Recommended Software?

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Pretty self explanatory. With all these references that have been granted to me I've decided to get off my butt and try to practice more rather than just sit and hope I get better someday.
Some say you should start with a hand drawn sketch, and that's all fine and dandy, but what should I transfer it to?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Are you looking for some software that will transfer a hand drawn sketch into digital format, or just drawing software in general?

I would only start with a hand drawn sketch if you have a good scanner and stable income to maintain subscriptions to fancy software. Otherwise, if you want something free, GIMP is pretty good.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased

GIMP is very confusing for me, but I'm trying to work it out.

Also, I meant just a drawing software in general.

shiopan

I use clip studio paint. It's like photoshop, but better for drawing. Though, the software is kinda heavy. (My sis major is game character design, she said most japanese use it, and I must agree it's good for making manga)

Paint tool sai is lighter, and I used it before. Kinda the same like clip studio but with less tools I guess.

I've heard that a lot in SH use GIMP? It's a photo editor like photoshop, but it should work I guess. Though, from my experience with photoshop, using real drawing software is better. But it's free, so why not?

Suryae

Dismembered
Krita (good brush engine and svg support) or use Blender's Grease Pencil (3D software with surprisingly good 2D capabilities.

I spoke as a beginner hobbyist, but I think a professional could see the merits. Also, both of them are free.

Lazy_Acorn

You are using mouse??? I used it before, but it was sooooo hard to control that I broke my savings for a drawing tablet 😂 mad respect for mouse users
Yes, although it's hard, Paint Tool Sai has a Linework that allows you to draw 'easily' with the mouse, since you can control the line after you draw it.

Sometimes I draw a sketch by hand, take a photo with the cell phone and then take it to Linework.

Without this layer of Linework I wouldn't even try :blobrofl:
I even use blur in the shades to not let the trembling of the mouse appear.

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Free: Medibang, Firealpaca, Krita, Gimp, Paint tool Sai (cracked)
One-time buy: Clip Studio Paint (wait for their regular sale to buy), Coreldraw (expensive wtf)
Abo: Photoshop

I use Clip Studio Paint EX currently. Before I used Sai, but the extend of functions of CSP is wider.

Ral

I don't have money so I use the free stuff, like GIMP and Krita, though now I mainly use use Mypaint.
I use Paint Tool Sai, since it is very easy to use and it is possible to make a good drawing even with the mouse.
Hello, fellow mouse user.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

Mine's...

Photoshop CS6 (pirated)
SAI (pirated)

I mainly use Photoshop, SAI is for emergency sketches and retouches. I combine the use mouse and graphic pen tablet, since I'm not used to the latter.

MagicalDucky

I use Clip Studio Paint and would definitely recommend it since it has a ton of features and it's specifically made for drawing anime/manga style, but it is a but pricey unless you're ok with dusting off the old pirate hat. :blob_okay: I've tried out SAI too though and it's a great alternative with plenty of features.

.Lance

I know medibang and csp have an extract line feature that is pretty useful for coloring traditional stuff

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Not that I draw, but where are you people pirating some of this software from? I'm looking for something for writing but I can't decide and I'm fairly low-tech, but might would be willing to tinker. Utorrent just....doesn't work well. Sometimes for some reason, I can't get anything to seed. It always random so I can never tell what will or won't work. It's not very reliable. And good old PirateBay which to me was the best place, is gonzo now.

IDreamNovels

I am not an artist, but you can try Photopea and see if it works for you. It's a free alternative to PS, not sure how well it works for drawing and sketching.

MagicalDucky

Not that I draw, but where are you people pirating some of this software from? I'm looking for something for writing but I can't decide and I'm fairly low-tech, but might would be willing to tinker. Utorrent just....doesn't work well. Sometimes for some reason, I can't get anything to seed. It always random so I can never tell what will or won't work. It's not very reliable. And good old PirateBay which to me was the best place, is gonzo now.
Well, I'm pretty sure pirate bay is back up again so you can just use it again if that's what you're used to. Just make sure it's the actual thepiratebay.org and not a proxy site. Otherwise, there are a few other alternate sites like 1337x.to or rarbg.to that are pretty decent. Also, don't forget to use a VPN if you can.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Instead of learning software I draw on pencils and learn how to take good pictures instead.

I recommend this if you don't feel like investing in a drawing pad or don't have the patience to save up. Just toy with Instagram filters and you'll make your drawings look good in no time.

Photoshop CS6 (pirated)
SAI (pirated)
Like a true financial chad.