tell me about your magic system and I might read it.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [Envy]
Well my explanation is not good, and i haven't introduce it proplely in my story but here goes nothing. it's element base with the normal fire/water/earth/air/wood. Etc But each element have their own personality and emotions

fire: hot-tempered
water:moody/sad
earth:stubborn
air: a airhead
Wood: (haven't got idea for this yet)

.so the user have to be carefull to not let themself be consume by the emotion. Kinda like the jedi in a way.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
In my story magic is referred to as skills by those with the Blessing of the Nexus (basically a System. Only few thousands have this), and magic by those without it (the rest of the world).

There are 3 things that drive magic in mine.

Mana is the driving force for nearly all magic. Even the ones mentioned after will use MP sometimes.
Nex = Energy created by emotions, whether positive or negative. Used for significantly powerful magic/technologies.
Body/Biomass = Uses flesh or aspects of the body to act as a base for magic.

Magic is then broken up into several categories.

Traditional - Magic that can be learned/picked up at any point in one's life so long as they gain an affinity for it (Affinity is basically the ability to use a certain kind of magic).
- Traditional Magic includes elemental magic like fire, water, etc + healing (very rare), summoning, golemancy, etc. Certain objects like crystals can naturally have certain magic attached to them, like fire crystals, ice crystals, etc.

Racial - Magic unique to certain races, like Elves able to commune with flora/fauna, Aquatids (humanoid aqua creatures) able to use magic relative to what marine animal they're based on (like for some reason the humanoid Tube Worms are able to traverse the 4th dimension), or Dragonids (dragon humanoids) are able to breathe fire, harden their bodies, etc.

Original - Magic unique to an individual, usually reserved by the strongest I.e, a character able to create teleporting bullets, and another that can lock anything whether it's physical or metaphysical. Another example is the ability to replicate one's body, at the cost of it slightly mutating from the original. Those with Original magic are usually referred to as Incandescent Colors, like for example the Red Barron known for using a unique kind of fire magic.

Atelier Magic - Magic used by a devoted organization fueled by mostly Nex and/or mana and functions using a technology of their specific Atelier/organization.

Impuritas Magic - Magic used by beings called the Impuritas, and use a mixture of biomass/physical elements and sometimes mana.

Corrupted Magic - Magic used by the main antagonists of the story and the MC after devouring them. Magic uses mana, but generates Nex as this magic is essentially manifested emotions, desires, stories, folklores, fears - anything to do with the nightmares of the mind.

How does magic work?
There are several ways.

1. Intention, focus and a will
- Normal people will spend their entire lives trying to get better at magic, or to manifest an affinity. The better their understanding of a principle i.e fire, the stronger their magic. With pracitice comes improvement over their total mana, and normal people are flexible with how they can use their magic.

2. Invoking (Skills)
- This is mostly used by the Blessed (those with the Systems) who just need to invoke their magic either by yelling or mentally intending to use it. It's streamlined and doesn't require focus at all compared to normal people, but it comes at the cost of themselves never able to learn new things unless the Nexus allows them. Basically, they're extremely limited in their growth, but are exceptionally powerful.

3. Objects
- Certain objects naturally release certain magic. Stoves are made from crystals that erupt with flames when irritated, and fridges with ice crystals.

4. Passives/Abilities
- Basically magic that is on automatically at all times, like the ability to resist injury from all ranged projectiles, or something as small as an iron stomach.

5. Technology
- Reserved for beings called Beholders, harvested from a library stocked with books written in a 56-character code, randomized in 1,000 paged books. Finding a usable book is nigh impossible because it follows the Infinite Monkey Theorem, but when they do, they're rewarded with their one perfect book (their technology).
- Their magic stems from their technology which enables them to dramatically shape the world for better or worse. The Nex requirement is insane, and over time if they don't gain Nex then they will perish alongside their technology.

6. Emotional Heightening/Hysteria/Corruption/Etc
Very, very rarely will magic form as a result of someone losing control over their emotions (i.e, falling into despair, etc). This essentially causes a person to become devoured by their inner, true selves thus creating a Corrupted Persona. Normal Corrupted follow the same principle, but do not stem from people directly, but rather as a result. For example, a feared folklore of an imaginary serial killer told to children as a bed time story may manifest into a real entity, or a stuffed teddy bear symbolising a child's traumatic upbringing may manifest into reality due to these emotions, and begin a rampage of killing parents, or a machine that sings wishing to be noticed stemming from a neglected factory worker.

Last edited:

ShipTeaser

Just go read Syringe's..

That's all you need to do lol...

Nexus Awakened is definitely one of my favourite stories on RR/SH and definitely also one of the most unique in world, premise and system lol

melchi

What is a custom title?
In one fiction it is almost exactly like dungeons and dragons.

In the other one: Cuteness = power :D

MajorKerina

Some spirit entities crave to become more human. Spirits in particular can wield great energies to alter the nature of reality. The magic system is tied to potent emotions.

Singing joyously can manipulate the golden strands of existence. Speaking truly can draw in and send away dangerous forces. Beings and energies can be imbued into inanimate objects by intention. Dark forces are ravenously hungry for human energy and magic but also can develop towards kindness and empathy, even making human like children. Light forces have an easier path towards a human state but also the lure towards greed, avarice, and power hunger.

Science and magic overlap with alien entities seeking human power through solar energy. The main alien beings introduced are synthetic and have no possibility of reincarnation whereas human spirit is essentially immortal. Travel between realms and universes requires linking into this mass of luminous spiritual energy.

To create the strongest stored mass of magical potential you must trap and destroy life. Again, intense emotions can lead to powerful manipulation of reality and fate. It’s easier to harvest and hold negative versions of emotion than it is to foster positive ones but positive ones have a greater energy threshold. Focused intention and awakened inherent genetic ability allow the wielding of these internal and external forces with limitless potential if you have a strong will.

Last edited:

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
My "magic" system involves explaining the fundamental particles that make up the various flavors of mana, all the way up to the very structure of the cosmos itself and everything in between which includes its relationship between mana, ideas, philosophy, and life itself. I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you, if you MIGHT read it. Read my books like everyone else.

bulmabriefs144

only exception, no xianxia bullshit.
Aaaagh, disqualified out of the gate!

My novel is kinda a mashup of western magic and sorta cultivation stuff. The origin of all magic is the three gates of dantian (upper, middle, lower) with energy circulating through runes. Basically, it's an internal circulation of energy interacting with the outside world. Your pathways can be depleted or broken, in which case you can't use magic.
Runes are floating (atom-like) particles of magic that can be combined when casting, creating a gap for counterspelling. They behave like ink, breaking down in rain storms and fast running water, or being scattered apart by strong wind. You use mana power (MP) when using magic, resulting in exhaustion. If you use more than exhausts you, you risk burning up your body.
Magic follows rules of conservation. Meaning it's not that possible to permanently enchant stuff (and temporary enchants risk fading out). If you try to make a permanent enchant, you bind up part of your total magic on an object. Oh yeah, and runes exert attributes on objects they enchant (that is, don't enchant a piece of wood with fire magic).

LunaSoltaer

Spicy Transbian
Oh sweet! A prompt for me to detail my Magic System!

Okay so I'm actively writing a book called Solstice (https://www.scribblehub.com/series/379579/nanowrimo-solstice/, the first time I ever actually linked to my work on the fora), and in that book I have a neat little magic system that has influences from many distinct works. If I had to make a basic explanation of it, it'd basically go like this:

Magick is the manifestation of phenomena not otherwise possible by Natural Law. This includes pretty much anything you'd expect from a fantasy setting.

The energy used to perform Magick is called Æther. Those who can manipulate it are called Magi. Those who cannot are out of scope for the purposes of this advert.

By itself, Æther can produce force effects, solidify into objects (think spectral arms/armor, etc. You're basically hardening it into a solid), perform telekinesis, read and shield minds, and manifest your spirit as an atmospheric pressure on your opponent. Oh and it can also strengthen yourself as well. These effects are usually divided into Body, Mind, and Spirit. Each Magus is typically talented in one of these three areas.

Magi can also Attune their Æther to one of the Classical Elements. A Magus gets at most one Element to be able to do this with, barring shenanigans, and they need not always perform the attunement. Fire-Attuned Æther produces Fire Magick; ditto for Air, Water, and Earth. Magick Attuned to an Element is far more costly than Unattuned Magick, but it auto-wins clashes with base Magick (so if you throw a fireball at me, and i defend with a wall of solid Æther then fuck me I'm getting burned.)

What Magi can also do is Aspect their Æther to either Light or Darkness. This is actually far higher-level than simple Attunement, but the good news is Every Magus has an Aspect instead of there being "empty" Element-less Magi. Light is fast, sharp, and able to clash with Elements. Dark, on the other hand, is slow, but heavy and persistent, making it very good for shielding and brute force. Aspects and Elements are equivalent in "priority"; Light will clash with Fire, but override Æther.

The real fun comes in when you do both at once. This unlocks one of 16 Concepts, depending on which Element and which Aspect. With this, you can perform feats such as actual creation of matter, summoning demons, teleportation, healing, and creating gravity wells. Magick of this sort is Conceptual, and Concepts are a higher priority than both Aspects and Elements.

Before I continue, Here's something important - Men and Women cast differently: Men pull Æther from the environment, and run it through their Ætheric Vessel, which acts as an engine that drives the conversion of Æther to usable Magick. Women, on the other hand, store Æther in their bodies, and push it out through their Vessels into their bodies wherein they channel it into the desired effect.

Finally we have Spell Circles. Spell Circles are, well, Circles with geometric designs and runic text in them that basically act as complex formulae to auto-produce certain effects. While a Magus can theoretically do any Magick without a Circle, Circles have obvious utility when you no longer have to juggle factors in combat, and can often perform those specific effects better. Unfortunately, only men can really utilize Spell Circles, as drawing one permanently marks your Soul and changes how you do Magick. Men can overcome it with force of will, but women cannot; their Æther is intrinsically bound to that Circle. To make up for it, though, women are immune to a spell that seizes all Æther in an area and therefore denies men spellcasting.

Finally, there is one day of the eight-day week that no Magus is allowed to use Magick, ever. This day is called Enday, and takes place between Sunday and Monday. If you cast on an Enday, an eldritch abomination rips into the world and starts fucking up everything around and including you. They are immune to Magick, and really fucking terrifying, so this lesson gets hammered in the heads of magickal children pretty fucking fast.

That's about all I have right now on my system. It, like the book its in, is still being developed, but these are the main foundations.

Last edited:

Surfing_Cipher

Well my explanation is not good, and i haven't introduce it proplely in my story but here goes nothing. it's element base with the normal fire/water/earth/air/wood. Etc But each element have their own personality and emotions

fire: hot-tempered
water:moody/sad
earth:stubborn
air: a airhead
Wood: (haven't got idea for this yet)

.so the user have to be carefull to not let themself be consume by the emotion. Kinda like the jedi in a way.
try something like hard for wooden, you lowly disciple can not fathom the girth of my wood, morning wood first eruption heavenly showers of blindness
it would be hard but im going with dnd kind of magic system, https://fiction.live/stories/Kuroin...GgFSAQm7Yi9y/New-beginnings/zn3vzvKYw9wnc4ERz check it out here