4th Wall Break in novels

LilRora

Mostly formless
It's absolutely possible, though (very) uncommon because it doesn't fit most stories. You won't have a plot- or romance-focused novel breaking the 4th wall cause... why would that be a good idea? Though some comedies and less serious stories can do that mainly in two ways (I think?).

One is to directly reference the readers, like asking them about something or explaining things to them. I'm pretty sure Dr. Stone is doing that? Though it's Mecha Senku speaking to readers, so it's not exactly that.

The other way is to make it in the form of character's thoughts, for example writing 'the readers must now be [...]', or something like that.

Last edited:

ShrimpShady

I mean yeah. It can be as simple as the POV character addressing the reader directly, or making a tongue-in-cheek meta jab at the tropes and conventions of the genre it belongs to.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
I have a novel where the mc (an eldritch and otherworldly entity) finds RoyalRoad, and uses it to communicate with us through the format of a web novel.
The story is in the format of the MC talking to the reader directly, attempting to find our world. Technically, it is 100% fourth wall break.

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Bad 4th wall breaks are obnoxious and unwelcome. Good 4th wall breaks are Shakespearian. Most 4th wall breaks are bad. Just like every other item in the toolbox, it's the usage that matters. Are you curious how a 4th wall break works in fiction? I mean, shit, read up on any number of Shakespeare's soliloquies. They're literally characters pouring their hearts out to the audience with nobody else around.

D

Deleted member 54065

So I was wondering, if 4th wall break is possible in the game, is it also possible to do it in mangas and novels? And if it is, how do they do it?
I did that in the first volumes of my main work, and the feedback is not that good, so I slowly removed it up to my present.

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
It's absolutely possible, though (very) uncommon because it doesn't fit most stories. You won't have a plot- or romance-focused novel breaking the 4th wall cause... why would that be a good idea? Though some comedies and less serious stories can do that mainly in two ways (I think?).

One is to directly reference the readers, like asking them about something or explaining things to them. I'm pretty sure Dr. Stone is doing that? Though it's Mecha Senku speaking to readers, so it's not exactly that.

The other way is to make it in the form of character's thoughts, for example writing 'the readers must now be [...]', or something like that.
I don't know if I consider that last point to really be a fourth wall break. If the MC was a novel/anime/game enthusiast or even casual consumer, and understood tropes and cliches, I don't see why it wouldn't be in character for them to have thoughts like that if they were in a novel/anime/game-like scenario.
An interesting thought I had while writing this was the early stage of an isekai where the MC uses thoughts like that as well as directly explaining things to a non-existent audience through their thoughts as a coping/escaping mechanism of some sort before shit gets real enough that they have to admit that they're in a new world. I think it would be an interesting take on the naivety isekai-victims sometimes have before they realize shit ain't a game anymore. Has probably been done before, and probably in a novel I read, but not to an extent where it was clearly and purposefully used as an important plot point early in. If anything it's just for some comedic purposes.

Agentt

Thighs
So I was wondering, if 4th wall break is possible in the game, is it also possible to do it in mangas and novels? And if it is, how do they do it?
4th wall breaks are very, extremely common in novels and mangas.

Like rom coms having lines like, "is this a rom com?"

Or just references to real life stuff like manga characters watching Avengers.

Or they can just comment on how bad the author is.

Same whenever a cliche happens

LilRora

Mostly formless
I just now thought about that, but if we're talking about mangas, it's extremely common for authors to draw the main characters of a manga giving announcements and all that. It's not a part of the story, but in some meaning that definitely is breaking the 4th wall.

I don't know if I consider that last point to really be a fourth wall break. If the MC was a novel/anime/game enthusiast or even casual consumer, and understood tropes and cliches, I don't see why it wouldn't be in character for them to have thoughts like that if they were in a novel/anime/game-like scenario.
An interesting thought I had while writing this was the early stage of an isekai where the MC uses thoughts like that as well as directly explaining things to a non-existent audience through their thoughts as a coping/escaping mechanism of some sort before shit gets real enough that they have to admit that they're in a new world. I think it would be an interesting take on the naivety isekai-victims sometimes have before they realize shit ain't a game anymore. Has probably been done before, and probably in a novel I read, but not to an extent where it was clearly and purposefully used as an important plot point early in. If anything it's just for some comedic purposes.
Yup, I see the point. I was speaking in more general terms, but I think it all depends on interpretation. Some people might say that referencing real life novels or people is breaking the 4th wall as well, so... you know.

Nice idea, by the way. Would be especially interesting if the mc was a streamer (vtuber?) and considered the situation they're in to be a stream or something.

Last edited:

Echimera

Do people really think 4th wall breaks started with video games?
That in thousands of years humans have been telling stories, people had characters blatantly recognice that they are in a story only in the last couple of decades?

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
That in thousands of years humans have been telling stories, people had characters blatantly recognice that they are in a story only in the last couple of decades?
Yes.

human

Comics have been doing 4th wall breaks for a while! For example, superhero comics have characters like Deadpool, Gwenpool, She-Hulk, Mister Mxyzptlk, and others. If you want specifically manga, 100 Girlfriends, Deadpool Samurai, Gintama (haven't read the manga so unsure), many author announcements, and probably numerous other manga have them

Novels have them as well! Though I can't really think of a specific one right now. Just check the tvtropes page lol

DeviousColony69

I mean, I only know 4th wall breaks in a video game but not in storytelling or writing (since I don't know any story works that's doing a 4th wall break)
Comics have been doing 4th wall breaks for a while! For example, superhero comics have characters like Deadpool, Gwenpool, She-Hulk, Mister Mxyzptlk, and others. If you want specifically manga, 100 Girlfriends, Deadpool Samurai, Gintama (haven't read the manga so unsure), many author announcements, and probably numerous other manga have them

Novels have them as well! Though I can't really think of a specific one right now. Just check the tvtropes page lol
I haven't read those comics you've mentioned but I do know some of it has done a 4th wall break. Especially Deadpool 🗿🗿
just read Deadpool Samurai
I'm not even surprised if Deadpool does that all the time 🗿🗿
By...wait for it... breaking the fourth wall!🎊
Ah, yes. The floor is made out of floor

I've read a manga before (I don't even wanna write the title cuz it's too long oof) where the FML casually told us readers that she'll make a comeback soon. It's creepy but cool at the same time

DeviousColony69

I mean yeah. It can be as simple as the POV character addressing the reader directly, or making a tongue-in-cheek meta jab at the tropes and conventions of the genre it belongs to.
I did not think that that kind of thing is considered a 4th wall break
Bad 4th wall breaks are obnoxious and unwelcome. Good 4th wall breaks are Shakespearian. Most 4th wall breaks are bad. Just like every other item in the toolbox, it's the usage that matters. Are you curious how a 4th wall break works in fiction? I mean, shit, read up on any number of Shakespeare's soliloquies. They're literally characters pouring their hearts out to the audience with nobody else around.
Shakespearean works is for English nerds (no offense btw)

BlackKnightX

Well, of course. It’s quite common in comedy. If we’re talking about manga, then there’s Dr. Slump by Akira Toriyama—the same mangaka who created Dragon Ball. He’s very fond of 4th wall break. Heck, he even plays around with the panels and inserts his own avatar into the story from time to time. Good ol‘ fun. Love it.

aimless

Wanderer of Forums
I have a novel where the mc (an eldritch and otherworldly entity) finds RoyalRoad, and uses it to communicate with us through the format of a web novel.
The story is in the format of the MC talking to the reader directly, attempting to find our world. Technically, it is 100% fourth wall break.
Where lol, i can’t find it on your profile