Scribble Hub Forum

Moonpearl
Moonpearl
When I come back to it, I either cut into those scenes to fix them or I rewrite them entirely with my altered version in mind. I especially aim to cut down on the excessive blunt dialogue and add more nuance.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
After a couple of times of that, I might hand it to someone else to read for feedback or change font, print it out and read it aloud to check for spelling errors and awkward sentence structures. Ideally I do both, but which order I do it in depends on what I'm writing.
Scribbler
Scribbler
I'm impressed. I think my writing would be far better if I reread books, and let chapters sit for a while before rewriting them. And I do some of the same stuff!
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
@Scribbler Sadly, I learned this process through writing university essays rather than fiction writing. Seems to be universally applicable, though.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
Another great trick that I did learn from writing help books is to copy and paste writing that you like but can't keep in a story into a brand new Word document to save. Makes it easier to be brutal when editing, and it cuts down the time you spend resisting the edit.
Scribbler
Scribbler
This is exactly the kind of writerly stuff I was looking to talk about when I joined a writing forum. Too bad the forums aren't all that populated. Writing is a lonely deed...
Scribbler
Scribbler
I hardly ever alter or change a scene once I've decided on it. But I do add a little or take away a bit to make it feel more real. I never really try to make something feel more nuanced or blunt; I try to make it feel as real/believable as possible.
Scribbler
Scribbler
Usually, when i feel the flow of it, I hardly ever writing anything constructed awkwardly (I do believe), except when I try to add anything to an already finished paragraph, then since it doesn't flow as well with the rest of it, it often times looks added on/oddly structured.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
I've been told that most of the writerly discussions happen over on Discord, but I'm not a fan of the site.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
I'm very jealous. Unless I'm feeling particularly inspired and blessed by the writing gods that day, I can never make things feel natural or flowing in the first draft. If I spend extra time trying to force it work, I always burn out and never finish the piece I'm working on - though it's fun to do once in a while, just for the exercise.
Scribbler
Scribbler
I wasn't much for the discord either, too many people yelling at me. And I got a feeling that the people there, or the majority of them, didn't love the craft as much as I did. Now I know that's a heavy statement, but I stand by it. I thought everyone wrote with feeling? We must have misunderstood one another at some point.
Scribbler
Scribbler
Writing really doesn't feel like something you can force. It's something you have to think on for hours, if it feels wrong that is, in my opinion.
Scribbler
Scribbler
And I get a feeling you love writing since you like to read and applaud all of the yuri garden submissions. You like to learn from other's writings. Or so it seems.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
Some people write purely for light-hearted fun and to see if they can. There's no shame in it, but it does produce quite a difference in a mindset. There are also people who are new to writing who are serious about it but don't quite know how to be self-critical yet.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
There are various improvisation exercises that can help force writing, such as the "Scribble Thread" here on SHF. They can be fun, I just don't think I can sustain them for longer than a few paragraphs.
Moonpearl
Moonpearl
And yeah, I do enjoy reading other people's work~! It's really fascinating to me how people can come up with such wildly different ideas, or can produce completely different stories using exactly the same concept. I learn the most from seeing how others did or didn't achieve what they were aiming for, and it's kind of encouraging to see everyone trying their hardest.
Scribbler
Scribbler
Yes, some writers are either casual or new. Although I'm still new and amateur to writing, I cannot relate to those type of people. And those are the sort that infest the discord. I mean inhabit. Most of them have only read web novels and have never touched a book in their life. That's not to say that web novels are bad. They have a different strength when compared.
Scribbler
Scribbler
But they are simply not my type of people.
Scribbler
Scribbler
But simply by reading their words, I can see how little they love and know of the written word.
Scribbler
Scribbler
And I see that they are nothing like me, both in mind and heart. Though they may pretend to be. They are not.