1st person or 3rd person

Which do you use (the most)

• Total voters

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
I’m curious about what pov the authors on this site use the most.

ScramblinMan

I don't know about anyone else but when I write I prefer third person limited. Whenever I pick other stories at random on this site it seems to be a mix so I'd argue it's probably 50/50 on first person vs third person but that's just my perspective I'm not actively collecting data

D

Deleted member 57675

Pov preference
1st pov for writing.
3rd pov for reading.

Many in previous threads before liked third pov writing as well. When first started out, I think 1st pov feels easier to write bc can self insert into character a little, so can explore what emotions characters go through. But I prefer swap it out with names cause don't want self insert into characters too much completely, then feels bit weird. Especially when its horror - third person it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I only write on 1st person PoV. I prefer having the main character narrate everything and limit the viewer to the knowledge known by the main character~

ChaosGodOfJashin

The Chaos God of The Towers
Depends I guess.. I just try to balance the 3rd person and 1st person as much as I could.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
It honestly depends on the type of writing. I stick with a limited third-person point of view for most of the stuff I put down. It's an "over-the-shoulder" view. You're stuck beside a character but you aren't given a direct look into their mind. It's a mainstay for fiction because it's a simple, intuitive perspective to write. I like to think of it as the "battlefield reporter" point of view.

Third-person omniscient gets a bad rap but it's like martial arts, any fool can make a mockery of it but a master is a sight to behold. It's a "bird's-eye-view" of the story, and that doesn't make it any more or less worthwhile than other viewpoints. It's intentionally distant and alienated. This is not a bad thing! Third-person omniscient is how the Bible is written, and that has been a VERY influential book all things considered.

First-person perspective requires you to have a pretty complete understanding of your character's thought process. You can't just narrate things how you narrate them. You have to narrate them how your character would narrate them. They also let you get away with having very unreliable narration.

Aefener

I always write my stories in the 1st person because I feel I can connect with the protagonist more deeply that way. Of course, it has limitations like not being able to skip to different locations to see what other characters are doing but I still prefer it. As for reading, I don't really care. All that matters is that the story is well-written.

YuukeiRorogan

I just started writing and I only use 3rd pov cuz it's more easier that way and you don't need to use many pov change just to express one's character's thoughts, because you can put everything together in 3rd pov.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
I'm easy and have done all three but the one thing I really hate is first person present tense. Why is that even a thing!?

lambenttyto

Third person, but I'm not against first person, either. I like how Jonathan Maberry does it. The main character is in first person while the rest are in third. I'm writing a space opera like that right now.

Though lately, I'm really into third person omniscient. I love hopping heads.

autumnveir

How about a second person's point of view? What? Why are you not laughing? LAUGH!

Twistedskald

Depends on what I'm aiming for.
A story about the MC dominating a particular area, and require long descriptions of the environment, the society and the local politics= 3rd person.
A story about the MC exploring the world and discovering wonderous new items/places while operating with limited knowledge= 1st person.
Third person, but I'm not against first person, either. I like how Jonathan Maberry does it. The main character is in first person while the rest are in third. I'm writing a space opera like that right now.

Though lately, I'm really into third person omniscient. I love hopping heads.
That's what Dune did. Honestly, for that type of complex politicking combined with the mystery spy-thriller aspects basically made that style of writing a requirement to fully understand what was going on.

DubstheDuke

I tend to switch between 3rd person limited and 3rd person omniscient depending on how much information I want to reveal.