Scribble Hub Forum

Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
I hope nobody lights a match with 100% oxygen. :blob_melt: Won't they also get an oxygen intoxication?
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
In the same way being at a higher altitude makes it harder to fill you lungs with the same pressure of air you would at sea level, meaning you have to exert more pressure with your lung muscles, breathing through a filter requires more pressure too, but the mechanisms are different for each. If this make any sense?
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
the lung volume is decreased.
Your lungs don't magically get smaller. It just requires more effort from your muscles to fill them with the same gas pressure inside them as you would have at sea level. The air want's to make the pressure the same, inside and outside. Less pressure outside means you can't have as much inside without more effort, if that makes any sense?
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Sorry @Nahrenne, sometimes I don't catch my misspellings, it happens often with names >.>
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
Lung volumes and lung capacities refer to the volume of air in the lungs at different phases of the respiratory cycle.

The average total lung capacity of an adult human male is about 6 litres of air.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
I hope nobody lights a match with 100% oxygen. :blob_melt:
iirc at 20% atmospheric pressure, fire burns the same in pure oxygen as it does in normal atmosphere.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Oh, I guess you're using different terminology? I was thinking of Volume as in, the scientific measurement sense, as in, the amount of atmospheric pressure gas that could be held by a container of defined dimensions, in this case, the container was lungs.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Wait.. now I'm confused.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
lol, I think I'm over thinking things now trying to think how to say things simply, and worrying if I'm thinking wrongly about the meaning of your wordings?
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
AAAH Help ;-;
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
Lung volume is the scientific term for the capacity of the lung to inhale a certain volume of air. :blob_melt: When I mean lung volume decreases I mean the volume of inhaled air decreases.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Edited the thing about a match, somehow Grammarly turned PURE into OUR
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
When I mean lung volume decreases I mean the volume of inhaled air decreases.
That's the bit I don't get, like, if you breathe in the same amount, thus expanding your lungs the same amount, the volume within must remain the same? In order to achieve the same pressure(which at sea level the gas pressure of oxygen is ~20% atmospheric pressure), at higher altitude you would need to exert more force.
Maple-Leaf
Maple-Leaf
*belatedly appears*
Hey! Did I hear someone trash talking my boss!
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
But if you're breathing through a filter, the external and internal pressure is the same, so you only need more suction force to get through a filter, but not to hold the same gas pressure? So.. it's.. like.. both need more force, but for different reasons, and in the altitude one, you can get less oxygen due to pressure differences, but a filter, doesn't affect pressure like that.
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
:blob_melt: I said a similar phenomenon, not the same situation. The results are similar, but the reasons are different.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
And your ability to absorb oxygen is really only dependant, as far as I understand, on its specific gas pressure. Meaning uhm, It's functionally equivalent to have 100% atmosphereic pressure, with 20% oxygen, and 80% nitrogen, as it is to have 100% oxygen as 20% atmospheric pressure. All the matters is the specific gas pressure of oxygen itself.
Assurbanipal_II
Assurbanipal_II
I just wanted to insert it. Because when I had to do physical work with a mask on, it reminded me like being in the height.
Freesia.Cutepearl
Freesia.Cutepearl
Oh yes! I think we're saying the same thing but I didn't realize it? though, that's only for the difficulty breathing. The amount of oxygen you take in through a filter at sea level would be the same as without. Where as sea level versus high altitude would be less unless you breathed in deeply and help sea level pressure in your lungs? Ugh.. confusing brain melting weeeee