Scribble Hub Forum

F
ForestDweller
But, after I get older, I grew tired of complaining about isekai. What's the point on doing it when people won't agree with it? And with my life kinda going down the shitter, more and more I can see the appeal of the wish-fulfillment in the genre. So I try my hand in writing my own isekai. And Mushoku actually has a number of things I like from it, so I use that as a base.
F
ForestDweller
I can't go all the way with the wish-fulfillment though. So my MC ends up like that instead of the more traditional type. And I'm getting some inspiration from this other isekai I forgot the name about with a similar, weak-hearted isekai MC.
F
ForestDweller
For the meantime, do what you can do to improve your work. Fix the inconsistencies, rationalize your scenes and characters' actions, make your characters believable...something along those lines.

What? A rewrite once it's over? I doubt I'll do that.
F
ForestDweller
There's nothing I really want to fix from what I've written so far. I only want to add stuff instead, from certain scenes to fancy quotes like in Mushoku Tensei, written by the MC (it's supposed to be from an in-universe book).
F
ForestDweller
I got back into MT at the start of 2020 because of the Roxy manga. Because fuck, that actually makes me understand Roxy's appeal.

A shame she fell in love with Rudy. That part didn't get written quite so well imho.
D
Deleted member 29316
@ForestDweller So there, that's your answer. While it is really unnerving to see people drop your work, complain and whine about your way of doing things, the fact remains that you alone could put value in your work. As it seemed, you're pretty satisfied with what you've written, so I'd say you pretty much reached your goals for the story...and that's important as well.
D
Deleted member 29316
Readers tend to give feedback base on their biases; it's just that, the audience that would've appreciate your work haven't found yours just yet.
F
ForestDweller
That implies the story needs more advertizing.
D
Deleted member 29316
That could also work. You may want to revise your summary and tags, too.

That's why I was looking for more novel platforms the other day, to broaden my work's exposure.
D
Deleted member 29316
Since the readers would always try to look at your MC to relate or immerse themselves in the story, you might want to give them an idea of what to expect of him in the synopsis.

Check out mine.

F
ForestDweller
I... don't see the description of your MC there.
D
Deleted member 29316
At the end of the synopsis, there's a little 'Author's Note' there. It's not spoiler-y, yet I gave the general idea that what my readers would read is an extremely weak and magic-less MC that grows in his abilities and relationships as the story progresses. That would also give them the point that it is not a wish-fulfillment work.
F
ForestDweller
But you can just use the Weak-to-Strong tag for that.

I thought it would be something far more detailed.
D
Deleted member 29316
Readers expect (and love) character development, so while I gave them the reality about my character, I also assured them that he won't stay like that forever...which also serves as an assurance that they won't stay frustrated for long.
D
Deleted member 29316
Ah, about Tags...based on my observation, a lot of readers don't give a damn about Tags, until too late and they are frustrated as hell. Might as well be honest with them and tell them what they'd expect.
D
Deleted member 29316
It's like what happened to me with a reader before. Says he added my work because it's one of the 'few that doesn't have harem'. I was surprised by that, because it's clearly tagged as 'Harem'. So yeah, they don't usually look into the tags until they are slapped on the face with that aspect of your work.
F
ForestDweller
Oh yeah, I remember like in the late chapters of Shield Hero, the MC has a rant about how women can't be trusted, and how lying women like the villain are all too common in the world.
F
ForestDweller
So, it doesn't help that the first waifu is an obedient slave woman.

But honestly, I can write a waifu like that if I wanted to. I just haven't done so in my story because she wouldn't fit the story. But if I ever start another isekai, I might just do that. There's a high appeal in slave waifus. Just look at Count of Monte Cristo. :s_tongue:
F
ForestDweller
Take a look at Mushoku Tensei. When it came out first, it was criticized due to Rudeus' character.

But then, it's one of the best isekais out there. Imagine if the author gave up and pandered.

Reminder that it took the top spot on Syosetu.com for ages when it was serializing. This is the site that has pure smut slave dungeon harem stories on the top ten spots as well.
F
ForestDweller
When you can't gather that level of attention, it doesn't matter whether your work panders or not. It's like this. There might be some isekai out there that are really, really good that I would love to read. But how would I know it exists? How would I look for it? You can search for tags for sure but you'll end up using the same tags anyway with bazilions of other stories.