Authors, Please Always Reply To Comments As Much As You Can!

kira

Hahaha I like the way some people are plugging their novels.. :blob_highfive: I don't get alot of comments but I answer them all I think it is fun to interact with my readers. I can only speak for myself but I think writing is fun and knowing someone else enjoys my story makes me happy🌈

Nanakawaichan

Comments?! Is there even a section for that? OMG! 😱 *goes and frantically searches all the +100 chapters uploaded so far. Oh ... wow! You're right! There it is! A comments section after every chapter. 😨 A shame it's mostly empty 😑

(though, of course, I'm truly thankful for the few, very, very few readers that actually take the time to write something, even if it's only to say thank you. And I always reply them, even if it's only to thank them for reading as well. 😁)

You should have opened a thread called "Readers, Please Always Comment As Much As you Can!" instead. >_>
I understand this very well😢. But luckily I still have some reader who like give me comments even just 'thx for chapters'. It's encourage me to keep writing.

A.P.R.L.

If the reader comments a "thanks for the chapter" then I give a like, in case I don't have too many other comments to reply to, then I write a "thanks for reading!" But usually I tend to answer only those that especifically asked me something, those that didn't understand something, or those that correct grammar mistakes.

Then there are those fantastic super long comments where they analize the story and characters and give constructive criticism and that makes me so excited I usually have to wait for a day at least before replying, because anybody giving so much thought into your story deserves a thought out answer and sincere thanks :blob_aww:

Unfortunately there aren't many of those.

A.P.R.L.

I mean sacrifice? I dunno about you but i wouldnt call it sacrificng their time. Its either their job or their hobby.

but yeaj sometimes people dont comment so we got nothing to work with. Me tho, im always commenting on my own stuff. And sometimes that prompts the readers too, you know?
Oh yeah, sometimes I steal the first comment to make a random author note for something really minor! XD

That usually triggers some replies at least~
Ah, yes, I like to do that as well. Taking the first comment to give out a random message about the story. Always something random and very minor :blobrofl:

Gives me some comments and thoughts from the readers.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Ah, yes, I like to do that as well. Taking the first comment to give out a random message about the story. Always something random and very minor :blobrofl:

Try it with some polls. Trust me. They read a chapter about a sexy futa orc reuniting with her past life's owner (she was a toad, he was a NEET) and then BOOM. You hit em with a poll about TP v Wipes and throw em completely off track.

Polls are fun and you learn a lot about your reader base

UnattainableBlueRose

Comments?! Is there even a section for that? OMG! 😱 *goes and frantically searches all the +100 chapters uploaded so far. Oh ... wow! You're right! There it is! A comments section after every chapter. 😨 A shame it's mostly empty 😑

(though, of course, I'm truly thankful for the few, very, very few readers that actually take the time to write something, even if it's only to say thank you. And I always reply them, even if it's only to thank them for reading as well. 😁)

You should have opened a thread called "Readers, Please Always Comment As Much As you Can!" instead. >_>

I agree most comment sections are empty. It feels so lonely without comments (T▽T)

taesijr123

Meanwhile for my story...

I hear about these super good reviews where people enjoyed your story.

I got a few incomplete ones but never got in touch with it.
Though I continued it, I don't feel like releasing them because of inconsistencies.
(Why is it when I write comedy there are inconsistencies everywhere!)

[Oh right fictions isn't suppose to have no perfect consistences.]

Edit:I rarely replied to them because I got my own problems to deal with IRL.
So yeah, can't really give them the reply they deserved.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice

*pat pat pat pat pat* Ganbatte! ^^)/

*shakes pompoms*
Try it with some polls. Trust me. They read a chapter about a sexy futa orc reuniting with her past life's owner (she was a toad, he was a NEET) and then BOOM. You hit em with a poll about TP v Wipes and throw em completely off track.

o.0

Your ways are to advanced for me! XD

Kiradien

Honestly, I'm not much of an "author" myself since I've just thrown something up recently, but I can see why some would avoid commenting responding to comments. Honestly, it's really hard to avoid spoilers leaking into a response sometimes - really hard.

On top of that, some of the stories are posted to multiple sites and managing it call could get pretty crazy.

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
The way the OP explained it was the wrong way but the idea is correct. I prefer to like the comments and sparsely reply to regular ones. If they are asking a question, I will usually reply. Replying to every single comment is a time-waster if you acrue a large amount of comments over multiple chapters. By only replying to the important ones, you can enrich a readers experience.

Last edited:

A.P.R.L.

Ah, that's a pretty good idea. Will try next time I have the chance!

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Honestly, I'm not much of an "author" myself since I've just thrown something up recently, but I can see why some would avoid commenting responding to comments. Honestly, it's really hard to avoid spoilers leaking into a response sometimes - really hard.

On top of that, some of the stories are posted to multiple sites and managing it call could get pretty crazy.
It's probably not that hard tbh, you'd just need to see if you got any comments on a chapter when you're about to release the next one and stuff. As long as the site has a dashboard that notifies you of comments, it should be fine~

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme

Meh. Thats why i pretend i dont know whats gonna happen, or let them know i might be lying or be vague.

as for the sites, i only post to three or four and its not hard to manage them. Just tedious. I fix spelling errors as i notice them on all the sites, for example, but i take more care with them here. I did this cuz i did always plan to publish the story to amazon or whatever if i actually managed to get at least a first volume done. So i chose a site to give priority to.

Chaaruzu_Corner

Young Senior Member
The way the OP explained it was the wrong way but the idea is correct. I mostly get ‘thanks for the chapter’ though. I prefer to like the comments and barely reply to regular ones. If they are asking a question, I always reply. Replying to every single comment is a time waster. Replying to the important ones is how you enrich a readers experience

Not really though, I don't find replying to comments a waste of time at all. Then if that's the case than commenting thanks for the chapter is a waste of time as well, and I don't think that, it means they liked the chapter and I appreciate the time they did it, and so to show my gratitude I reply back!

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
Not really though, I don't find replying to comments a waste of time at all. Then if that's the case than commenting thanks for the chapter is a waste of time as well, and I don't think that, it means they liked the chapter and I appreciate the time they did it, and so to show my gratitude I reply back!
I meant if the author gets a large amounts of comments over multiple chapters

Vaerama

I really enjoy when people comment on what I'm working on, though I could certainly enjoy more criticism/corrections. I recently read through a chapter of mine I released days ago and I saw the word 'sexy' in the middle of an extremely important paragraph, which was so out of place it boggled my mind as to how it got there in the first place. That's a current-year kind of word, and entirely outside of my setting.... and I missed it :-/

Heck, I really like that positive feedback, but negative feedback is the lifeblood of a solid work. I seem to 'mostly' be retaining readers on SH (in that they seem to level-off), but on RRL it's like watching 10 more people fall off with every new chapter, and without negative reviews/comments: I just have no idea why it might be the case. Well, I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I can't use more-specific tags on RRL, and the only '4' metagenre meant that I had to choose between tragedy and romance D:

So I get super excited when I see the notification bar glow when I occasionally check on SH between spates of writing, and I'm all in a rush to answer once I've seen them. Maybe that'll change if I end up with more comments than I can really keep up with, but until then, I'll be answering almost everything that's longer than 'nice chapters' or 'keep em coming'.

Vaerama

I don't think that would go over too well. Half a chapter to an immolation, then a poll all "hey guys, what'dya think bout dinosaurs? Heckin, right?!"

They might think I'm loose in the head. Maybe they wouldn't be wrong to think it, but I'd rather not encourage them any further than I have to :D