500 word limit full story starting with "A crack of thunder"

CJWrites

I'm stealing this from a discord group I'm in with weekly writing prompts as a contest. If enough people want to participate we can make this a contest where the story with the most likes can pick the next topic or starting line. (Or steal the idea further and just do your own, I don't care)

This can be anything you want as long as it starts with that bit of text. No more than 500 words to make it a challenge for making a complete story. Have fun with it and let the magic happen.

Cheers

Alrighty, I gave this a shot. Somehow, it's 500 words exactly.

---
A crack of thunder was not what I expected to hear after reaching out my hand for my mother. Sure, there were a few clouds in the sky, and it was nearing that stormy season, but it was extremely unlikely for that same sound to be paired with the electrocution of the bandit near my mother. Right before my eyes, the stubbled and smelly man collapsed in a fried corpse. The area around him was sizzling.

At first, I thought it was the work of the gods. Had my family’s prayers protected us? We were a humble lot. In this unknown town, there weren’t many things to do, and we were so far off the trail that there were almost no visitors. Traders and merchants never found the trip to be worth it, and bandits were near unheard of, with there being basically no treasure to take. In fact, why were these bandits even here?

Regardless of the reason, I had no time to think, as the rotund friend of the charred man came barreling towards me. Being the unconfrontational person that I was, all I could do was shield my body with my arms, waiting for whatever pain would come to grace me. Yet, again, I heard that crack of thunder.

Again? The big-bellied goon now looked more like a pile of dough. Eugh. That was not a pleasant sight, but I could endure it. What in the heavens was happening?

I looked down at myself to see if I was alright, only to notice that my hands were blue and sparkly. Oh dear. Was I the one who threw those bolts? And if so, how did that even work? If I was anybody else, I would have freaked out by now. Hearing the wavered voice of my mother call out to me, I paid them no mind and rushed to her. I noticed that the other bandits had fled.

“Mother, are you alright?”

“Yes, honey, but your hands, and those sparks and sounds, what did you do?”

“I… I’m not entirely sure…”

Going from Mother’s statements, I was indeed the wielder of the lightning. This was entirely an anomaly. Elemental powers existed only in children’s fables of old. And even then, those powers were granted to nobility and other figures of high stature. An uncultured and impoverished peasant like myself would not even dream of such ability.

Something was clearly amiss. If this was anything like the fables, then people with power such as this would have annoying problems that exceeded far beyond bandit raids and a lack of money. Things like power struggles and worlds of red tape. I had read up on the royal capital, as I had planned to work there to send money back to the village. If someone, anyone, caught wind of my ability, then I would be hunted faster than a rabbit. Sighing to myself, I decided to immediately rescind that dream. I’m not dealing with that life. I’ll just stay here.

Last edited:
A crack of thunder.

Two cracks of thunders.

Three cracks of thunders.

Four cracks of thunders.

Zzz...

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
A crack of thunder shattered the cerulean moon. A violent rumbling grew louder. Bits of tinfoil, glass, metal, and human flesh flew everywhere. Students fell to the ground in terror. Fortunately, it was at the beginning of the day. A jubilant drone passed over the grounds, and the armed men on the hill began yelling, "Go, go, go! The surrender is in sight!" The rapturous cry startled students from all around. The gunmen sat back down, readjusted their rifle slung over their shoulders, and began the grim work of climbing the hill. The gunshot seemed to shake the whole campus, and one student screamed, "They're firing, too. Guns. A gun shot just went off, and -"

The above may or may not have been written by a bot

kira

Fun! I am going to try now..🙃

A crack of thunder resounds in the dark night as Jiang JieJie runs through the forest. They are coming.. When she reaches the small mountain village she worriedly looks towards a broken cottage, I must hide him well.

When she opens the door a small boy smiles brightly then hugs her slender legs,, “Sister, you are back.. “ Jiang JieJie’s heart beats erratically as the sound of thunder and lightning continues shaking the tiled roof. The war has begun...

She kneels on the floor cradling her little brother’s tender face in her hands, “Cang you know how much sister loves you right?” She kisses his forehead, “So you need to do exactly what I say..do you understand?”

He gazes at his sister, his golden eyes full of confusion, “Why does sister look so sad?” Jiang JieJie’s beautiful emerald green eyes are misty. She wipes her eyes with the sleeve of her ripped blue dress as she answers, “Because Sister will miss you too much. I need to leave for awhile. I have sent a crow... Uncle will come tomorrow to pick you up but until then you must hide.” I can not let the only person I love in this world be used as a bargaining chip. I thought I had more time to prepare, my sixteenth birthday is not until next month. Damn you all for coveting my legacy! Neither side is worthy of this power!

Cang puts his chubby hands on his hips, “Uncle Baldy? No! I will stay until you get back, I can take care of myself, I will be eight soon.”

“...” Uncle Baldy?

“Cang, do as I say when I get back I will bring you a Mist Dragon.”

His eyes light up, “A Purple.. Purple Mist Dragon.” I will be able to fly!

“Yes, I promise.”

“I will go with Uncle but you can not be gone longer than a week.”

She holds up five fingers, “Five days..I will pick you up at Uncle Chen’s. Now come with me.” She grabs some food and water in one hand holding his small hand in the other.

Jiang JieJie lifts a floorboard under an old tattered rug in the bedroom, she jumps down then holds her hands up, “Come.”

“JieJie! I never knew this room was here!”

After the boy lays down on a wooden bed, she tenderly kisses his cheek, “Be brave Uncle will be here tomorrow.”

“I will.” He reminds her,“ A Purple Mist Dragon...Purple.”

“Purple..got it. “ Of course the little prince wants a purple one.. The rarest and hardest to catch! Jiang JieJie jumps up out of the secret room replacing the floorboard and rug.

Listening to the deafening sound of Demon Thunder getting closer she opens the wall, a golden sword inlaid with green spirit stones floats to her hand as glowing light surrounds her body.

You will never capture me!

Last edited:

crimson_carnation

Here's my attempt~ Maybe it's a little cliche 😅

A crack of thunder rent the air and lightning split the sky. The stark light made the falling drops of rain gleam like needles.

He arduously trudged up the steep, sludgy path, his black cloak flapping in the howling wind like the wings of a frantic crow. He pulled down the cloak’s hood to shield his face futilely.

On his way, he met other people hurrying downward. They didn’t care about a lone man braving the weather, except a few.

“Where are you headed,” they’d ask.

“To the mansion at the top of the hill,” he’d reply

Their eyes would widen, some growing pale. “Haven’t you heard of the immortal monster living there?”

“I have.”

“Many have gone there hoping it would grant them immortality too, but none returned. Do you go there to ask for something as well?”

“I suppose so.”

His answer never reassured them. They would continue to insist he abandon his foolish task before finally giving up in the face of his stubbornness and leave him to his fate.

He would only smile and continue his trek.

As he approached the summit, the shadows grew thicker and deeper. Teeth clicked, throats hissed, and tongues rasped. Strange cries echoed from the depths of the foliage bordering the path. Inhuman eyes blinked open and tracked him as he made his way up steadily.

He finally reached the hilltop and pushed open the groaning metal gates, then walked up to the mansion’s doors.

The anxiously hunched figure of a man stood by the doorway. “Do you seek the monster too?” the man asked.

“Yes,” he answered, pulling down the hood even lower. “And you?”

“My brother went to meet the monster and never returned. I’m here to kill it and bring him back.” The man tried to look brave but failed.

“Let’s go in, then,” he said and pushed open the doors to the mansion.

They entered and surveyed the interior steeped in pitch darkness.

Looking around, the man nervously asked, “How do you suppose we should find the monster?”

“What need is there to find him when he’s in front of you?”

The doors shut with a creak and a thud, trapping the man in. Pale blue light flickered to life, illuminating the interior.

The man startled and whirled towards his companion.

The cloaked one pushed his hood down and greeted the man with a familiar face. “Welcome to my home.”

“B-Brother?!”

The cloaked one smiled. “No, I only wear his body. How else do you think I maintain my immortality? It’s only possible due to fools like you offering yourselves to me.”

Vaporous vines quickly slithered up the man’s legs like snakes and bound him in place. He squirmed and struggled in vain.

“Now,” said the cloaked one as he stepped towards his guest. “If you’d be kind enough to stay still, I can make this painless.”

Thunder boomed and blended with a scream of terror, and another person who sought the monster vanished.

Last edited:

CJWrites

Here's my entry.

---------------

A crack of thunder boomed in the Colosseum. The skies opened up and rain poured down in a deluge, washing away the blood in the sand of the arena. The emperor lay dead, a look of shock etched into his pudgy features. The gladiator he had been facing wore an equally stunned look as he hadn't even lifted his blunted sword yet. A spear had streaked over his head and punched through the thick chest and back plates the ruler wore for protection, pinning his body to the ground. He had been a fool, but not a stupid one. The audience, soldiers and guards looked on in flabbergasted silence, trying to absorb what had just happened.

As the heavy rain slackened after a moment, its sound was replaced by the spectral laughter of a woman. Her laughter louder while a shimmering image appeared over the arena that somehow seemed to look each person straight in the eye, no matter where they were. Her voice boomed throughout the open space, causing most to cower in fear. “I told him that I would have my revenge when he least expected it, and now that time is here. The unjust rule of Pompeo the Cruel is over. I have ensured that none of his spawn survive and there is no clear succession.”

She laughed again with a crazed look in her eyes. “Even now as some of you have dreams of glory, I will tell you that I will not tolerate another tyrant in his stead. My eyes are many and I will be watching you most closely. Should another terror rise to take his place, be assured that I will strike that one down, just as surely as this pitiful bug was. Heed not my words and I will burn this kingdom down, leaving no stone standing upon another. The land will be blighted so that nothing will ever grow here again.”

The ghostly image seemed to intensify as her maniacal laughter erupted again. Suddenly it stilled and her voice was serious once again. “You have been warned. I will be watching.” The last word hung in the air as the image vanished.

Canaan

Ok i will try this dont sorry if my english is to good😤😤😤😤

A crack of thunder was not what I expected to hear in my walk after school, but I ignore it and run to my house afraid rain will come but a crack of thunder in 2 time blackness is what welcoming I.

Where is this, why a room is so bright and white, after few momen i hear booming voice greet me " greating mortal, I a god of creation and I appolegize because of me you got fried to crisp as my appolegize I will grant you all you wish" answer the god. So basicaly i died because of god huh, I will not ask god why I dead because I to tired to ask him. I will definetly say my wish " appolegize accepted kamisama, If you can kamisama please send me to unnpopulted dimension with my waifu, grant me and my waifu immortality and all multiverse knowlage and equipmen to build society so I and my wife can goes to adventure in Multiverse" as I said that God give me answer " hmmmmm Interisting wish mortal to make it simpel mortal i will give you nanite or nano machine with that you will have immortality and power to build civilization and your wish with wife you are single mortal how you want to got send in that dimension with wife..." before god finish his answer i cut him first " kamisama you have ability to read my mind right? If you have it please read my mind" while I said that to god he just give me booming laugh " hahahahahaha inded mortal I have that ability when you come here I already reading your mind so just go and save adventure mortal and take care your wife mortal love her and protec her" after that a crack of thunder heard again and blackness is welcoming I again.

Uggggh where is this? And i remembering when i meet a god in white space i look araund I what I sew is a beach and forest as wave of water is hitting my feet i hear a faint sound of feminime moaning and I run toward the sound what is standing of me is beutiful and sexy girl when my brain shuting down her sexy lips is moving " who are you and where is this and are you the one who saving me if it......" before she finish her sentence i cut her in " ahhhhh my name is canaan to answer you is yes ( I tell her my wish and meeting god) why are crying please dont cry " as i said that give her my best to calm her down she said this" thank you thank you, my name is bismark from iron blood faction and thank you because of you i got out of that purgatory" i decide to answer her because i know what will her next action is " please hear I first when see you in azur lane and when i watch your story I fallen in love with you, to see you command and loving all your faction and your sacrafise for your faction this is what i can do for you please be my wife!!" What her action next is giving I surprise, she give I kiss and answer that make I hearth skiping.
" yes my answer is yes please be my husband" hhhh her answer is making my eyes watering in my live I always alone, after dad and mom died I feel lose in dog eat dog world this is best moment of my and this time maybe i can't give her wedding dress but a can give her a house and this time I give all my focuse and scan all suronding place and I found cave filled with ore and I send my nanites in that place.

After few secound like a years i feel i can build a house in this place and i said this to her "bismark maybe I can't give you wedding dress but let I build a house for us, to build our fondation for our family" as I said that her answer is already decided " I dont cares abaut weding dress I just want for us to be together for enternity" lets build our future together in this place my wife. This is where our story start maybe just maybe you will heard our next story....FIN

Hahahahaha if you want you can take this as idea to start your own story because cmon man lets face it we dont have this tipe story in this site
15a22e8808c024d5676432612352.jpg
and ciau