Need Patreon advice!

expentio

So, I'm thinking about starting a Patreon page. It's not like I'm in dire need of money, but it seems like a waste not to try at least. The problem is, I'm utterly overwhelmed by this topic. I'm not sure what would be appropriate. I don't want to ask for too much. While I think I could post some extra chapters as a motivation I have no idea how to present them there. What kind of presentation would readers expect? In what way should I even post them? Do I have to copy-paste the around 350 chapters I already posted earlier in my stories on SH or just new ones? How can I make a suitable distinction? And on what basis am I even going to make all of this work? All I have are my stories, which are somewhat well-received, and minor abilities to navigate websites. Already the registration on Patreon and getting Paypal was a huge and very difficult step for me. So if anything I would need very minute step-by-step explanations.

MrPopocap

I was in the same situation as you until yesterday, when I just decided to make my Patreon.

My advice is to start small, with a donation of 1 dollar with advantages like 1 chapter earlier, and when you increase the amount remember to increase the benefits, like a title in discord, thank the person in the next chapter, etc.

Now, in relation to posting the chapters there, do as you do here. Just post them, but remember to put restrictions, like if you don't want people with 1 dollar donation to see five chapters ahead, you can manage that in the Patreon settings, which leads me to the next advice.

Watch some videos on how to work on Patreon, that's what I did, but my page there is still half good, but hey, what matters is that I made the page, right?

Anyway, good luck and keep the good work!!:blob_cookie::blob_cookie:

Noel_Elitia

well just start with the process to design your page ands how patreon asks you to do so, and the best way to decide on everything is try visiting many patreon creator accounts. that's what i did to know what people were posting in premium contents about tier and i don't think you need to upload your previous chapters just start from the new one. another thing can be you can directly ask your readers what they would like to see in your patron account in your chapters. hope this helps.

Last edited:

J_Chemist

Understand that once you start a patreon and people start giving you money, writing turns from a Hobby to a Job. People are actively paying you for content/a product. It is your obligation as the person selling said content/product to regularly meet the goals you've promised.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Understand that once you start a patreon and people start giving you money, writing turns from a Hobby to a Job. People are actively paying you for content/a product. It is your obligation as the person selling said content/product to regularly meet the goals you've promised.
Having said that, you can absolutely get away with posting consistently for 2 years, accumulate a sizable monthly 3-figure income, and suddenly ghost everybody. That way you can siphon the few remaining dozens who forgot to unsubscribe and have steady free money for the next six months.

Premier

If you don't want to repost all the ones you did, tag your series posts and for the first one drop links to where they can read all the public ones.