A feature to download your entire web novel

georgelee5786

2024 Shovel Duel Champion
I see nothing wrong with this idea, but it doesn't seem like a feature that would be used frequently. Would it be author-exclusive or could anyone do it?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Fanfiction.net has a feature like this, though I only half used it one time.

kophzi

Author exclusive function for sure, lest we make it easier for rippers to steal entire novels in a single button click, rather than writing out their own codes.

Like, if scribblehub servers ever get hit by some ransomware, my webnovel will be done for.

pumpkinewe

I know ao3 also has a feature like this where you can download full epubs of fanfictions and the like. Perhaps something could be implemented like this feature but authors only?

Kidd_Wadsworth

YES! YES! YES! I want this feature. Please put it in NOW.

As I get comments, I edit my work. Then I go back and change my original word document. Thus, I have two copies, one here and one on my computer. If a feature existed which allowed me to download the entire novel from SH, I could make SH my primary copy, occasionally downloading and backing it up on my computer, eliminating the need for me to constantly keep two copies updated and identical. This is such a needed feature.

PLEASE put this in!!!

--Kidd

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
Please, Tony-sama...
🙏🙏🙏🙏

Evie11

You could just use an existing webnovel downloader program, I use FanFicFare, it can do ePub and plaintext outputs

SirDogeTheFirst

Lord Of The Potatoes
I mean you can already use third-party apps to download your novel, so why not add a button to make this simpler for authors?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
People with stories over a hundred chapters: :sweating_profusely:
Relative to how long it took to write. . .

ctrl a
ctrl c
open word, ctrl v

You could knock out 100 chapters in less than an hour

Lire

I Wanna Be, The Very Best. Like No One Ever Was!
You could knock out 100 chapters in less than an hour
An hour that can be reduced to a minute or two with the help of this function.

You could pump out a few hundred words for your next chapter using the time that you saved. Or you could procrastinate. Maybe watch a few Youtube shorts/tiktoks then end up swiping down for hours. You could also touch some grass!

Anyway, the possibilities are endless!

MajorKerina

I like to torture myself with repetitive tasks, so I have no problem backing up one by one although the addition of this feature would be a nice convenience for the author

Aiyoki

Why only a USB though? Aren't there cloud save options you could upload to in addition to having your novel saved to your machine and/or a USB?

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
Why only a USB though? Aren't there cloud save options you could upload to in addition to having your novel saved to your machine and/or a USB?
Why not use a USB? Clouds usually have huge privacy issues and using one over a simple USB just is not as convenient.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.
So, my usb that holds my web novel has died.
Copying, pasting and saving every chapter from scribblehub doesn't feel that great.
But, I'm also afraid of losing it entirely, can there be a feature to download the work?
Would formatting be kept, as well as all the footnotes, announcements, and author's notes?

VictorDLopez

The ability to download ePub or PDF files might be useful if available only to authors for their own work for anyone who writes content using the site's built-in editor (I do not). But I would not like such a feature to be available to readers as it would make it easier to pirate complete works. It would also hurt authors in terms of "reads" and readers' opportunity to comment, rate or review novels as they read--and hurt SH in terms of ad revenue if readers download complete novels to read off-line.

I welcome readers having access to read some of my work online without cost even though everything I post here is also available for sale at most booksellers, but do not want to allow folks who ignore copyright laws out of ignorance or malice to pirate works with even greater ease.