How do you let your character succeed his first trial?

TestingTeddy

I'm really happy with everyone's suggestions and some of them made me smile.

All of your suggestions are valid, the problem is that I didn't clearly specify the conditions of the MC.

After a night of thinking, I was able to come up with the solution to the problem. The answer is Lo- fuck that shounen shit. My answer is lose but still give a pretty good fight. If he survives (which he will), he'll face the problem again with the vengeance.

I think because of how OP most MC's are nowadays, the thought of making them lose never come across people's mind that fast during the MC's first trial.

Ral

All of your suggestions are valid, the problem is that I didn't clearly specify the conditions of the MC.

After a night of thinking, I was able to come up with the solution to the problem. The answer is Lo- fuck that shounen shit. My answer is lose but still give a pretty good fight. If he survives (which he will), he'll face the problem again with the vengeance.

I think because of how OP most MC's are nowadays, the thought of making them lose never come across people's mind that fast during the MC's first trial.
It do come across people's minds. It is just not what they want.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.

So you are going for the Green Skin MC lose to Spear Girl route? Where many readers thought that he should had died on the spot but "due to the Spear Girl finding him worthy and not die in the final strike, she lets him live"? Seriously, even those in the Spear Girl's team begs her to kill the MC to stop a growing powerful foe in the future, hell, there were some even trying to kill him as the Spear Girl's back was turned, but they stopped because there is the Goblin's entire clan with him and the Spear Girl will not protect them if they try to kill him. The end result being MC becoming strong enough to stand as an equal in the human kingdoms iirc. Also, this is kind of setting up as Kingdom Hearts with the foe who is not actively trying to murder you, so yeah, ok.

i think the main problem was solved when my main character finally able to lash out and speak up against their oppressive environment.

it was not easy to build up the courage, when they're pretty timid and have to put up with daily harassment 'cuz they're afraid to speak up.

but a word from friends and daily encouragement made them finally decide, it's enough--they don't deserve this humilliation. they didn't only speak up on their own, but also brought an authority figure that these people fear, and not only the main character not afraid of causing a scene, they even able to vent their emotions and making these oppressors feel like the most terrible person--even if it's exaggerated a bit.

as a result my main character was finally free from the troubles. while there's still subtle talks from the back, all they have to do is be easily offended and lash out at that figure again.

that time, the oppressors might actually lost their job--for something petty that's not even worth it.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
They almost never won cleanly and nicely. My MC is ruthless and cunning, but I, being Liz, had a reputation to uphold— and so, the MC, desperately did everything in his way, using all his power available, exhausting all his back-up plans, and get to see that glimpse of hope.

Of course, I doubled down onto the scenario and the MC, and ML, got stomped so hard the readers complained. Well, they lived because of the MC's clever and exotic life-or-death gamble, but it was not without a price, considering that, til this date, the MC had: lost his body, went blind, got melted from the inside out, lost an arm, lost his legs etc.

I've killed off the MC once, and will not hesitate to do it another time, if the story required me.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
MC starts crying and wishing to be back at their parents' side, which triggers the motherly instincts of the person causing the problem and makes her realize she was being too harsh to the MC~

Vaerama

Some problems you can’t wait out, beat with a stick, befriend, seduce, run from, get help for, be helped for, drug to death, work through with a friend/family, and your only God in Heaven would rather see you dead than to help you.

Some trials must simply be suffered, and endured. There’s a surrender as a solution, sure... but that is a loss (whether as suicide, or eating your own loved ones, or losing that last small desperate sliver of control and letting everyone you’re protecting die!). ‘Pray to Satan, Job, and all will be kosher again.’ is a solution, but to try to stay strong in the face of temptation/a force that pulls on your very person?

That’s a fight I truly enjoy seeing. Endure, suffer, resist... and fail. 🥰

TestingTeddy

So you are going for the Green Skin MC lose to Spear Girl route? Where many readers thought that he should had died on the spot but "due to the Spear Girl finding him worthy and not die in the final strike, she lets him live"? Seriously, even those in the Spear Girl's team begs her to kill the MC to stop a growing powerful foe in the future, hell, there were some even trying to kill him as the Spear Girl's back was turned, but they stopped because there is the Goblin's entire clan with him and the Spear Girl will not protect them if they try to kill him. The end result being MC becoming strong enough to stand as an equal in the human kingdoms iirc. Also, this is kind of setting up as Kingdom Hearts with the foe who is not actively trying to murder you, so yeah, ok.
You just stated the beginning of goblin kingdom.
😆😆😆

Actually, my MC faces a beast that cannot be reasoned with and was lucky enough to survive from it because I'm god.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
MC starts crying and wishing to be back at their parents' side, which triggers the motherly instincts of the person causing the problem and makes her realize she was being too harsh to the MC~
SAVE... MARTHA...

WHY DID YOU KNOW THAT NAME!?!?

AliceShiki

Please refer to BvS meme page :blob_hide:
*googles it*

So uhn... Did Batman and Superman become friends due to mother names or something? I didn't watch the movie... >.>

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
*googles it*

So uhn... Did Batman and Superman become friends due to mother names or something? I didn't watch the movie... >.>
It's because of the forced cut-down by the studio that the scene appeared so abruptly that it became a meme.

Basically, in the theoretical cut, Batman was about to kill Superman and Superman whispered his mother name, which coincidentally is the same with Batman's; and so, the two stopped fighting and the plot resolved itself.

AliceShiki

It's because of the forced cut-down by the studio that the scene appeared so abruptly that it became a meme.

Basically, in the theoretical cut, Batman was about to kill Superman and Superman whispered his mother name, which coincidentally is the same with Batman's; and so, the two stopped fighting and the plot resolved itself.
Lol! This must have been such a bad scene! XD

So much for the intense resolution of batman vs superman~

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Lol! This must have been such a bad scene! XD

So much for the intense resolution of batman vs superman~
Blame Warner Brother for not respecting Synder's vision. :blob_catflip:

Originally, BvS was supposed to be a prelude of an epic universe that ended in some time-travelling shenanigans but WB didn't want it dark so it all became hot garbage.

AliceShiki

Blame Warner Brother for not respecting Synder's vision. :blob_catflip:

Originally, BvS was supposed to be a prelude of an epic universe that ended in some time-travelling shenanigans but WB didn't want it dark so it all became hot garbage.
Why didn't they want it dark!? Weren't all Batman movies dark or something!? >.<

I mean, I didn't watch any of them, but I heard they were dark! >.<

*grumbles about evil Warner*

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Why didn't they want it dark!? Weren't all Batman movies dark or something!? >.<

I mean, I didn't watch any of them, but I heard they were dark! >.<

*grumbles about evil Warner*
Two reasons:

First, they wanted another MCU (movies for all ages). Second, they wanted a never-ending universe (again, MCU) but Synder had already planned the closure for his epic.

AliceShiki

Two reasons:

First, they wanted another MCU (movies for all ages). Second, they wanted a never-ending universe (again, MCU) but Synder had already planned the closure for his epic.
Well, that's fair, MCU does get a lot of money~

Still a pity to have your plot plans ruined because of a desire to make a copy of the other successful model though.