Scribble Hub Forum

HURGMCGURG
HURGMCGURG
No, no... Sometimes it's directly overhead. Or sometimes the moon is out.
Llamadragon
Llamadragon
... well I mean, yeah. In some parts of the world, that's the better part of the day. This time of year where I am, 'sunset' lasts for like two hours and then there's another two hours of twilight before it's properly dark.

Why there are so many novels that seem to take place far up north is a different question I've long pondered. Tolkien influence I suppose.
YuriDoggo
YuriDoggo
How far up north is far up north? Given population distribution, I'm guessing a good part of the writers here probably come from Europe or the urban centers of the U.S, which makes them more likely to be writing from experience rather than influence from any particular series.
Llamadragon
Llamadragon
IDK, I just very rarely encounter a novel that is said to take place near the equator or far south. Lots of novels never mention it, but those that do, I've noticed it's nearly always somewhere north. (As a northerner who only know the north, I'm guilty as well, though.)

Maybe it's just the fact that I like reading fantasy, and most modern fantasy is based on Scandinavian/Germanic folklore (elves, dwarves ect)?
BenJepheneT
BenJepheneT
I can personally vouch for that there are certainly easterners here who write out of influence than experience.

To us, you western northerners are like skies to us cavern dwellers.
Llamadragon
Llamadragon
Lmao, same for us with the east. All the MMO influence is... getting there.