Best Take for "Canon"

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
This is what I feel like the best take I've seen regarding the author's intentions vs reader's interpretation of writing. What do you guys think?

1593699467426.png

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
no complaints here. it's a great middle-ground to meet, though if the author did personally come up and clear things or create a revised edition, I'd be more inclined to believe the author, regardless of my feelings or interpretations to the former editions. I'll still hold the previous canon true to the heart, though.

That said, don't pull a J.K. Rowling. Please. Don't, and never ever.

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
I kind of dislike the milk toast attitude from the author's giving the authority to headcanon when it gives too much leeway for people to be toxic about it. But at other times it is completely unreasonable such as Alan Moore and his general disdain for fans that enjoy characters he purposefully made unlikeable yet filled with a depth of personality and personal beliefs that related to a lot of people.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I kind of dislike the milk toast attitude from the author's giving the authority to headcanon when it gives too much leeway for people to be toxic about it. But at other times it is completely unreasonable such as Alan Moore and his general disdain for fans that enjoy characters he purposefully made unlikeable yet filled with a depth of personality and personal beliefs that related to a lot of people.
Wait, liking the “bad behavior“ characters is abnormal??
What do I do with my anti social bad boy characters? All the yanderes and villains? :blob_hmm_two:

Bruh, that man didn’t think things through:blob_popcorn_two:

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
Wait, liking the “bad behavior“ characters is abnormal??
What do I do with my anti social bad boy characters? All the yanderes and villains? :blob_hmm_two:

Bruh, that man didn’t think things through:blob_popcorn_two:
Yeah for real, a lot of people that enjoy depth to their characters also enjoy the antagonists of a lot of stories with great characterization.

D

Deleted member 19049

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't think something as simple as whether a character likes another character is about 'life perspective.' It's a simple question that can be easily answered. Yes or no.

I also think that, if the audience can't figure out how a character in my story feels, I've failed as an author because I haven't made things clear enough. I don't read a story to make up, or interpret, things my way. I read something because I want the exact story someone has to tell. If you're going to have me 'interpret' a bunch of stuff then I might as well just write my own stories.

TRNRLogan

Maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't think something as simple as whether a character likes another character is about 'life perspective.' It's a simple question that can be easily answered. Yes or no.

I also think that, if the audience can't figure out how a character in my story feels, I've failed as an author because I haven't made things clear enough. I don't read a story to make up, or interpret, things my way. I read something because I want the exact story someone has to tell. If you're going to have me 'interpret' a bunch of stuff then I might as well just write my own stories.

On the other hand shippers tend to think EVERY character secretly likes each other. You will 100% see people thinking Voldemort and Harry Potter had a thing going on. They will be serious.

Though in general i agree with your point.