18+ subdomain

minacia

perpetually sour
Maybe this is a controversial suggestion...

But I'd like to suggest that all the 18+ content (specifically the adult/mature/smut/r18 tags) be automatically sorted to an r18.scribblehub.com subdomain.

The idea would be that the r18 site would have its own trending homepage and recent updates list.

The reason for this is that a lot of r18 content regularly sits on the trending tab, which honestly isn't all-ages friendly. Many websites (syosetu, tapas, and others) regularly shove all r18 content into a subdomain to protect their underage readers and serve advertisers better.

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
This would make it very hard on 18+ novels that are not pure smut.
Some 18+ novels like mine only have those elements as a complement, not as the base, doing that would completely kill novels like those, making the r18.sh a smut only site and making writers censor their work to fit the regular one.

minacia

perpetually sour
Some 18+ novels like mine only have those elements as a complement, not as the base, doing that would completely kill novels like those, making the r18.sh a smut only site and making writers censor their work to fit the regular one.
I mean, technically when everything is blurred together as it is right now, everything is already competing on the same leaderboard.

If the leaderboard is split, it's mathematically easier on both sides. There would be more novels on trending on both sides?

DarkGodEM

Book Editor
I mean, technically when everything is blurred together as it is right now, everything is already competing on the same leaderboard.

If the leaderboard is split, it's mathematically easier on both sides. There would be more novels on trending on both sides?
You fail to take in consideration that ppl who will go into the 18+ site will only be those explicitly interested in 18+. Essentially splitting the reader base in uneven halves

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I feel that way as well. Sex is a big part of my story, but I "drop the curtain" on most scenes before they get too explicit. Really, it's more a challenge to society's attitudes about monogamy.

Someone on writing.com said she wouldn't mind her 13-year-old daughter reading it.

Zoey

Mustachu
I would totally sign under this though.
Multiple Trending.
separate Original, Fics and Smut and also have on general trending list
The biggest question I have is which genres do we put in the drop down menu(or if you can think of something better tell me) or say fuck it and just put all them in there.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
The biggest question I have is which genres do we put in the drop down menu(or if you can think of something better tell me) or say fuck it and just put all them in there.
Tony once said he would make a sister site for all genre with their separated trending and stuff, but it's been ages since he said that. Maybe we will get it in like 10 years.

Zoey

Mustachu
Tony once said he would make a sister site for all genre with their separated trending and stuff, but it's been ages since he said that. Maybe we will get it in like 10 years.
As much as I like the idea of the drop down menu, figuring out how to implement it is the real challenge so I can only throw ideas out there.

I'll come back later if I have any good ideas.

Last edited:

DreamOfRen

Plus 1 this.

Also I was thinking about starting up my own forum dedicated to ecchi / mature fics.

I have no idea how practical, time consuming or feasible it would be. But i AM willing to do it or give it a try.

thedude3445

This might help lift up some non-smut stories on the regular site, so I think this might be a good idea.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Not a subdomain but I'd recommend a default option where smut (and other 18+ or explicit content of the likes) is automatically hidden until you switch it back on.

Sure, you might as well have bludgeon engagement with the blunt end of the axe but hey, it'll curb the intense smut overexposure this site has. Plus, only those who look for them know.

Mar

While this does seem like a good idea at first it looks like it would create problems for writers, like me, who write about dark and mature topics such as mental health, torture, and gore. I do not write smut or even have any sex scenes written at this point of time and placing all mature stories into a new subdomain would make it near impossible for my story and others like mine to get noticed in the wake of all the smut content.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I don't think it'd be a bad idea per se, but why lump mature together with the sexual content tags/genres?

I dunno, it feels a bit weird to lump dark gory things (or more psychological series and what not) together with sexual stuff.

And well, there are also the problems that the other people here said, which are also pretty valid.