Implemented Story relationships

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
When adding a story relationships on one story (example: in story A I add that story B is in a shared universe) the relationship should work for both stories (a note that A is in the same universe as B appears for A, so does it appear for B automatically)

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Ah, that would indeed be nice. The only problem might be how to name the relationship since they wouldn't always be the same.
For example, let's say you wrote novel A. Afterward, you start a second project novel B which is the prequel of A. If you out in that relationship, would novel A be the sequel to B? But that would make it seem like volumes in the same series which would not necessarily be the case.
Another example might be spin-offs. If C is a spin-off of A, I don't think it'd hold true that A is a spin-off of C as well since A would be the source material but not vice versa.

I'm not sure how to tackle this but maybe it would be possible to get a pop-up that asks you whether you want to implement the same relationship for story B, select another or not at all? But maybe that would be difficult to implement.

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
When adding a story relationships on one story (example: in story A I add that story B is in a shared universe) the relationship should work for both stories (a note that A is in the same universe as B appears for A, so does it appear for B automatically)
Is what you're talking about different from this?

Set Relationship Between Series - You can set relationships (Adapted From, Prequel, Sequel, Side Story, Spin-Off, Alternative Story and Shared Universe) between the novels that you've written. If you want to see an example, click here and scroll down to "Related Series".

Moshi

Ah, that would indeed be nice. The only problem might be how to name the relationship since they wouldn't always be the same.
For example, let's say you wrote novel A. Afterward, you start a second project novel B which is the prequel of A. If you out in that relationship, would novel A be the sequel to B? But that would make it seem like volumes in the same series which would not necessarily be the case.
Another example might be spin-offs. If C is a spin-off of A, I don't think it'd hold true that A is a spin-off of C as well since A would be the source material but not vice versa.

I'm not sure how to tackle this but maybe it would be possible to get a pop-up that asks you whether you want to implement the same relationship for story B, select another or not at all? But maybe that would be difficult to implement.

Maybe instead of B - prequel, A - sequel, it would be B - prequel, A - main story and C - spin-off, A - adapted from?

Your suggestion is probably better though, maybe just have default complement relationships for each relationship, and have a popup for changing it?

yansusustories

Maybe instead of B - prequel, A - sequel, it would be B - prequel, A - main story and C - spin-off, A - adapted from?

Your suggestion is probably better though, maybe just have default complement relationships for each relationship, and have a popup for changing it?
I do think there are two parts about this: The actual implementation of how to make both stories reflect the relationship and then which relationships to use. I do like the idea of having a status of 'main story'. I think that would fit the scenario I described. So maybe we'd need that as an additional relationship?

I'm actually always slightly confused with the relationships, especially 'adapted from'. It might be what is meant with 'main story' but I wouldn't know on which story to add that. Like, would A get the 'adapted from' relationship if C is the spin-off? :blob_hmm_two:

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
I'm actually always slightly confused with the relationships, especially 'adapted from'. It might be what is meant with 'main story' but I wouldn't know on which story to add that. Like, would A get the 'adapted from' relationship if C is the spin-off? :blob_hmm_two:
'Adapted from' usually means you're writing something in your own way based on resources stemming from another story or stories. So, technically, it's not in the same world. It's a whole different story but with similar elements from another story you saw before. However, in regards to film, when you say 'adapted from' it usually means it's from a different medium transferred to another (like a book to movie). Does that make sense?

FYI, that's how I understood the whole 'adapted from' statement. Not sure if others understand it differently.

tak

The way i understand "adapted from" is like.... AU.
Example:
  1. You write a novel where MC reincarnates to a baby in a otome game
  2. What if... MC soul enter the story not when MC was a baby, but a teenager, right when the otome game starts?

anshbansal92

I think it is called "Fan Fiction"? I believe that is the established term which is used in literature.

yansusustories

I think it is called "Fan Fiction"? I believe that is the established term which is used in literature.
But wouldn't 'fan fiction' be a tag on SH instead of a story relationship? Since you can only input relationships for your own stories. But are we actually still talking about the same thing? :blob_sweat: I feel like we might be going off-topic already ...

anshbansal92

One way to tackle it would be simply having a mapping which can be added to over time.

On the add/edit story relationship page there can be multiple rows (one row for each story)

Each row has
  • A dropdown/textbox to select the story [Mandatory Field]
  • Dropdown to select what this story is to that story [Mandatory Field]
  • Checkbox to show if want to add a relationship to other side [By default unchecked]
  • A dropdown to select what that story is to this story. If this checkbox is checked then this row shows up in the add/edit story relationship page of the other story also. Having a default complement relationship would make it easier to manage. [Only enabled if the checbox above is checked]
The dropdown for story relationship can be added to over time.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Dude I just want a story relationship that automatically applies to both page.

Tony

Staff member

Is what you're talking about different from this?
Yes. When you set a relationship between stories on one's story's page, it doesn't reflect on the other

I do think there are two parts about this: The actual implementation of how to make both stories reflect the relationship and then which relationships to use. I do like the idea of having a status of 'main story'. I think that would fit the scenario I described. So maybe we'd need that as an additional relationship?

'Adapted from' usually means you're writing something in your own way based on resources stemming from another story or stories. So, technically, it's not in the same world. It's a whole different story but with similar elements from another story you saw before. However, in regards to film, when you say 'adapted from' it usually means it's from a different medium transferred to another (like a book to movie). Does that make sense?

FYI, that's how I understood the whole 'adapted from' statement. Not sure if others understand it differently.
The way i understand "adapted from" is like.... AU.
Example:
  1. You write a novel where MC reincarnates to a baby in a otome game
  2. What if... MC soul enter the story not when MC was a baby, but a teenager, right when the otome game starts?
I summarize: We're not really sure what 'adapted from' actually means :blob_sweat:
Dude I just want a story relationship that automatically applies to both page.
Yeah, this thread has gone off topic. I think all OP was asking for is that when a story ("Story A") is given a relationship to another story ("Story B"), that this is automatically set to be mutual, and thus updated and reflected on the page for Story B without having to go and manually set this.

Also, just to put this to rest:
Fanfiction is "transformative work".
Spin-offs can absolutely be considered fiction that is "adapted from" a source, regardless of if you wrote it yourself. It merely means that it is work that is based on a previously existing work. Ex. Stargate: Atlantis was a spin-off series adapted from the show Stargate: SG-1, which was itself adapted from the 1994 movie Stargate.

When I was implementing this feature, I figured the story relationship should automatically apply to both stories if it's applied to one story but for some reason I decided against it and it was definitely a mistake I implemented it that way.

Anyways!!! This feature has been implemented. Once you apply a relationship to one story, it should automatically add it to the other story automatically. It'll work the same way once you delete a relationship. If you delete a relationship from one story, the relationship should get deleted from the other story too.

This is how the feature should work automatically (Current story -> story you're applying the relationship to):
  • Adapted From -> Spin-Off
  • Spin-Off -> Adapted From
  • Prequel -> Sequel
  • Sequel -> Prequel
  • Side Story -> Main Story
  • Main Story -> Side Story
  • Alternate Story -> Alternate Story
  • Shared Universe -> Shared Universe
Please test it out when you're free and let me know if it's working properly. Also, I have no clue why the relationship "Main Story" was missing but it's been added too :sweating_profusely:

yansusustories

Yay! Thanks so much! For the feature and also adding some new relationships :blob_melt: I'd try it out but my relationships were all already set so not sure if that'd screw it up :blob_blank: