Yorda
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• Yorda
    Yorda
    For people who are interested in such here is a simple way to make estimates yourself during early phases of infection. Just throw some datapoints and do a polynomial regression.

https://arachnoid.com/polysolve/
    Yorda
    Yorda
    According to various sources like the Canadian Federal Health Minister, there is an expectation that 30-70% of Canadians could be infected (before a vaccine is commercially available to the public is what they didn't explicitly say). Assuming 30% and a low 3% death rate (which is far lower than what is currently being seen by most countries) at least 300,000 Canadians will die.
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I suspect the true death toll will be much higher due to an overwhelmed healthcare system and a complacent/negligent public that does not make a sufficient effort to stymie the spread of the virus. I believe the truth death toll will be hard to estimate at this point, but I would not be surprised if it was over 5% of the entire Canadian population by early next year.
    Why do anime and manga characters seem to have wildly eccentric personalities, and appearances (hair style and hair colour are of particular interest)? My guess is that Japanese society pressures its citizens into heavy conformity and their psychological needs to express their unique selves is not being met. Are the Japanese tired of everyone having black hair? Maybe.
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    I think it's more so that people can more easily identify the characters.
    Also, animated stories in general over-exaggerate facial features, personalities, colours to help the viewer to better see the personality of the character.
    '-'
    I mean, The Simpsons have people with yellow skin and crazy facial features with odd hairstyles and colours, too, no? And that's an American animation.

X
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    In a way, I think Japanese media converses more towards the expression of ideas and emotions with its outlandish designs and over the top stories, while American TV prefers to hit home with its viewers, like the satirical nuclear family of the Simpsons.

In short, yeah. Compared to anime, the actual Japanese lead a kinda dull life. Except for their TV celebrities. They are fucking nutcrackers.
    Assurbanipal_II
    Assurbanipal_II
    That is rather obvious. Anime and manga are both media strongly influenced by escapist tendencies, which is often the case in literature. They tend to represent an alternative version of reality different from the strongly conformist and hierarchical society of Japan. Or to make a long story short, anime and manga are classical wish fulfillment to use less scientific terms.

I have a more cursed version, if you want.
    • Haha
    Reactions: Yorda
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I couldn't breath for about 5 seconds. :blob_okay:
    Yorda
    Yorda
    But I noticed that my mochi bunny Yoyo actually looks quite decent. You even made her look happier. *clap clap*
    毎日もっと素晴らしい悪女になる。おほほほ。:blob_evil_two:
    binarysoap
    binarysoap
    > Posts should be kept English only, as managing multiple languages would require an extraneous amount of resources.
    Totally not pointing this out because too lazy to translate every time
    Yorda
    Yorda
    おほほほ。 :blob_neutral:
    Hopetoread
    Hopetoread
    Profiles are usually exceptions
    There go our Canadian universities. Remote education shall begin! My city doesn't have any reported COVID cases yet, but we want to be proactive since the larger cities have about 30 cases in the province. I'm not sure about public schools and kids yet. The whole university thing happened suddenly (2 days notice).

Day1: Hey everybody we might close.
    Day2: We're closing.
    Reactions: ohko and Ethereal
    Yorda
    Yorda
    Good thing I graduated recently ... ohohoho
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    Good, cause' Islamic Mosques need a second minute to think about it.
    Yorda
    Yorda
    Wow, it's only been a few days since my local university closed and now the first cases of COVID in my entire region is my local university. Somebody went on a business trip, came back, tested positive, his wife works at the university. If they so much as kissed or sat in the same room for an extended period of time she would probably be infected too. People aren't self isolating after travel.
    I was looking up, "When are people not considered young anymore?", when I found this.

61 - 80ff Senior. Not necessarily old but you probably have grandchildren who think you're old. You may not be the fastest or badest, but your insurance is usually cheaper. This is around when most people think you're old.

When I get to that age I'll remember, "Hey, I'm not fucking old! My insurance is just cheap!"
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    Maple Syurp Land always hold such enigmatic infrastructures huh
    Yorda
    Yorda
    A lot of insurances are cheaper for older people. Mostly vehicle insurances, and there are senior healthcare packs that are free, but young people need to pay up!
    AliceShiki
    AliceShiki
    I wish things were like this over here... T.T

Health insurance in particular is crazy expensive for the old... orz
    with this *lick* you can finally crawl your stone age ass out of the Neolithic period and learn some BB coding you deformed troglodyte
    • Wow
    Yorda
    Yorda
    *Crawling*
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    'o'
    Yo-chan is so old!
    Yet she looks so young!
    'o'

X
    I made an adventurer guild card. Ohohoho. It's now my signature spoiler. Ohohoho.

I changed the formatting a bit. I spent 2 hours learning BBcode scatching my head trying to figure out the stupid scope of all these BS [][][]
    tags. It was indentation hell.

Who invented this crap? @Ddraig
    Reactions: Ddraig and Nahrenne
    Ddraig
    Ddraig
    Dont blame me, there was no option for a cell split. Besides why the hell are you dealing with the bb code directly?
    • Haha
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I didn't know there was the table button so I just read your code, learned it from reading the code, then wrote the BBcode from scratch to make my tables. However, it is clear to me that whoever made BBcode is F*****g stupid. One should not even wipe their ______ with BBcode.
    • Haha
    Reactions: Ddraig
    Yorda
    Yorda
    It's because I can generally do things in many different ways and sometimes I'm just do things because I can.

It never even crossed my mind that there was a button. A button? What's that?
    I'm going to legally change my middle and last name one day. Probably within 5-15 years time. Everybody throw in some name suggestions.

Please. :blob_cookie:

I'm curious what people on scribblehub from all different backgrounds would recommend for names. Just throw out some cool names that you like.
    Reactions: GM
    binarysoap
    binarysoap
    Time to make an alt or 10 to make you feel better
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I've always considered making an alt or 2 to post on my own posts.
    For humour purposes though ... I'm not lonely ... that lonely ...
    binarysoap
    binarysoap
    You don't need to make an alt to post on your posts
    Just talk to yourself with your current account!
    No one would think you are weird, right?
    Hmmm. I'm playing around with different ideas in my head about stories I want to read.

(1) I want to read a sort of mechanical/steampunk world otome game villainess story.
    (2) I want to read a story where the MC reincarnates as the heroine of an otome game ... but she wants to be the villainess because she is obsessed with them.
    gaylolis
    gaylolis
    it needs more lolis for that
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    in a desolate, futuristic world where loving mature ladies is illegal, men are captured by policing lolis for not falling for underage women. the MC, a loli herself, has found herself isekaied to such a world and decide to change things once and for all - make heterosexual love illegal and zoophilia mandatory
    Yorda
    In response to the question,

"I keep saying it, all we have in life is fight
    villaness
    splendid
    further explain"

(> ω <)

It all comes from the heart, of DARKNESS.
    Reactions: Nahrenne
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I have been striving everyday to become a splendid villainess. Ohohoho. Undaunted by the crushing realities of life. Ohohoho. Though the fleshwounds may pile up the burning darkness in my soul shines brilliantly. Ohohoho.

Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    '-'
    *applies plasters and bandages to you*
    (^-^)

X
    I can't drive to work today. There is a snowstorm for about 2 hours. The snow is falling so fast and heavy that all my windows (front, both sides, and back) are completely covered in about 40 seconds, and my mirrors get covered too. The windshield wipers just pile up the snow on my windshield and don't wipe it all the way off because it's too heavy.
    *lic-*

hol up

there we go
    tiaf
    tiaf
    Wednesday lick
    Yorda
    Yorda
    I think it's a picture of sauce?
    I'm scared that it might not be a picture of sauce.
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    Looks like honey and mustard dressing.
    '-'

X
    My recent goal as of late has been to make 6000 physical Japanese flashcards to help me learn to read better.
    I took the 6000 words from this site,

and made PDFs, printed them on cardstock, and have been cutting them out ever since. So far I cut out 3000.

They look like this,

Reactions: ohko
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    I mean, don't the shoujo heroines in these Villainess novels usually do that anyway?
    '-'
    As in, they never specifically choose one of the love candidates but are surrounded by them all and protected by them all.

X
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    No shade towards the villainess heroine novels but that seems like a shallow life tho
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    A lot of badly written shoujo romance novels are quite shallow in that regard.
    '-'

X
    Yorda: "A villainess, by the natural order of this world, must be high-spec. That is why we must refine our personages daily."
    Yoyo: "Yeah!"
    Yorda: "Raise your level to the utmost and dedicate yourself to the ways of the elegant evil."
    Yoyo: "Yeah!"
    Yorda: "Do you really understand?"
    Yoyo: "Hmpf. It's incomprehensible why you would even need to ask. Ohoho. :blob_evil:"
    Yorda: :blob_blank: ... :blob_hmm_two:
    小鱼 is your Chinese name, lmao, according to Nah anyway
    Nahrenne
    Nahrenne
    It's cos I've been reading a lot of CN's as of late, so I remembered the affectionate word for small/little from it. I can't remember the Japanese equivalent - other than using -chan.
    >w<

X
    Yorda
    Yorda
    魚 vs 鱼
    Interesting.
    I find Chinese characters interesting, but not as useful as a phonetic alphabet. That is why Chinese and Japanese school children have to spend so much time just learning to write and memorize characters rather than focus on conceptual advancement.
    BenJepheneT
    BenJepheneT
    Sometimes I find Chinese redundant and stuck backwards. It's fun to learn, but there's just so less factor to pursue it deeper besides learning how to speak the language.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…