500 word limit story starting with 'Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing'

CJWrites

Hey all,

Like last time, this prompt can be anything you want as long as it starts with that bit of text. No more than 500 words to make it a challenge for making a complete story. Have fun with it and let the magic happen.

The one with the most likes wins and gets to choose the next topic. (Give or take a week of lag time)

Have fun!

Cheers

CJWrites

Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing as smoke filled the room. The man tried waving it away from him but it only seemed to make things worse. Half blind he felt his way to the sink where he found the bucket he kept there and started to fill it. While it was filling he took his shirt off and wet it in the flowing water before tying it around his face to protect from the fumes. It didn't stop the coughing or his eyes watering in the acrid smoke. Bucket filled he grabbed it, turned and flung it towards the flames he could only partially see and whipped it back around under the still running water. He'd been rewarded in his efforts with a sizzling sound and a reduction in the flickering light. Two more filled to the brim buckets did the trick in putting the fire out.

"That was close. So very close" he muttered to himself between coughs.

The large door opened at the opposite end of the room, allowing the swirling smoke to escape. A voice called out of the blinding light from the doorway. "Sir? Are you ok?"

"Of course I am. Do think me incompetent?" Was the sharp reply.

"Of course not sir."

"Excellent. You would suffer my wrath otherwise!"

"Yes sir. Why don't you come this way so we can clean things up?"

"Yes! Have the servants clean this mess. I need to work on my formula. I was so close this time! A couple more tweaks and it should be perfect" he cried with a gleam in his watery eyes.

"Mr. Blumenthal, how many times do we have to tell you that you are not a super villain and this garden shed is not your laboratory? Did you take your medicine today?" the nurse asked while removing the suit covered shirt from around his head.

"Silence woman! I will not have such insolence!"

Taking him by the arm and leading towards the main hospital building she said "Yes sir" in a long suffering voice.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing as Flynn cowers in the corner of the floor. He doesn't look at me as the others pass by, too afraid to stand up for him. The sting grows until the entire limb explodes. "Get out," Yori says, holding him upright. The man flails for a moment, kicking and splashing at him. It turns into a tumble and Flynn spits out his guts. "That was dumb," Yori says. "Just dumb." I scold them all for their rough treatment of Flynn. He's a wonderful person, and I couldn't care less if he's turned in the other inmates. If anything, he seems like a good character actor now.

Like last time, may or may not have been written by a bot

Shadehaven

Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing.

"HAHAHAHAHA!" *cough* "YES! I HAVE DONE IT!"

James rolled his eyes at his crazy roommate at a college in San Francisco. A relationship which just happened to be a bit more than he expected.

"James, what in god's holy name have you done now?"

"I HAVE DIVIDED BY ZERO!"

Silence filled the room.

The abyss has absorbed all noise, everything chillier than whatever might be below absolute zero.

"You. What?"

"I have divided by zero, Kevin."

"No. No! You monster! You couldn't have!"

"You are but an ant compared to me! I AM GOD!"

"IMPOSSIBLE! THIS CANNOT BE!"

"REALITY IS MINE TO COMMAND!"

"BY THE OLD GODS OF THE SOLEMN PLEDGE, THIS DEED MUST BE REBUKED!"

"NO OATH CAN WITHHOLD ME, FOOL!"

"BY MY WORDS SHALL THE ARCANA OF TIMES PAST HEED ME, FOR IT WILL BEND TO MY WILL! HANDS, NOW SHEATHED IN FROZEN PLAZMA, SHALL PUT YOUR TRAITOROUS HEART TO ETERNAL REST!"

"YOU CAN TRY, Kevin, BUT YOU WILL NOT SUCCEED."

An explosion of infinite mass and true cold washed over the entirety of the city. Thousands died, bodies in an eternal state of both within and without time. Nature had no hold, for even Nature bends knee to those above it.

"I NOW HAVE NO MORTAL COIL Kevin! MY BOUNDS ARE LIMITLESS!"

"I SHALL SHOW YOU, James, THAT EVEN BEING LIMITLESS HAS ITS LIMITS!"

"AS THE BIBLE DID SAY, FOR DUST THOU ART, AND UNTO DUST SHALT THOU RETURN!"

"FUUME-SHALLASTA-BIOGMANFIORGAGHAGHMANATOG, I INVOKE YOUR OLD RITES UPON THIS BEING!"

"DO AS YOU WISH, FOR I SHALL DRAIN ENERGY FROM THE VERY EARTH!"

With a single movement, everything once alive within the country was reduced to nothingness, not even the motions of electrons to churning as any life or movement showed collapse.

The entire continent trembled as a being older than time itself set its glare upon the lands of new, the burden of such an action sending it back within the briny depths. Words of incoherent truths of the universe mumbled into both of their ears, that the deaf may hear and the blind may see, but cause no more innocent than this: The end is nearing.

"CHILD'S PLAY!"

"THE ALL-EXPANSE OF THESE CREATURES CAN COUNT HOWEVER MANY INFINITIES YOU HAVE! TO RESIST THE WEIGHT OF ITS EYES DOES NOT AN IMPRESSION MAKE!"

The world could not make a defense as James drew on things that both existed and never have, and Kevin wrought upon him the primordial energies of soils far beyond the reach of unreachability. Sions of proportions beyond fragile imaginations came from grave yet undisturbed.

"LAST CHANCE Kevin."

"WOULD I NOT SAY THE SAME FOR YOU, James?"

The powers of true source coalesced into the imbeuer's fist, while made darkness beyond dark went into the foe's.

""YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!""

James and Kevin sat on a sofa, playing video games.

"Gah, fuck."

"Heh, got ya again."

They shared a good laugh.

"Though seriously, who's going to pay for the repairs?"

Thanks.

TowerGuy

"Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing," he says.

"What?" I reply absentmindedly while fixing my skirt.

"Isn't that it? Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing."

"What do you mean," I insist, turning to him.

"I mean... The password...?"

"Which password?"

"To get free... You know..."

"Free what?"

"Forget it."

"No, say it."

"It's something I read online. If you say these words to a girl... No. It's dumb anyway. Forget it."

"Say it!"

"Did you hear what they are saying about Lara Summers?"

"Don't change the subject! I wanna know!"

"Know what?" he asks with an innocent face.

"What that sentence is supposed to get you for free!"

"Stuff."

"Which stuff?"

"You know, that kind of stuff."

"Goddamit, just tell me already!"

"Nope."

"Please?"

"Um-um."

"Pretty please?"

He rolls his eyes. "Alright. But you must pay for it."

That sounds suspicious. "What do you want?"

"A kiss."

"Never."

"Well, you'll never know then." He turns his face.

I smile, take a deep breath, pull the underlying energies of reality, and say, "Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing."

The world stops. Time shatters. Space ceases to be. Chaos reigns.

In the void of everything, at the inter-dimensional point that touches upon all of existence, those words swirl. I see all possibilities that might come
from saying them. I see their past. I see more.

I see all that was and shall ever be.

And I see the stupid post on the internet where the sentence came from and realize he wanted a way to have sex with me.

Not just any sex. Powerful, primal sex. For hours, days. A life filled with it for years to come. All positions, all locations, all my fantasies fulfilled.

From there, I see him grow into a man that all women desire, but he is only mine. I see myself growing into a woman I respect. He loves me more
than I love myself. I have never been so happy in my life.

It might've taken instants or years for reality to reconstruct itself. I wouldn't know, time had ceased to exist. But when it does come back, I'm at
the same place, looking at the ashamed young man with freckles that I had been friend-zoning for years.

"Just fuck me already," I say breathlessly.

He smiles, happy he paid for the subscription to the pick-up artist website. "Best ten bucks of my life," he whispers.

I open my mouth to tell him how dumb he sounds.

But he is already upon me and nothing matters anymore.

---

I admit Mister Division by Zero might have rubbed on me =P

A may be a bit tardy with this, but here you go.
---
Maniacal laughter turns to coughing and wheezing as my lord, the Demon King starts choking on a chip. I immediately panic. What? Huh? I was just cleaning the throne room, and my lord was practicing his endgame speech for the heroes while snacking on some treats. Naturally, as a mere maid on her second day of the job, I dared not approach him.

Of course, I would speak nothing of his practice. It was not my business. My lord was the pinnacle of all demons. Scary and powerful with a booming voice. Hearing him struggle on a speech was quite possibly the juiciest piece of gossip I could ever come across. Yet, I controlled myself because whispering about it meant the death of me.

So…

What in Heck was I supposed to do about this situation?! Clearly my lord was having trouble breathing, but the rules of the land said that touching the Demon Lord without permission would be punishable by death. I’m hearing some very dangerous sounds coming from him, and at this point he’s scrunched over with his claws digging into the throne room floor. His face is flashing through a myriad of colors, and… is he looking at me?!

What is he doing? Why is he crawling over to me? My lord, to see you in such a position, it is unsightly! He beckons me to come closer. Still clutching his throat, he punches himself in the gut, and then points at me.

“My lord, what do you want me to do? I’m not allowed to touch you! You don’t want to receive a punch to the gut, do you?”

He nods frantically.

…I’m supposed to punch my lord?! I’ll never hear the end of it from the Head Maid if she finds out! And will that really do anything? My lord is at least 9ft tall, and I’m the size of a short human! Calm down, the lord’s commands are priority. I muster all the strength I have into my right fist and slug my kneeling lord right in the gut, only to feel intense pain in my hand. Ow! That did nothing!

“My lord, I’m not strong enough to do something like this! …My lord? Lord King, are you alright?!”

My lord is crumpled upon the floor. I poke at his body only to realize that it is lifeless. Oh dear. I can see my lord’s spirit escaping his body. Wait! My lord just passed on! The chip killed him!

The doors to the throne room burst open and my lord’s Greatest Generals run in. Immediately they kneel and declare their loyalty to me, their new Demon King.

“Wait, what? What?”

“You have bested the previous Demon King, Mistress, so we are now loyal to you.”

“But the chip…”

“Your orders, Mistress?”

I’m the new King? A mere maid? In all the confusion I could only think of one thing.

“Ban all chips, every brand and flavor. I don’t want to see them ever again!”