Re-editing the entire, published chapters.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.
Does anybody encounter and experience this problem?

Mine was rereading, then I suddenly got lazy because I couldn't determine some mistakes since my airhead thoughts came out of nowhere.

Polarize4777

When you write something from scratch, re-read it like a million times, of course it will get boring.

That's why we have cooldown timers, leave a work for like weeks/months before you go in and edit it.
what the person up there say lol, its kind of like art. You can draw and add details all you want, but you can only tell the difference after a long period of time where you understanding and skill have risen a bit to where it is noticeable.

Friend

... well am I? or not?
Cooldown times and leaving for later -- certainly. But add to that as you progress and maybe have multiple stories, you can swap between them so as to keep editing something, and not end up bored or depressed.

What you miss or fret over in one novel may likely allow you to find something in another story that needs fixing. It takes a certain level of mental adaptability but it's doable.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood

Makes one wonder why you made a fork instead of continuing your discussion there. Makes one suspect that you didn't even bother to search for and peek at older relevant threads.

Early pc games didn't come with manuals. Even figuring the controls was trial-and-error. Nowadays, not only are games somewhat properly documented, we have the internet where there are wikis and walkthroughs.

One can't quite complain about having no research resources, but we can be victims of information overload instead! So, even in researching, not just writing and editing, we also employ cooldowns.

"I have no idea what's happening to me anymore. Actually, I don't even want to know!" -Kazama (D-Frag e8)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Does anybody encounter and experience this problem?

Mine was rereading, then I suddenly got lazy because I couldn't determine some mistakes since my airhead thoughts came out of nowhere.
Yeah i sometimes find myself editing a chapter and end up rereading it and then move to the next chapter forgetting i didn't save my edits. Then i get pissed off and have to do it all over again

I only do light edits tho like fixing spelling mistakes, changing a phrase or correcting a mistake to a character. I remember saying one of the heroines' eyes were red and they were actually amber and had to go back and change it hoping no one notice.

Sometimes i even just like to "explain" inconsistencies.
For example i forgot the name of one of the pets and called them something else in a later chapter so after realizing that i now have to have the characters explain, "yeah we changed it"

Soft retcon, you know?

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I don't think you should bother with re-editing your whole story unless you were going to publish it as an E-book on amazon or something...

Just keep moving it forward as a webnovel and enjoy your story as is~

JayDirex

The sad part is, I will re-edit zillions of times...but if i come back a year later IT STILL NEEDS TO BE EDITED or re-written, or what have you. I don't think any novelist can ever be satisfied. Add to that, as time goes by our style improves, changes, updates...and we look back at our old work with that slight cringe~ ugh. Ah well, c'est la vie!

Polarize4777

my tip for this subject is to finish your writing, and when that is done, you will have realize that a lot of time have pass and it is now the perfect time to re-edit the story by re-reading it lol. This is a lot of effort, so I don't recommend this route unless you are dedicated to keeping up quality for future readers.

Nakakure

There will be time when several years in future, you will feel emberassing with what you had been wrote.