Would you murder your accomplice?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Double-dipping with a second cookie in a single day. Is that bad? :blob_cookie:

A very very long time ago, when you were young and stupid, you and an accomplice attempted a very bad crime (e.g. stole drugs from a pharmacy and trafficked them to a drug cartel). It was only mildly successful, and fortunately you and your accomplice were never caught by the police.​
Fast forward twenty years later. Through sheer luck of life, you landed a great job. You are married, rich (legally), and about to have kids. However, one day out of nowhere, your former criminal accomplice shows up at your front door and wants some of your pie. Apparently, fate hasn't been as good to them and now they're homeless on the streets. Since the two of are such good criminal buddies (sarcasm), your accomplice insists that they want you to buy them a house and pay them a boat load of money so they can be out of your face for the next 20 years.​
Of course, your response is hell no.​
However, then your accomplice threatens to go to the police and confess about that crime the two of you were a part of a long time ago — and then send your little cute paradise crashing down. Your accomplice explains that they have very little to lose. In contrast, you have everything to lose (e.g. your current job, your spouse, family). However, if you pay up, the accomplice promises to leave you alone.​
You respond that you need some time to think about it.​
A thought flows through your head. Since you are still familiar with the criminal underworld, you know some very affordable assassins that you could hire. Since your former accomplice is homeless, it would be extremely easy to fake their death (e.g. drug overdose). Of course, it would cost several thousand dollars, but you're rich so...​

What would you do? Also if your spouse didn't know about your criminal history, would you tell him/her?

>A very very long time ago, when you were young and stupid, you and an accomplice attempted a very bad crime

miss me with that shit, i don't have irl friends in the first place

even when i was young i can't see or imagine myself hanging out with these folks, not to mention doing stupid stuff

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Double-dipping with a second cookie in a single day. Is that bad? :blob_cookie:

A very very long time ago, when you were young and stupid, you and an accomplice attempted a very bad crime (e.g. stole drugs from a pharmacy and trafficked them to a drug cartel). It was only mildly successful, and fortunately you and your accomplice were never caught by the police.​
Fast forward twenty years later. Through sheer luck of life, you landed a great job. You are married, rich (legally), and about to have kids. However, one day out of nowhere, your former criminal accomplice shows up at your front door and wants some of your pie. Apparently, fate hasn't been as good to them and now they're homeless on the streets. Since the two of are such good criminal buddies (sarcasm), your accomplice insists that they want you to buy them a house and pay them a boat load of money so they can be out of your face for the next 20 years.​
Of course, your response is hell no.​
However, then your accomplice threatens to go to the police and confess about that crime the two of you were a part of a long time ago — and then send your little cute paradise crashing down. Your accomplice explains that they have very little to lose. In contrast, you have everything to lose (e.g. your current job, your spouse, family). However, if you pay up, the accomplice promises to leave you alone.​
You respond that you need some time to think about it.​
A thought flows through your head. Since you are still familiar with the criminal underworld, you know some very affordable assassins that you could hire. Since your former accomplice is homeless, it would be extremely easy to fake their death (e.g. drug overdose). Of course, it would cost several thousand dollars, but you're rich so...​

What would you do? Also if your spouse didn't know about your criminal history, would you tell him/her?

How long ago? Well, he can go to the police and do whatever he wants. :blob_evil_two: His threats are empty anyway as our little theft had long since become statue-barred.

Sinpathy

I would pull the plug on that 'friendship' without much hesitation. As long as the hit job doesn't get traced back to me as evidence for a repeat of the same predicament, I'd put him down without a doubt.

There's no real moral dilemma in this case. He's a third-rate scumbag with a fourth-rate plan. For people like your 'friend' who works in dangerous jobs, they should be prepared for the worse case scenarios.

But. Considering he knows about your background, he must've done some research on you. If so, he must also be prepared for some kind of retaliation since he's worked with you before and knows what you would do (probably). If he's smart, he'd also be on the lookout for assassination contracts, and would give you a tighter time limit to deliver the money.

So delegating the work to someone else who may possibly fail their assignment, and most likely even be captured and have the hit job traced back to you, might not be the best choice you can take.

I'd say you bring the guy out for dinner on the day you give him the money, pretend to be interested in what he's going to do in the future with all that money, let him leave.

He'll die minutes in from poison you snuck into his glass when he lets his guard down.

Or. If he decides on an anonymous donation through a bank transfer from the start (which can be easily traceable), then well, you're probably screwed. It's a donation, so you can't reclaim the money back without a valid reason. And even if you did try to invalidate the transaction at the last moment, your 'friend' would still have leverage to fall back on.

Basically there are many factors in how your 'friend' delivers the threat. And depending, you might not even get to see his face a second time. Heck, do you even know where he stays?

If he's just some hobo wanting to get rich though, just do it yourself. Find some unlicensed firearm on the black market and gun him down.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
How long ago? Well, he can go to the police and do whatever he wants. :blob_evil_two: His threats are empty anyway as our little theft had long since become statue-barred.
You're right! I didn't know about this aspect of law.

Certain crimes don't have a statute of limitations (e.g. murder, embezzlement of public funds), but drug trafficking in the US has a 5 year statute of limitations.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I would pull the plug on that 'friendship' without much hesitation. As long as the hit job doesn't get traced back to me as evidence for a repeat of the same predicament, I'd put him down without a doubt.

There's no real moral dilemma in this case. He's a third-rate scumbag with a fourth-rate plan. For people like your 'friend' who works in dangerous jobs, they should be prepared for the worse case scenarios.

But. Considering he knows about your background, he must've done some research on you. If so, he must also be prepared for some kind of retaliation since he's worked with you before and knows what you would do (probably). If he's smart, he'd also be on the lookout for assassination contracts, and would give you a tighter time limit to deliver the money.

So delegating the work to someone else who may possibly fail their assignment, and most likely even be captured and have the hit job traced back to you, might not be the best choice you can take.

I'd say you bring the guy out for dinner on the day you give him the money, pretend to be interested in what he's going to do in the future with all that money, let him leave.

He'll die minutes in from poison you snuck into his glass when he lets his guard down.

Or. If he decides on an anonymous donation through a bank transfer from the start (which can be easily traceable), then well, you're probably screwed. It's a donation, so you can't reclaim the money back without a valid reason. And even if you did try to invalidate the transaction at the last moment, your 'friend' would still have leverage to fall back on.

Basically there are many factors in how your 'friend' delivers the threat. And depending, you might not even get to see his face a second time. Heck, do you even know where he stays?

If he's just some hobo wanting to get rich though, just do it yourself. Find some unlicensed firearm on the black market and gun him down.
So knowledgeable! :blob_happy:

I'm sort of curious though -- would you ever be worried about the crime traced back to you if you did the murder yourself? Like poisoning someone is an obvious murder that shows up on autopsy. Shooting him might be more straightforward because maybe the police might attribute it to gang violence, although I do wonder how extensively the police investigate murder cases involving the homeless.

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
No that's stupid, a murder is more serious than the previous crime.

I would talk to him, tell him I understand if he's desperate, and that I'm willing to put the effort into teaching him how to be rich if he is willing to work hard instead of living the easy way that let him into such a situation. But that if he threatens me again I'm going to do something worse than death, also the crime is from long time ago and I can easily hire a good lawyer and pay the bail. The only thing he would do is to cost me money and make angry my wife for it.
So if he doesn't smart up I'm going to make him blind, reducing his possibilities of survival, if it isn't enough, make him deaf.
Making clear that the only thing I would do for him is to teach him how to make money and once he has a good idea, give him some to start.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I'd talk to my significant other, explain the whole situation to them.
Then, I'd talk to my children together with my significant other and explain as much of the situation as I think they should know at their age.
Then, I'd go to the police and then explain the whole situation to them, and deal with the outcomes of whatever comes from my actions.

I won't be blackmailed by my old partner nor will I let them try to get off of my wealth forever... Might as well just confess to my past crimes and deal with the troubles that come from it.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Pull some strings and get rid of them— my family need not know about the troublesome things, not my kids at least.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
I'd talk to my significant other, explain the whole situation to them.
Then, I'd talk to my children together with my significant other and explain as much of the situation as I think they should know at their age.
Then, I'd go to the police and then explain the whole situation to them, and deal with the outcomes of whatever comes from my actions.

I won't be blackmailed by my old partner nor will I let them try to get off of my wealth forever... Might as well just confess to my past crimes and deal with the troubles that come from it.
Alice! I have a slightly modification of this scenario for you. :blob_hug:

Imagine that the statute of limitations of the crime that you committed is 10 years. After 10 years, the police cannot prosecute you for your crime, and it doesn't matter whether you confess to the police or not because you won't be arrested.

Right now, it's been 8 years since you committed your crime. If you confess right now, you'll go to jail (idk... for 5 years?). If you wait two more years and then confess, you won't need to go to jail.

Will you confess right now or wait until the statute of limitations is reached?

Arkus86

Does he have a valid proof? If not (and I doubt he does, after all those years), it's a word of a homeless nobody against the word of a well off citizen. Tabloids might have a field day, but most people will just take it as a baseless blackmail.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Does he have a valid proof? If not (and I doubt he does, after all those years), it's a word of a homeless nobody against the word of a well off citizen. Tabloids might have a field day, but most people will just take it as a baseless blackmail.
For the sake of this scenario, assume that he does (e.g. a long paper trail of receipts and text messages from when the two of you were planning the crime together, a gun that is registered to your name, etc, etc, etc... in either case, it's evidence that would really help a cold case).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Alice! I have a slightly modification of this scenario for you. :blob_hug:

Imagine that the statute of limitations of the crime that you committed is 10 years. After 10 years, the police cannot prosecute you for your crime, and it doesn't matter whether you confess to the police or not because you won't be arrested.

Right now, it's been 8 years since you committed your crime. If you confess right now, you'll go to jail (idk... for 5 years?). If you wait two more years and then confess, you won't need to go to jail.

Will you confess right now or wait until the statute of limitations is reached?
I'd still confess to it, it's just like... Between the option of having someone with complete power to blackmail me whenever they want (even if only for the next 2 years), getting rid of them for good, or confessing my crimes and dealing with the aftermath, I'd rather go the confession route... It's just safer, and getting rid of them isn't really an option I'd be willing to go through, it goes against my morals.

On the plus side, I'm rich, so if I can just pay a fine and go away scot-free, then it should be easily doable~
Though well, I dunno a thing about the legal system, so I dunno what types of crimes are allowed to be paid off and what are needed to be spent on jail and stuff.

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
Of course I would kill the accomplice. Of course, they would be expecting that too. I would need to be careful. First, tell him I'll do what he wants. Arrange a meeting point. Carry a duffel bag. However, the bag is empty. Instead, I've hired a sniper. I'll get both myself in an area from which the sniper will be able to clearly see us, get my soon to be dead accomplice to stand still by talking some shit to occupy him for a minute so that he will stand still, and then get the sniper to take the shot.

That, or I would drop off a duffel bag but it's filled with explosives, tell my friend to pick it up, and then blow it up from far away. Either way, problem solved.

Vaerama

Hiring assassins is a foolish decision. The assassin, if they're the enterprising sort of person you need in an assassin, will very wisely hire another assassin, and obviously they'll want to hire 'the best' they can get for a good price, so naturally they hire an enterprising sort of person, who themselves hires another assassin, and the next thing you know your whole assassin ring comes down to one guy who asks the target if they don't want to just fake their death instead.

You know, like in https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-50137450

Enigma

Normal
To much to lose from hiring assassins so I wouldn't do that