Recommend some Music

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
What songs have you been listening to lately that really sticks with you or you just really like?

Recently, I tried listening to Hardy Styles' Fine Line album and FINNEAS' songs. They are both great imo.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Nights of Azure ost. It sounds good and is from a yuri game to boot, so win win.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
Transistor and/or Bastion soundtrack? Not sure if that would be your type but I remember having those two on loop at one time in my life.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Transistor and/or Bastion soundtrack? Not sure if that would be your type but I remember having those two on loop at one time in my life.
My music taste is pretty broad, I'll try it out.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

A Town with An Ocean View is Studio Ghibli magic at its peak.

The song isn't something heavy or amazing or tear-summoning. Yet it carries consistency and has great pacing throughout. Every section of the song introduces new instruments/elements into the child-like rhythm. You've got piccolo's, you've got cymbals, you've got violins, you've got that blow horn thing that's smaller than a saxophone but bigger than a trumpet. You've got Joe Hisashi, the man responsible for the entirety of Studio Ghibli's audio catalogue.

It's magical. It's nothing that'd make the history books but it's the one that makes the pages. It's just a song in the background of a movie that not only does its job but also proves to be a good listen on the side; something not even the lo-fi beats that you listen while you do your homework can achieve.

BenJepheneT

Let Her Dance is something of a positive break up song. It isn't something to drown your sadness in, but rather a positive shine of a light. I'm not gonna cry for you all night long. I'm not gonna toaster bathtub myself because I miss your smile. I'm gonna watch you dance with your new love affair to our favourite song and I will watch and wait, wait for the day I do the same to you.

But for now, I let you dance. Go on now, dance all night long.

It's also the epilogue soundtrack from Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox and to be honest, nothing tops that work till' today, excluding The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Fucking watch it, do yourself a favor, please.

BenJepheneT

Safe and Sound by Capital Cities is a 2013-hit song that went under the radar way too quick for its own good.

It has silly beats, it has encore echoes, it has that synthetic techno trumpet you don't often hear and wonder why because it's so fucking awesome. Guess what, this song has all that, plus gay rattlesnakes.

It has a fucking line that goes like this:
Even if we're six feet underground
I know that we'll be safe and sound

It's a song about love, but it's not all "about me, about you". It's simply a feel-good song about how as long we have each other, shit's good. It's silly and sweet. It's 'swilly'.

We need more songs about gay rattlesnakes tbh

BenJepheneT

Johnny B. Goode by Chuck Berry is one of history's earliest chart-topping rock song, sung by a black Stevie Wonder looking dude in an era where Stevie Wonder is probably being beat up by his father and his white pals and his father again.

The song's greatest strength is undoubtedly it's guitar work. One of Chuck Berry's best solo can be found in this one simple tune about a guy named Johnny who just wanna hit the big time and the music really sells the idea of a young man looking for recognition.

The music doesn't overplay itself with over-the-top riffs nor does it have downplayed moments where you feel like snoring through the lyrics. Throughout the 3 minutes you spend on the song, Chuck Berry just takes you on this light-hearted, catchy ride through the 50s with a sustained thrill of air-guitar moments that ends on nothing more than a simple chord.

It is a prime example of doing a hit song right and not drowning a stroke of genius with more watered-down ideas, like how some artists out there come up with some insanely catchy tunes only to be fucking ruined by electro-collab-lyrical nonsense. (Betty Boop by Charlie Puth is a good example of this).

Overall, though the olden theme might put some off, this is something worth shaking your head off pills to.

BenJepheneT

There's a theory that Eurobeat fits Initial D so well because it adhere to the rule of downtime in music while keeping it high note. Eurobeat usually has base rhythm that are fast, complex and catchy to boot.

But what if you're composing for a song that's 100% action with no downtime whatsoever? What if it's a constant battle up and down with practically no place to catch your breath?

In Initial D, the downtimes are the straights the proceeds the corners where the action happen.

In Wangan Midnight, the action is always on the straights. And at the corners. And on the road. As long as the car sticks to the asphalt, it's always high octane action all the time.

So how are you gonna compose a song for such an action?

You do this.

The song starts of fast but simple. It has the strums and the little head twitching beats that is evident to a lot of music.

Then when the song kicks, the magic comes. The song has this ingenious idea to incorporate three different rhythm and beats to the music. Every time a new rhythm slots in, it serves as a sort of 'downtime' as the listener slowly gets used to the new audio stimuli. Then as the rhythm swells, you realize the fast paced music hasn't changed, and it's a continuous climax althroughout.

It's a really hit and miss if you're not a fan of the Wangan franchise, or if you have no interest in automotive. But if you're willing to give it a shot, by all means, go for it

tak

...i just put on an online music radio (one that only plays music). I'll waste too kuch time choosing the music i wanna listen.

Listen on repeat... Depends on what fandom i'm into at that time, i listen to the music because fan animations or fan-made music. Or meme songs
...what i play the most at work is hone by michael bubble and i sing with all my heart at the "let me go home" part, quietly cause I don't wanna get fired

BenJepheneT

Elegia by New Order is fucken dark, bro. It's the sort of music emo 13 year olds would play in their earphones as they white eye stare solemnly at the collection of MCR albums in the cash-and-carry album store.

But look away from the stereotype and you'll find a dark, oppressive music with a consistent tone that carries throughout its 17 (yes, seventeen) minute runtime.

The song, in my head, brings out a feeling akin to regret. The guitar strums are deep and low and adds weight to the song. But behind the guitar is the base rhythm where the magic happens. Little light 'tings' and 'blings' that make up the background noise perfectly encapsulates the guitar while the guitar serves to enhance the background music as well.

It's a mutual understanding of two rhythm that's pretty fucken genius to me. The ending is a huge scale, damn near Hans Zimmer swell that's small in comparison but serves the song better than any rhythm or climax could achieve. It's basically a twisted version of the chorus but with more crazy electric guitars that don't make sense, making up to an explosive "madness" that precedes the "solemn", "dark" rhythm of the past 15 minutes.

Some songs try to do it with a bass drop, or a sudden change of instrumentals. New Order however, understands the atmosphere and the tone the song strikes and aims to complete the music as a whole instead of just giving it a "fuck it" ending most songs give to make it memorable (for all the wrong reasons).

But this isn't the best song by New Order.

The next one is.

BenJepheneT

what i play the most at work is hone by michael bubble and i sing with all my heart at the "let me go home" part, quietly cause I don't wanna get fired
oh let me go hoooooOOOOOOOOOOO-

Reactions: tak

BenJepheneT

Welcome to New Order's contribution to the 80s, which is the 80s itself.

You might've heard this from the new Wonder Woman trailer. But what I'm saying here is, this is the superior, OG version.

The song itself is trippy. It uses a shit ton of electric instruments and adhers to the general sense of rhythm as well as the Italian adhers to loyalty in world war dos.

What this song does best is carrying a consistent tone and sense throughout its 7 minute runtime. That is the song's biggest strength. it doesn't try to do anything big or massive. It sets out to do what it does, and it excels in it. You might think "won't it make the song boring?". That wouldn't be the case if the song set out to be 'innovative' from the first place. To make words short, you'll come out of this song surprised, satisfied and sexy.

Though it's also a very big hit or miss. As it follows consistently through its own rhythm, there's not much change in the music. Which means it's no Bohemian Rhapsody, where it catches both slow and fast paces in one go. If you hate it, you'll definitely stay hating it.

Give it a shot. Do yourself a favour.

BenJepheneT

I'm stopping here cause any more and it'll probably warrant a spam warning

Blitz

『⛰Ping-Pong Cat❄️』『⚡️New member⚡️』
Currently this and a couple others by the artist

Oh and tons and tons of Eurobeat

Last edited:

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
just some good ol' fashiond rock