Scribble Hub Forum

Bluebery
Bluebery
Report on violence on rice
Reactions: tiaf
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
Uncle Roger ignorant. Uncle Roger not knowing Europe having autochthonous rice types. Uncle Roger not knowing how to make Risotto. :blob_evil_two:
BenJepheneT
BenJepheneT
Fuck euro rice, all my homies stick to Asian rice
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
Yush, imported and changed. :blob_evil_two: High starch compared to Asian rices.
HURGMCGURG
HURGMCGURG
Fuck this guy, MSG is shit.
binarysoap
binarysoap
If the rice had high starch compared to Asian rices, shouldn't that be even more important to wash the rice beforehand?
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
No, risotto is supposed to be clumped and sticky. That is the entire point if starch rich rices. :blob_evil_two: So if you get not sticky rice, you messed up big time But I doubt she tried to make risotto, and I also can't tell which rice she used.
binarysoap
binarysoap
The video was trying to make egg fried rice, which definitely isn't risotto, so Uncle Roger isn't ignorant for that part at least.
tiaf
tiaf
That rice that she used should be non sticky starch rice, yet she cooked it totally wrong, making the rice consistency taste half-cooked. It wouldn’t have been a problem, if she had stir-fried the rice afterwards, but then it wouldn’t be healthy anymore.
tiaf
tiaf
Also, there exists sticky rice in Asia too, but hell, it still needs to be washed before and never have I rinsed rice after cooking. Why would I wash away the fragrance of rice?? @Assurbanipal_II
Rinne
Rinne
The sieve thing is actually not as bullshit as it looks like. Most rice types contain some arsenic which is far from healthy. And one method to reduce the amount of arsenic is to drain the cooking water. The downside is that you also drain quite some of the nutrients. So, whether it is actually more healthy is arguable, but iirc inorganic arsenic builds up in the body, so...
Rinne
Rinne
As for washing rice, you usually want to wash rice unless you need the starch. It removes some of the arsenic as well and also removes the fine dust that's on the rice from polishing. Parboiled and natural rice should be fine since they aren't polished, I think. Still, when in doubt, just wash the rice.
PandaSempai
PandaSempai
The dude above is right. If you really want to still smell the scent of the rice, it would be better to buy the kind of rice that have that innate fragrance. Whether it's healthy or unhealthy is still up for debate but it is still better to be safe than sorry.

I mean, we Asians all do it by practice so...
binarysoap
binarysoap
@Rinne But if you wash the rice before you cook it (which the guy in the video mentions that she should have done), wouldn't that also get rid of any arsenic?
Rinne
Rinne
@binarysoap You preferably do both.
It's not really possible to get rid of all the arsenic in the rice. There will always be a small amount left but the less it has, the better. This is especially a concern if you eat a lot of rice on a regular basis.
Rinne
Rinne
As for the video, I think they didn't care that much about the arsenic. She probably used parboiled rice which for one is pretty common here and also doesn't really need to be washed for the fine dust caused by polishing. And cooking with lots of water and then draining it makes it nearly impossible to burn the rice and is therefore more beginner-friendly.
PandaSempai
PandaSempai
We Asians use your index finger to measure the amount of water that we put on the rice. You just measure the rice below with your index finger and put the same amount of water.

This is pretty effective since most rice are cooked pretty well when using this technique.
PandaSempai
PandaSempai
Also, if the rice is a low end product, we rinse it for about 2-3 times. It tastes like s*** when you don't.
Rinne
Rinne
I learned to do it by cups as well and it's also how my mother taught this in her school (she's a home ec teacher). Though, judging from how you explained it, the 1 : 2 (or 1 : 1.5 for some) ratio still seems to be similar, so I guess, whatever floats your boat?
Can't comment on low end rice since the rice I usually buy is pretty decent. I don't eat rice all that much so I don't mind getting the decent one.