Changing the rating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiver

So, I've mentioned this before in other threads, but I'd thought I'd make a thread to ask for a change in the 5-star system used on SH and add my reasoning to it.
Apologies if this has already been discussed and turned down.

Going by the number of threads about 1-star ratings and trolls I've seen appear over the six weeks since I started posting here, it has to be apparent that the 'give your 1 through 5-star rating' for a story causes a lot of frustration among authors when they see those inevitable 1-stars.
Now I know Tony can check out the ratings and will remove those that look like trolling, but that gives him more work to do and doesn't solve the underlying issue.

Youtube published the figures back in 2009 when they switched from their 5-star rating system;
The gist of it is that while a few people carefully consider their star ratings, the overwhelming majority of people use a 5 star to show they like something and 1 star to show they dislike something.
I do not think it's different here.

So I propose a like-dislike binary system.
That would make it clear what the reader thinks of the novel, and every account's opinion carries the same weight.
So no more single one-stars tanking the novel's rating and demotivating the author and/or giving Tony more work.

Now I understand the worth of a visual five-star rating in choosing which novels you want to look at -not to mention whatever math magic the site uses it for to figure things out with-, but switching to a like-dislike binary system doesn't have to change that.
A simple percentage-based system of the number of likes/dislikes compared to the total amount of votes would give an excellent place to base the star rating on.
A 100% of accounts liking the novel would give a 5-star visual. 1 in 10 liking it would give a 0,5 star visual, etc.

That's it, cheers.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I already suggested this when I noticed that my story literally only had 1-star and 5-star ratings.

I was like: "Wait, maybe this is why Youtube changed their rating system," because if people are going to vote that way anyway, why not just let them do that?

It would probably be best to implement that when the site is young because it's only going to get more difficult as it grows.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
That just makes it easier for people to just dislike the thing. 2, 3, 4 stars allow people to articulate themselves in a more concise manner and get pinpoint in how they gauge a work's quality. Turning it into a binary system doesn't make anything better; now people can only give a major approval or a major dislike without anything in between.

It doesn't help anything. Just makes the rating system more shallow than it already is. Now it's harder to discern between an actual dislike or a genuine troll. And don't give me that "legitimate review or troll" crap either. If you're gonna do it with the dislikes you gotta do it with the likes too.

Last edited:

Shiver

That just makes it easier for people to just dislike the thing. 2, 3, 4 stars allow people to articulate themselves in a more concise manner and get pinpoint in how they gauge a work's quality. Turning it into a binary system doesn't make anything better; now people can only give a major approval or a major dislike without anything in between.

It doesn't help anything. Just makes the rating system more shallow than it already is.
True, except, that's not how the average person works.
If a tiny minority of people only uses the ratings 2,3 & 4, those ratings don't improve the system; they only muddle it.
I've worked in computer development for a long time, and one of the most critical lessons I've learned is that simple is better.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
Well, if the issue is that people are only giving it one star or five stars, why would you want to further limit the possibility of getting something else by cutting off three fifths of the rating system???

if they gave you 1*, you should be happy. because there's someone who wasted their time only to give you a rating. be proud.
an additional 1 page view as well.

Shiver

Well, if the issue is that people are only giving it one star or five stars, why would you want to further limit the possibility of getting something else by cutting off three fifths of the rating system???
Mostly because it's not for the people giving the rating, but for the authors who write the novels.
Regardless of reasoning, a 1 star 'dislike' hurts. Visually, and viscerally, it's 5 times as bad as a 5 star 'like.'
If most aren't using the system anyway, why keep it complicated and easier to hurt the writers filling the site with content. That seems counterintuitive to me.

if they gave you 1*, you should be happy. because there's someone who wasted their time only to give you a rating. be proud.
an additional 1 page view as well.
I don't pay too much attention to the ratings given without a review. The 5 star likes are nice and all, but don't really tell me anything, just like the 1 star dislikes. Feedback is far more valuable to me than a quick star rating.
But just take a look at the author general, and you'll see a lot of authors taking them badly and getting demotivated. We're even coming up with things like 'you're not a real author until you get the lowest rating' to make it a badge of honor or something.
Again, counterintuitive for a website filled with content by said authors.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I mean, what do you really get from 2, 3, and 4-star ratings anyway?

People like to vote in extremes, that's just the way it is. The way that Youtube handled it is by making it a percentage thing.

Ral

I had wrote similar things in the past. The star rating system is kinda problematic especially in a platform like this. This isn't something like Amazon that commercially focused where you will be targeting commercial entities or professionals.

In some sites goes even further, allowing only likes or abolish the rating system altogether.
Well, to me, there is psychological difference.

Star Ratings essentially targets the work/writer. 1 star essentially says that your work is horrible.

In contrast, Like/Dislike is more reader focused. Dislike means that this reader didn't like your work.

There is a difference.

And in a way, Like/Dislike more accurately reflects what actually happens. Most doesn't really give one star because the story is terrible or five stars because the story is perfection but because they dislike or like it respectively.

Shiver

Well, to me, there is psychological difference.
Star Ratings essentially targets the work/writer. 1 star essentially says that your work is horrible.
In contrast, Like/Dislike is more reader focused. Dislike means that this reader didn't like your work.
There is a difference.
You articulated that so much better than I did. Thank you.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Yeah, but can the reviews still in star?. I mean, if you wanted a feedback that's the most appropriate way.

Shiver

Yeah, but can the reviews still in star?. I mean, if you wanted a feedback that's the most appropriate way.
Don't see why not, just unlink that rating from the like/dislike count. If you're giving a review, you're already thinking about the rating anyway.

Ral

Don't see why not, just unlink that rating from the like/dislike count. If you're giving a review, you're already thinking about the rating anyway.
Though, you didn't really need a star rating attached to a review. A possible option.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

Personally, this is what I would like.

I would like for the like/dislike thing to be something universal to every story. But, the star ratings and the reviews would be a separate thing that a story could only have when it's completed.

So, think about, the only way you could rate a story with stars is when it is completed, and by leaving a review for the completed work. It would encourage more writers to actually complete their stories, which is a good thing in my mind.

Maple-Leaf

•Deceased
I don't really see how it would do anything, if the issue is the lack of variety in reviews. If anything, it would lessen the merit in getting a good rating because there's only two options. Not to mention, who writes reviews with a like dislike system? It just doesn't feel right.
And some people like to leave mediocre reviews. If I read something I didn't really like, I might want to write a review about my experiences, and not be limited to either like or dislike, because I was sort of in between. I might change my mind and not even write a review if I felt indecisive about which to choose. One might think that's a little exaggerated, but I'm the type of person to overthink that kind of thing, and it's likely others are too.

TheGuyThatEveryoneHates

I don't really see how it would do anything, if the issue is the lack of variety in reviews. If anything, it would lessen the merit in getting a good rating because there's only two options. Not to mention, who writes reviews with a like dislike system? It just doesn't feel right.
And some people like to leave mediocre reviews. If I read something I didn't really like, I might want to write a review about my experiences, and not be limited to either like or dislike, because I was sort of in between. I might change my mind and not even write a review if I felt indecisive about which to choose. One might think that's a little exaggerated, but I'm the type of person to overthink that kind of thing, and it's likely others are too.

How does the rating system we have now affect the reviews anyways? Youtube comments aren't made better or worse by the like/dislike feature.

Maybe, by implementing that feature, it would encourage people who's experience with the story is more complicated than 'I liked/disliked it' to express those feelings in a review, instead of just giving a 4-star rating or a 2-star rating?

Ral

I don't really see how it would do anything, if the issue is the lack of variety in reviews.
Shiver didn't say that the issue was lack of variety of reviews, it is more about the lack of variety of ratings (mostly one or five).
Not to mention, who writes reviews with a like dislike system?
Many actually. A lot of publishing platforms for stories don't provide a rating system (some doesn't even have the review mechanic) but people still gives reviews (and if there is no review mechanic they review in the comments).

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Already suggested a few times before. The answer is still the same.

The difference between the star system and the like/dislike system (or any other system you can come up) is minimal and will barely make any difference.

Unless someone can convince Tony that a change would be worth his time, it's not happening. There are simply better features to implement than a change in the rating system in which you change 6 for half a dozen.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I would find that demotivating as a reader, since I'd have to give really great stories the same generic "liked this" as meh stories.

Would be better to make it "like", "dislike" and "this was okay". And by that point you're better off just using the star system anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.