Dreams to Stories.

Emerald_Severwill

Have you ever had a dream that you just had to write down since it would make a good story idea?
If so, have you already written it? If not, do you regret not writing it?

I have had too many to count. I sloppily wrote them down in a physical dream journal, but that has long since been lost. There are few I remember vaguely, and plan to put one or two of them on here once I have time.

SilentApproval

Both of my currently published novels are based on dreams, I Refuse To Be A Helpless Damsel being the one I've had twice. I also had a recent dream that I was going to write to another novel with but I decided to save it for a bit and turn it into a novel when I get writers block again. I don't usually get dreams and when I do, they're really vivid and I remember them well which is why probably I turn them in novels.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
My dreams often turn into nightmares, or end up being so incoherent that there's no point in writing what happened in them.
The nightmares I wouldn't write due to them involving past traumatic experiences which I don't enjoy reliving.
'-'

X

Ununique

Messiah of Alternate Accounts.
There's only ever melancholy and regret in my dreams so in a way, yeah I've involved that in character depth before. However, involving actual story elements stemming from dreams no I haven't written anything like that and there's no regret in that. If anything it's more fun to dream about events you've already written so long as it's not horrifying.

Lon3ly

I always forget my actual dreams but some times certain scenes jump out and I like add them into my stories.
I have MADD (Maladaptive daydreaming disorder) so my daydreams are actually what my stories are based on lol, I pace around while listening to music and daydream the next chapters of my story or just a random idea for an arc or a back story.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I do sometimes lucid dream and I remember what I dream about, but I haven't used what I dream to write a novel because I know that I wouldn't be able to finish the novel.

Check out my novel:
A Chance To Become a Adonis

D

Deleted member 29316

There are many dreams of mine that I incorporated in my work, and it turned out fine. In fact, sometimes my dreams would help me get off from my writer's block.

And also, would you believe that dreams also caused me to return to drawing and writing, back in the time when I dropped it all due to discouragements?

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
Published Novels:

For a change(A Naruto Fanfic)

Reteach Common Sense

I'm a butler so what

My internet cafe in Another World

Not published Novels:

The Yandere and the pervert - A guy who is afraid of Yanderes but gets perverted over a yandere girl who has his ideal body and looks.

Traps Love - A Tomboyish Girl and a Feminine boy meet in which both having a sad backstories where they fall and ended up connected to a string of fate.

The Shota Delinquent - a boy with a high IQ get in to a All-girls school to select a perfect candidate for his older brother's fiancee.

A God's Vacation - God who was busy with work, decides to take a day off in the mortal world and live a normal life for a day. He ended up missing as all the angels and demons go rampant to look for god in which God became a NEET.

A.P.R.L.

Yes, in fact, my current story is completely based in a dream I had once, characters and all. Of course, I have to fill in many things as my dream included only the most important plot points, but yeah.

I also got another dream recently that would make a really good novel, but since I already have difficulties having a regular schedule with my current one (I have no schedule, that's how bad it is) I'm just saving it for a moment when I do have time to write it. Or, if the occasion arises, I could incorporate it in my novel :unsure:

Last edited:

Samuel_Spader

I know a composer who had a dream of making a piece. His name was Giuseppe Tartini, who made the piece titled "The Devil's Trill"

Taken from Wikipedia;
~
Tartini allegedly told the French astronomer Jérôme Lalande that he had dreamed that the devil had appeared to him and had asked to be Tartini's servant and teacher. At the end of the music lesson, Tartini handed the devil his violin to test his skill, which the devil began to play with virtuosity, delivering an intense and magnificent performance. So singularly beautiful and executed with such superior taste and precision was the Devil's performance, that the composer felt his breath taken away. The complete story is told by Tartini himself in Lalande's Voyage d'un François en Italie:

"One night, in the year 1713 I dreamed I had made a pact with the devil for my soul. Everything went as I wished: my new servant anticipated my every desire. Among other things, I gave him my violin to see if he could play. How great was my astonishment on hearing a sonata so wonderful and so beautiful, played with such great art and intelligence, as I had never even conceived in my boldest flights of fantasy. I felt enraptured, transported, enchanted: my breath failed me, and I awoke. I immediately grasped my violin in order to retain, in part at least, the impression of my dream. In vain! The music which I at this time composed is indeed the best that I ever wrote, and I still call it the "Devil's Trill", but the difference between it and that which so moved me is so great that I would have destroyed my instrument and have said farewell to music forever if it had been possible for me to live without the enjoyment it affords me."

Mesmerized by the devil's brilliant and awe-inspiring playing, Tartini attempted to recreate what he had heard. However, despite having said that the sonata was his favorite, Tartini later wrote that it was "so inferior to what I had heard, that if I could have subsisted on other means, I would have broken my violin and abandoned music forever."[5] While he claimed he composed the sonata in 1713, scholars think it was likely composed as late as the 1740s, due to its stylistic maturity. It was not published until 1798 or 1799, almost thirty years after the composer's death.
~

Samuel_Spader

TL;DR:
A composer named Giuseppe Tartini had a dream of a Devil composing a beautiful piece, which he tried to recreate yet failed. The piece was titled "The Devil's Trill"

ZoeStorm

Yes, the story I've just started publishing yesterday is based on a dream.

I had this really vivid dream of a scene in the story, which will come later on; I was in the POV of the main character, and besides being in the scene, I had full knowledge of "how we got here" i.e. what happened before to get to that scene, right from the start of the story.

That dream stuck in my mind for a full day as I went to work and such, and in the evening I sat down and wrote the scene; from there I went back and wrote the prologue, and the first chapter, and so on.

How the story ends, I made up by myself, no dream involved since of course the main character (me in the dream) wouldn't know that. But I have confidence that I can manage to end it well enough 🙂

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
Usually I find it hard to express the most important (in my opinion) parts of the dreams to make them coherent.

LazyPanda

Err I dream about random stuff....
One time I was running up a ice crystal interior with a party of adventurer. I myself was a fire troll warrior and can't remember who my party members were until we reach the top of the ice spire that had a giant portal open. Then it ended. I woke up.
Another, I enter a hotel in the middle of a dark creepy forest and found was able to pay for a room to stay in. Then the whole place went dark, and I came running out of room trying to figure out what was going on. Just to see Jackie Chan slaying giant spiders with his awesome moves... I ran up to support him, as we were soon surrounded by a horde of demonic insects. That ended there

Latest one I can remember was being a Vampire in a post apocalyptic world. Where I stare at the desolate broken city outside of my window, then soon came to admire my trophy's on the wall.
Many of them were naked living beings. The males would act as punching bags to relieve my stress, while the females would relieve my sexual lust. Mind you that there were all chained/trapped in a wall. Which would change their positions according to my desire. How they were kept alive were because me injecting them all with my power to keep them from starving or dying. How I inject my power into them also depend on their gender.