LitRPGs and trending! Attention required!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
We all know that LitRPGs are immensely popular for reasons of demographics and the inherent implications of such a system. :blob_evil_two: Even the greatest loser can become strong with a system.

Now that is not the issue. Being popular is not a problem per se, but it is definitely problematic when LitRPGs stories become too popular and begin to exert a negative influence on the diversity of webnovel writing in general.

What do I mean? Let's give a brief look at today's trending.

1594461913664.png

Overpowered Death Mage In Another World = LitRPG

Origin Seeker = LitRPG

Cinnamon Bun = LitRPG

Rat In The Dungeon = LitRPG

Arcflame, the strongest tree-growing dragon = non LitRPG

The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life = LitRPG

Unsightly Gluttony = non LitRPG

Why is my Harem World a Yandere Nightmare = LitRPG

Reborn as the Duke’s Daughter ~ The Goddesses are Ruining my Life! = non LitRPG

:blob_evil_two: As you can see, 6 out of 9 stories are derivatives of the LitRPG genre which is popular to a degree that it threatens the biodiversity on scribblehub, preventing non-LitRPG stories from entering the apex of exposure. Every author wants to get there, because trending means views, and views mean readers, and readers mean comment regardless of quality. Very simple formula.

- So what do I want? :blob_reach:

I want more exposure for non-LitRPG stories!

- How do I want to achieve that? :blob_reach:

Remove LitRPGs completely from trending and give them an own, separate trending list. Something like a special LitRPG trending bar just for them where they can mess with each other in a death match.

Tony

Staff member
Well, by the fact that this thread exists, I don't think it's as visible as it thinks.

:blobrofl:

I wish it was that easy. After authors submit their series, there's a message after they submit it which states: "All submitted series are checked before it shows up on the site. This process could take up to 12 hours. " but questions like these still show up:

and that message is basically in your face AKA "as visible as it gets".

Ral

The Reading List isn't either, yet it's the main feature of Scribbly. I fail to see your point.
Come on. You are comparing apples with oranges. Reading List is like a basic and very familiar feature. People would seek it. Release Filtering is not.
The Release Filtering... Filters... Releases.

How much more intuitive do you want it to get? You're grasping at straws here.
I am new here, well, newer than you. I know my experiences. I read that name and don't what the heck it means. I only know of it and what it actually do when it was pointed out to me, by Tony himself.

Intuitive it is not.
I'm fairly sure Assur is well aware of the feature.
Only Assur can say.

But I'm fairly sure many have missed that feature. I didn't know of it for months.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
:blobrofl:

I wish it was that easy. After authors submit their series, there's a message after they submit it which states: "All submitted series are checked before it shows up on the site. This process could take up to 12 hours. " but questions like these still show up:

and that message is basically in your face AKA "as visible as it gets".
To be fair, the 12 hour thing isn't that "in your face"

Your series has been added. You may now start writing.

Your series is also listed in your dashboard.

All submitted series are checked before it shows up on the site. This process could take up to 12 hours.

The writer would see the first thing and probably think, okay, my stuff is good to go and leave, and if they see the second line, they may think the rest of the stuff is just good to know tips and then just leave.

If you really wanted it to be in your face, you have to do something like :

YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT UP TO 12 HOURS FOR APPROVAL

Since currently, the message blends in pretty well.

Ral

Well, I think you should present this message before and after they submit their story. I could only imagine people not reading it because their job is done thinking it is just confirmation message. It also appear only once with no way to see it again. Maybe add this same message beside the submit button or something.

The message also sounds really technical. Something that you would expect in the EULA. That is not something that is "in your face" at all. You know how many don't bother to read the EULA. Something more direct instruction like a large "Wait for 12 hours" or "Your story will show within 12 hours" text( accompanied with a clock illustration) and a more detailed message in the lower area if they want to know the details.

Also, a timer or something in their submission page or something that gives a countdown and tells them this message when they click at it or something. Just a feature that indicates that they have to wait.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Come on. You are comparing apples with oranges. Reading List is like a basic and very familiar feature. People would seek it. Release Filtering is not.
I dunno, before NU I never used a Reading List and never tried seeking it either, I just used a notepad to keep track of what I was reading. And once I got into NU, I found out the Reading List at about the same time I found the Release Filtering.
I am new here, well, newer than you. I know my experiences. I read that name and don't what the heck it means. I only know of it and what it actually do when it was pointed out to me, by Tony himself.

Intuitive it is not.
If you wanna talk about unintuitive, I can explain to you how you can make any specific series never appear in the home page for you. That one is unintuitive. The Release Filtering OTOH tells you everything you need to know by its very name... It's really not that hard.

Ral

All submitted series are checked before it shows up on the site. This process could take up to 12 hours.

The writer would see the first thing and probably think, okay, my stuff is good to go and leave, and if they see the second line, they may think the rest of the stuff is just good to know tips and then just leave.

I've never submitted a story before but . . .

So the fact that they have to wait for twelve hours is in the last sentence? Seriously, SH is so weirdly designed.

Tony

Staff member

Look at how short this is...

It's "in your face" to me. It takes a few seconds to read at most. I figured people don't read it because it's boring though which I get. I'm willing to bet that even if I did as you suggested, those threads will still pop up. I wouldn't do it though cause those big fonts are ugly...

So the fact that they have to wait for twelve hours is in the last sentence? Seriously, SH is so weirdly designed.

Really? I like SH's design in general even though there are some stuff I need to fix. I guess everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion though.

Ace_Arriande

Well, I think you should present this message before and after they submit their story. I could only imagine people not reading it because their job is done thinking it is just confirmation message. It also appear only once with no way to see it again. Maybe add this same message beside the submit button or something.

The first thing people see when submitting a story on RR: "To submit your fiction, both the fiction information and the first chapter or prologue are required. After that, your submission will be inspected by our system and one of the staff members. "

The last thing people see when submitting a story on RR: " It can take up to 48 hours for a submission to be approved. If issues are found within the submission, it will be rejected and corrections will have to be made before re-submission."

Yet people are still constantly asking - at least, they were on the Discord at least once a day, how long it takes for new stories to be approved, why their new story isn't showing up, etc. The only way to make it any more obvious is by having giant flashing letters that cause epilepsy. Even then, people are still going to somehow miss it.

At least in regards to this aspect of SH, as I've posted on Webnovel, Royal Road, attempted Wattpad, Honeyfeed, and Hentai-Foundry, SH is not weird relative to its competition. Maybe when compared to general websites... sure, depending on what site and sort of platform it is? But compared to other web serial platforms, not at all.

EDIT: Also, release filtering isn't even an option to have on those other platforms. Is it a bit "hidden" here? Sure, I could see the argument for that. But at least it has it whereas other platforms don't at all.

Last edited:

Ral

I dunno, before NU I never used a Reading List and never tried seeking it either, I just used a notepad to keep track of what I was reading. And once I got into NU, I found out the Reading List at about the same time I found the Release Filtering.
Gee! Reading List is not that visible either? Then how can Release Filtering be visible too in that case?

Still, doesn't change the fact that most users are savvy and know this feature by the very fact that it is a feature at almost any site similar to SH. It is like the "save" feature of almost any software. Even if you get a new Writing software, you know that the save feature exist and you can use CTRL+S to activate it. You would even try it even in software that aren't writing softwares.
If you wanna talk about unintuitive, I can explain to you how you can make any specific series never appear in the home page for you. That one is unintuitive. The Release Filtering OTOH tells you everything you need to know by its very name... It's really not that hard.
Just because something else is more unintuitive doesn't mean this thing we are talking about is not unintuitive.

And no, the name doesn't tell you everything you need to know about it. You actually have to click on it and go the the Release Filtering page to know that it filters the contents of the Main Page. The fact that it has to be explained to you its function tells you how unintuitive it is.

Last edited:

Ral

Really? I like SH's design in general even though there are some stuff I need to fix. I guess everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion though.
At least in regards to this aspect of SH, as I've posted on Webnovel, Royal Road, attempted Wattpad, Honeyfeed, and Hentai-Foundry, SH is not weird relative to its competition. Maybe when compared to general websites... sure, depending on what site and sort of platform it is? But compared to other web serial platforms, not at all.
Look. What most sites (and software) do with something like this is they post these warnings by themselves in a dialogue box or something (then you have to click "continue" or "close" etc to banish it). There might even be some sounds and flashing stuff or something. They put emphasis on the warning. SH put these along with other things where it gets lost.

I think with other sites, they don't have this waiting thing so they don't need to put a warning like this.

Tony

Staff member
I think with other sites, they don't have this waiting thing so they don't need to put a warning like this.

No, they don't do it because it's super annoying on a website and there's still no guarantee that people will read it. It's different from a dialogue box on a software.

I don't mind those threads and I feel like those questions are normal. My point was even if you try to force something on someone, you will still get questions like the threads I listed.

This is from my own personal experience. You are free to think what you want.

Ral

No, they don't do it because it's super annoying on a website and there's still no guarantee that people will read it. It's different from a dialogue box on a software.

I don't mind those threads and I feel like those questions are normal. My point was even if you try to force something on someone, you will still get questions like the threads I listed.
But Web browsers have a dialogue box or something like that (through javascript I think). But what I said about the dialogue box was just an example. There are many other means they do this like overlays or just some flashing text. Not only that, there is the follow through. In my suggestion, it is the timer. Other sites do things like highlighting stuff or put it in a different section, notification, ect, to tell that there is something about them. Many ways to the same stuff. But if you don't like the idea, then don't.

And I didn't force it. I mean, I just said it is weird. I didn't tell you to change it or something. Heck, I'm not even the one complaining about it. Not to mention, it has no effect on me. I haven't published anything yet and I already know of this stuff. If you didn't want me to point out these things, then I would not bother with any this stuff anymore. Afterall, one person you shouldn't get in conflict here is you.

@Tony
How hard would it be to put a link to the release filtering page here btw (hyperlinked "Filter")
View attachment 3163
Very nice idea. Maybe even place the filter even higher (directly above Trending) indicating that it affects everything under it.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
And I didn't force it. I mean, I just said it is weird. I didn't tell you to change it or something. Heck, I'm not even the one complaining about it. Not to mention, it has no effect on me. I haven't published anything yet and I already of this stuff. If you didn't want me to point out these things, then I would not bother with any this stuff anymore. Afterall, one thing you shouldn't get in conflict here is you.

ehhh I wasn't being aggressive or at least I wasn't trying to. You should be free to point out stuff you dislike of course. Sorry if you felt that I was being aggressive :sweating_profusely:

Software vs website developing are different though. I came from a software developing background and actually made some money from it while I was still in school which kinda funded my websites and stuff.... and now I'm here :blob_party:

I'm not the best of course and I'm still learning everyday. I know there's a ton of flaws with SH and I'll do my best to fix them... after the SH app.

AliceShiki

But Web browsers have a dialogue box or something like that (through javascript I think). But what I said about the dialogue box was just an example. There are many other means they do this like overlays or just some flashing text. Not only that, there are follow thoughs. In my suggestion, it is the timer. Other sites do things like highlighting stuff or put it in a different section, notification, ect, to tell that there is something about them. Many ways to the same stuff. But if you don't like the idea, then don't.

And I didn't force it. I mean, I just said it is weird. I didn't tell you to change it or something. Heck, I'm not even the one complaining about it. Not to mention, it has no effect on me. I haven't published anything yet and I already know of this stuff. If you didn't want me to point out these things, then I would not bother with any this stuff anymore. Afterall, one person you shouldn't get in conflict here is you.
Very nice idea. Maybe even place the filter even higher (directly above Trending) indicating that it affects everything under it.
Jesus, stop double posting, it's not that hard to use Multi-Quote...

AliceShiki

Eh. Is that it? I don't care.
Double posting is tolerated, but within moderation.
- What is double posting? Double posting refer to posting in a thread twice or more in a row.
- Is there a case when double posting is allowed? There are several case when double posting are allowed, for example: In original creation and original composition thread. The first poster of a thread might also post two or more post in to better organize their thread.
Stop. Double. Posting. It's in the frigging Forum Rules for heaven's sake, take a minute or two to read them. You're not supposed to Double Post unless necessary.

It's a pain to scroll through threads when you keep spamming posts in them nonsensically.

Ral

Stop. Double. Posting. It's in the frigging Forum Rules for heaven's sake, take a minute or two to read them. You're not supposed to Double Post unless necessary.

It's a pain to scroll through threads when you keep spamming posts in them nonsensically.
It is tolerated no?

And you are the only one complaining. Why would I accommodate you? Especially you. Don't think I forgot your message to LamenThief. It is still there.

And nonsensical? Then just don't bother.

And my reason is that it just happens that me and TypeAxiom post at almost the same time. I just clicked reply instead of doing the more roundabout thing of editing my post and quoting him (try it).

AliceShiki

It is tolerated no?
Within fucking moderation. As in, do it when needed.
And you are the only one complaining. Why would I accommodate you?
Because it's in the forum rules that you should follow, duh. You don't need to accommodate me, you need to follow the forum rules.
Especially you. Don't think I forgot your message to LamenThief. It is still there.
It's not my fault you harm your own reputation by purposefully angering people, standing your ground when you know you've long lost an argument, complaining about anything and everything that exists in Scribbly regardless of rather your complaint makes any sense and actively breaking forum rules. *shrugs*

Regardless, I don't care about your petty grudge, just follow the forum rules.
And nonsensical? Then just don't bother.
It makes a pain to scroll through the thread, it's why I bother with mentioning it in the first place.
And my reason is that it just happens that me and TypeAxiom post at almost the same time. I just clicked reply instead of doing the more roundabout thing of editing my post and quoting him (try it).
I've been doing that for 4 years now. It's not that hard.

Sure, it takes a bit of effort to do it on phone, but it's no big deal.

Ral

Within fucking moderation. As in, do it when needed.
It was in moderation. Like only once here. I guess your "moderation" means "don't do it ever!!!".

And I think it was needed. They have different topics after all.
Because it's in the forum rules that you should follow, duh. You don't need to accommodate me, you need to follow the forum rules.
Again. It is tolerated right? It doesn't say don't do it ever!!!
It's not my fault you harm your own reputation by purposefully angering people, standing your ground when you know you've long lost an argument, complaining about anything and everything that exists in Scribbly regardless of rather your complaint makes any sense and actively breaking forum rules. *shrugs*
Eh? Are you blind? Did you know what happened and what he did to me? I told him not to blame the community and that I can't find the hateful comments he talked about. Apparently that is enough for him to call me a hater and spam my inbox with hateful messages about what a disgusting person I am, that I do nothing but hating him for no reason, that I should just go away and leave him alone, and other insane hate-filled stuff. He is practically harassing me. I tried to pacify him. I thought everything is all done when I said I'm sorry and he accepted it (or so I thought). He didn't even ask for forgiveness about the whole thing. I don't mind. I want it all to end and be done with him . . .

Then he created a thread where he lied about everything. Saying that I, apparently an idiot hater, was attacking him and what not . . . What? He is the one attacking me. Playing the victim to gather pity.

And you, taking the moral high ground, condemn me . . . How dare I anger him and hurt his feelings.

What?

Guess it is not bad as long as it is not me doing it. Especially if it is done to me, that is even better because it proves what a horrible person I am . . . according to you!
Regardless, I don't care about your petty grudge, just follow the forum rules.
I don't care about your whining.
It makes a pain to scroll through the thread, it's why I bother with mentioning it in the first place.
More whining. Like it is that hard to scroll.
I've been doing that for 4 years now. It's not that hard.
So what? I don't care.

And is it really that hard to scroll? That you make a big deal out of it?

And oh!:
If you happen to encounter a violation of rules, report them instead of directly replying to the thread/status as it would often lead to off-topic discussion.
Guess the only one allowed to break the rules is you.

Last edited: