Little rant

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Pretending, it doesn't hurt, doesn't help. Indifference is not a solution for me. If I don't like it how it is now, I don't see why I shouldn't advocate the change of the system instead of claiming everything is fine and status quo infallible.

And ranting helps to let off steam. ^^
Ight man sure if it helps you sleep at night why not

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
You said verbatim, " End of discussion." Is that how you approach a discussion? Concluding it already before it even started.

And, no, you cut out that I concluded part, making it seem like I made a statement of fact instead of showing that it is merely a subjective conclusion.

In media, this is called false and tendentious quoting and punishable by law. I could sue you for defamation if you published this in a newspaper. :blob_evil_two:
But that's not the point, isn't it?

Did you even read the context? Did you see that I put "the judge who can conclude that . . ." before your quote? Even more, how is the word "conclude" not implied factual statements?

Haven't answered any of my questions still.

Nakama_the_witnesser

I still don't see the issue with random one-star ratings. Yeah, it sucks. Especially if the ratings come early when you don't have any other good ratings to balance the score out. But here is the thing...every story runs that risk. Yes, the unpopular stories that didn't get many ratings will suffer the most. But what can you do about it? At least you can ask your friends to rate your stuff if you get super trolled.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
You said verbatim, " End of discussion." Is that how you approach a discussion? Concluding it already before it even started.

And, no, you cut out that I concluded part, making it seem like I made a statement of fact instead of showing that it is merely a subjective conclusion.

In media, this is called false and tendentious quoting and punishable by law. I could sue you for defamation if you published this in a newspaper. :blob_evil_two:
Mate, this ain't a fucking high-school debate club, it's a rant thread lol. Chill out hahaha

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
But that's not the point, isn't it?

Did you even read the context? Did you see that I put "the judge who can conclude that . . ." before your quote? Even more, how is the word "conclude" not implied factual statements?

Haven't answered any of my questions still.

Since ancient times, a conclusion is the product of two propositions that are asserted to be true, a syllogism,

a) 1 star ratings are an issue that needs to be addressed

b) scribblehub forum thinks that 1 star ratings are not an issue

= scribble hub forum is blind to the problem and understands nothing

So, no, a conclusion is a purely logical construct and has not necessarily something to do with being factual, the same way you can't prove that 1 + 1 is actually 2.

JayDirex

I still don't see the issue with random one-star ratings. Yeah, it sucks. Especially if the ratings come early when you don't have any other good ratings to balance the score out.
You just LITERALLY EXPLAINED why the system is broken yet you advocate to just accept it. "People get mugged in the street all the time, it's just the way it is. No need to fix it" is what you just said.

that's that problem with you Authors. YOU ARE ALL COMPLACENT!

Assurbanipal_II

You just LITERALLY EXPLAINED why the system is broken yet you advocate to just accept it. "People get mugged in the street all the time, it's just the way it is. No need to fix it" is what you just said.

that's that problem with you Authors. YOU ARE ALL COMPLACENT!

The moment you accept one negative rating you have already lost the fight. As an author, you need to fight with all you have for every inch of ground and every reader. Otherwise, you can give up immediately.

BenJepheneT

Since ancient times, a conclusion is the product of two propositions that are asserted to be true, a syllogism,

a) 1 star ratings are an issue that needs to be addressed

b) scribblehub forum thinks that 1 star ratings are not an issue

= scribble hub forum is blind to the problem and understands nothing

So, no, a conclusion is a purely logical construct and has not necessarily something to do with being factual, the same way you can't prove that 1 + 1 is actually 2.

that's that problem
This is less of a "immense flaw that needs to be fixed immediately"/"not defending yourself from major backlash like a pussy" and more of a excusable con everyone else can ignore and sometimes joke about.

There's nothing wrong with ranting, but this comes off more of petty anger and the inability to put your ego over numerical scores of your own story given by complete strangers that has less taste than a slab of drywall (no offense).

Assurbanipal_II

This is less of a "immense flaw that needs to be fixed immediately"/"not defending yourself from major backlash like a pussy" and more of a excusable con everyone else can ignore and sometimes joke about.

There's nothing wrong with ranting, but this comes off more of petty anger and the inability to put your ego over numerical scores of your own story given by complete strangers that has less taste than a slab of drywall (no offense).

As said, you are complacent, being blind to injustice that you take as something that needs to be accepted. Defending the status quo is a natural position, but I say that we authors have rights and should demand more.

Bene, not everyone's self-esteem is so much destroyed that they don't expect anything any more. If that is the case for, then it is fine, but not everyone thinks the same way.

BenJepheneT

As said, you are complacent, being blind to injustice that you take as something that needs to be accepted. Defending the status quo is a natural position, but I say that we authors have rights and should demand more.

Bene, not everyone's self-esteem is so much destroyed that they don't expect anything any more. If that is the case for, then it is fine, but not everyone thinks the same way.
The status quo is there, no doubt, but it's in such a small scale you're making Mount Fujis out of ant mounds. I WOULD defend my story, but it's like suing a child for calling you pp head, and that actually deals more damage to my self-worth than anything.

Assurbanipal, I would say the opposite. Not everyone has the ego as thick as the earth's magma core. If that's the case, then it's fine, but don't expect everyone to think the same way, especially when you pull Braveheart levels of heroics to your arguements when you just look like some guy making monsters out of windmills.

JayDirex

1. Petty Anger? It's a RANT, so that's what I'm ranting about. Doesn't seem like you have a solution besides lay down and accept it.

2. "put your ego over numerical scores of your own story complete strangers that has less taste than a slab of drywall" Bro, why put up with any of it when it can be fixed?

3. I love how you people all "just accept" inequity and BS instead of saying fix it. you people are the type that would "poo-poo" an umbrella as an easy fix to rain because, "it's just a little rain." Yeah, until you get soaked.

4. It's an EASY FIX! disable the one star unless accompanied by a written review. Guarantee the trolling would slow down to next to nothing

5. And SCREW YOU for attacking my rant and offering ZERO solutions besides, "Get over it." how superficial of you.

Assurbanipal_II

The status quo is there, no doubt, but it's in such a small scale you're making Mount Fujis out of ant mounds. I WOULD defend my story, but it's like suing a child for calling you pp head, and that actually deals more damage to my self-worth than anything.

Assurbanipal, I would say the opposite. Not everyone has the ego as thick as the earth's magma. If that's the case, then it's fine, but don't expect everyone to think the same way, especially when you pull Braveheart levels of heroics to your arguements when you just look like some guy making monsters out of windmills.

You are relativising. In the 30s the world thought what damage could a guy called Hitler possibly do? Not much they said.

But that is not the point, I don't want much to change. I want only two changes implemented, and they aren't major.

That ratings are public and you as an author can check who gave it. It will make people think twice who give 1 stars out like candies.

And that you can remove ratings that you have given. Seriously, why can't you do that?

Is that too much demanded? I don't want the reinvention of the wheel, I don't want them to be removed, I want accountability.

Last edited:

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Once again, the one-star ratings are allowed to strike from the shadows of comforting anonymity. They come and go as they please, leaving no traces in their path of destruction than their mere presence and the annoying absence of any feedback. Negative ratings are just there because the spineless cowards have not even the balls to tell me straight up into my face that my story is shit. :blob_evil_two:

Really annoying, I can't roast them, burn them at a stake, and call them moronic imbeciles with a literary understanding equal to an amoeba. All because they can't be held accountable. Annoying. :blob_catflip:
I kind of agree with you. Our story might look like sh*t in their eyes enough reason for them to give us a pungent 1-2 stars. Even so. I think we need a little accountability. I mean, if his reason is legit any reasonable, logical, and human could see when something is fishy.:blob_sir:

A reason why they gave such rating is perhaps good enough... It helps a lot to determine which is a real reader or a stinking troll. We could even give them guidelines what went wrong -was it the plot, grammar, style, character. I think this is workable.:blob_nom:

Anyway, did anyone asked tony regarding this? A safeguard might not necessarily be a bad thing. It will allow us to see which is the stupid troll sending 1-2 star rating. Don't get me wrong, I 'm not against someone giving 1-2 star. But come on, we all knew some were either triggered by hate or envy somewhere out there. We need to protect both readers and authors from some shady elements ( Not the shady family :blob_shock:).

@Assurbanipal_II Don't worry, even the bastard bomb you with 1-star. I still like your OP loli, I mean your story-story.:blob_shock::sweating_profusely:.

Goswick

Drunken Australian
1. Petty Anger? It's a RANT, so that's what I'm ranting about. Doesn't seem like you have a solution besides lay down and accept it.

2. "put your ego over numerical scores of your own story complete strangers that has less taste than a slab of drywall" Bro, why put up with any of it when it can be fixed?

3. I love how you people all "just accept" inequity and BS instead of saying fix it. you people are the type that would "poo-poo" an umbrella as an easy fix to rain because, "it's just a little rain." Yeah, until you get soaked.

4. It's an EASY FIX! disable the one star unless accompanied by a written review. Guarantee the trolling would slow down to next to nothing

5. And SCREW YOU for attacking my rant and offering ZERO solutions besides, "Get over it." how superficial of you.
You are relativising. In the 30s the world thought what damage could a guy called Hitler possibly do? Not much they said.

But that is not the point, I don't want much to change. I want only two changes implemented, and they aren't major.

That ratings are public and you as an author can check who gave it. It will make people think twice who give 1 stars out like candies.

And that you can remove ratings that you have given. Seriously, why can't you do that?

Is that too much demanded? I don't want the reinvention of the wheel, I don't want them to be removed, I want accountability.

Why are you two talking like you're freedom fighters trying to liberate yourselves from people disliking your story? You aren't fighting against Hitler or some oppressive dictator, you're just mad on the internet.

I mean, it sucks getting a review with one star on it, I know from experience on Royal Road, but at the end of the day people are entitled to their opinions on your story. Nobody gets fawning adoration in everything they do, and expecting it to the point where you believe people shouldn't be allowed to dislike your work without a five-step reason for doing so is a bit ridiculous imo.

Assurbanipal_II

I kind of agree with you. Our story might look like sh*t in their eyes enough reason for them to give us a pungent 1-2 stars. Even so. I think we need a little accountability. I mean, if his reason is legit any reasonable, logical, and human could see when something is fishy.:blob_sir:

A reason why they gave such rating is perhaps good enough... It helps a lot to determine which is a real reader or a stinking troll. We could even give them guidelines what went wrong -was it the plot, grammar, style, character. I think this is workable.:blob_nom:

Anyway, did anyone asked tony regarding this? A safeguard might not necessarily be a bad thing. It will allow us to see which is the stupid troll sending 1-2 star rating. Don't get me wrong, I 'm not against someone giving 1-2 star. But come on, we all knew some were either triggered by hate or envy somewhere out there. We need to protect both readers and authors from some shady elements ( Not the shady family :blob_shock:).

@Assurbanipal_II Don't worry, even the bastard bomb you with 1-star. I still like your OP loli, I mean your story-story.:blob_shock::sweating_profusely:.

I think too many misunderstand here that I am angry about the rating itself. That is not the case. I am angry about the current state of system. Nothing is done against it, the issue is completely ignored despite repeated threads on this forum, and too many here pretend that the status quo is fine.

As I said in my second post, this is not an issue of the rating itself or of numerical values and egos how other people claim. This is an issue of the system. I can live with low marks, but I can't accept when the method by whom they are given is dysfunctional.

Rinne

Professional Headpatter
I thought this is a rant thread? If you want to discuss the rating system, we have half a dozen threads about that already and the conclusion is pretty much the same in all of them: The rating system is fine as it is.

You think forcing a review is the correct choice? Then nobody is going to give you a rating anymore.
Only reviews for 1*? Why? Why not for 5* as well? There are way more 5*s that are probably just thoughtlessly thrown at a story. Why are they okay but 1* are not?

You guys are putting yourself in public by publishing here. Not everyone is going to like whatever you do and there are plenty douchebags that just throw a 1* at a story out of spite, for trolling or some other inane reason. Ranting is completely fine, I rant as well when it happens. But the rating system is not at fault for that, people are. No matter what you do, people will find a way to abuse it. And that doesn't mean only the readers do so. There are plenty authors who would as well.

Forcing reviews and the like are horrible suggestions, simply because they either create a huge bias if you only enforce them for particular ratings or you simply kill off the majority of ratings. SH is not a place where many people are writing reviews in the first place, but if you want even the most popular stories to have less than twenty ratings, then, go ahead and continue suggesting it.
Oh, or you have tons of reviews that are literally just a "hurrdurr, good story" or "hurrdurr, such trash"
That's just going to cause unnecessary work for Tony who, afaik, checks every single review.

And accountability? Seeing who is rating? Please, dear god, no. That's a huge rabbit hole you don't wanna go into. It's just going to cause a lot of abuse and hounding the raters. Just because you wouldn't do it, doesn't mean others won't. I've already heard quite often how unfriendly some authors are in the comments and how many readers don't even want to comment anymore since they just get a hateful reply from them. You want to get the same shit with ratings? No, please, no.

Just use the search function and read up all those threads where the rating system has already be discussed in detail, since all of that is discussed in those threads already as well. You can't make everyone happy. That's how the world works.
Still waiting for someone to suggest to implement the Bayesian average alongside the regular average in these discussions since it's one of the few things that would be a good suggestion, imo.

Now, for ranting, yeah, it sucks. They're horrible. Go take a break and do something you have fun doing or take some friends and rant an hour or two to them. Helps a lot.
Just do some fun things and try to forget about them.

ChronicleCrawler

♠ItCrawls♠
Everyone! Calm down and tone down the sh*tty and provoking words. Let's discuss this in a constructive way lest this thread get's close down without even seeing the key issue here. Let's not get overly philosophical. We all don't want to provoke some bad blood here. Discuss it by points not by emotions.

PS: Don't let your inner keyboard warrior eat your brains. That will definitely make this thread nicer. * An advice from your SH's friendly neighbour. Wink, Wink*

Assurbanipal_II

Why are you two talking like you're freedom fighters trying to liberate yourselves from people disliking your story? You aren't fighting against Hitler or some oppressive dictator, you're just mad on the internet.

I mean, it sucks getting a review with one star on it, I know from experience on Royal Road, but at the end of the day people are entitled to their opinions on your story. Nobody gets fawning adoration in everything they do, and expecting it to the point where you believe people shouldn't be allowed to dislike your work without a five-step reason for doing so is a bit ridiculous imo.

The moment you said freedom fighters you disqualified yourself. Who said I want to purge them? Where did I say that? Read back what I demand. I have only two so far and they seem completely unreasonable. But instead, you insinuate more than we really want. Accountability is not absence of criticism.