educate these centennials nowadays, and the only way they seem captivated is with flashy scenes and epic explosions. Might as well do that, and use a prominent figure from the 1600s.

LilRora

Mostly formless
As long as it's intended to be a parody and it's relatively clear it's one, then there should be no problems. If it was someone from present day, then you'd have people banging to your door (hopefully only figuratively), but using a deceased historical figure, as long as it's not blatantly depreciating or disrespectful to the person, is completely fine.

D

Deleted member 54065

I'm using Gaius Julius Caesar as one of my villains in my isekai story, and so far, my readers have no issue with him. We know how he treated Gauls before.

Gaius Julius in my novel is using laptop, drinks beer and in his usual megalomaniac self.

Also, Kouta Hirano used Jesus of Nazareth as one of the villains in his manga, Drifters.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
The further you go back the less people will care about it imo. Time distorts a lot of things and just look at how many interpretations the Japanese have about Oda Nobunaga. Ranging from a busty, lusty warrior girl from visual novels to saiyan-like super warrior in some anime. Go wild with it.

SailusGebel

Would you want to expand on some of your reasoning? So I know what I should avoid :)
I don't believe that historical figures will be used properly, and you know the said historical figure well enough. Also, it's a cheap trick.

Theirl

SHHS detainee no. 0004
I'm using Gaius Julius Caesar as one of my villains in my isekai story, and so far, my readers have no issue with him. We know how he treated Gauls before.

Gaius Julius in my novel is using laptop, drinks beer and in his usual megalomaniac self.

Also, Kouta Hirano used Jesus of Nazareth as one of the villains in his manga, Drifters.
bad ass jesus

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
It is your story. Depending on who you parody you are going to piss people off - but that kind of is expected when you are talking about history, period(ha).

Arkus86

It's not to my personal taste, but I would says as long as you portray them properly as the historical figure of their time, or otherwise make clear the character is a parody or only loosely based on the original, go ahead.

Paul_Tromba

That still isn't confirmed because the manga comes out at a snails pace. Though it is the most plausible theory.

Armorien

I don't get why people say it might be in bad taste. As long as it's interesting and you do it well, I don't see why not. Plenty of works use historical characters well. But yes, the further back you go, the less likely people will have a problem with it, that's for sure. I'd say to go for it!

NotOriginal

Do what you want so long as it is still somewhat rooted in the figures lore, but uh I would very much not include religious figures. I am sure everyone could see the comments already when you include a religious figure.
Also, hey have you heard of the Fate Series? it's a Isekai series that has historical figures genderbent... like a lot of them.

D

Deleted member 54065

That still isn't confirmed because the manga comes out at a snails pace. Though it is the most plausible theory.
Well true, but knowing Hirano's atheism and fascination (sardonic) with Christianity, it's highly plausible that guy is his version of Jesus of Nazareth.

Paul_Tromba

Well true, but knowing Hirano's atheism and fascination (sardonic) with Christianity, it's highly plausible that guy is his version of Jesus of Nazareth.
That's why it's the best plausible theory.